Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-330

Olympus E-330 E-330 specific discussion.

Old 30th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oly 330 is used in cancer research

According to the Gizmag website, the Rice University (Houston, Texas) is using an Oly E-330 in the detection of cancer cells.
The camera is coupled to a fibre optic device whereas an imaging technique using fluorescent dye can detect oral cancer cells.

The main benefit of this system is the low cost thanks to the relative inexpensive Olympus camera.

I always thought that they were fixed on canikon systems in these kind of research, but apparently some researchers have seen the light… ;-)

Karel
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogcow For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (24th December 2010)
Old 30th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Oly 330 is used in cancer research

It was for situations just like this that I argued the case for open source firmware on here a while ago - I was going to quote the article you mention as just one example where it could be extremely useful if the users could alter the camera to exactly their needs but the debate fizzled out quickly so I left the thread to die. TBH I reckon it's only the E330 liveview that drew them to Olympus in this case - as I'm sure they would have more collective experience to draw on and have a greater ability to alter the camera to suit had they used canikon gear instead.
Old 30th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah, I missed your 'open firmware' thread. But that is an interesting discussion.
I do not know to what extend the RAW processing algorithm is proprietary. I can imagine that each sensor uses its own 'Bayer array' configuration and that the proper processing algorithms are considered intellectual property of the designers.
But I am speculating here as I don't know how common these algorithms are.
Old 24th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A bit of a late reply but...

I wonder if Olympus will look to productionise this technology given they are very big in medical optics? It'd give Olympus Imaging some well earned ROI from the E-330 technology.