Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13th October 2017
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 366
Thanked 462 Times in 438 Posts
Likes: 1,462
Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Folks
I have tried on and off to focus one or two of my M42 lenses on the Oly, without much success. I can't find any way to either find the true focus point, or to magnify the image so that I can see whether I've got it in focus or not. When i had a Panasonic G2, I used a 500mm manual lens on it, and could see easily if it was in focus or not: it beeped and flashed up the focus rectangle when it was in focus; but the M1 doesn't seem to have means of doing that.

Am i missing something? Or am I going up a blind alley?

Many thanks for help/advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15th October 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,651
Thanks: 56
Thanked 785 Times in 716 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,674 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Folks
I have tried on and off to focus one or two of my M42 lenses on the Oly, without much success. I can't find any way to either find the true focus point, or to magnify the image so that I can see whether I've got it in focus or not. When i had a Panasonic G2, I used a 500mm manual lens on it, and could see easily if it was in focus or not: it beeped and flashed up the focus rectangle when it was in focus; but the M1 doesn't seem to have means of doing that.

Am i missing something? Or am I going up a blind alley?

Many thanks for help/advice!
I use mostly manual film lenses on my EM-1, with no problem. I do have focus peaking as an aid.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th October 2017
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 366
Thanked 462 Times in 438 Posts
Likes: 1,462
Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I use mostly manual film lenses on my EM-1, with no problem. I do have focus peaking as an aid.

Harold
OK, Harold, that was what I expected to do; but it prompts the question, do your manual lenses have an electrical connection to the camera body? M42 (screw) lenses don't, and although I set the focus peaking to On, it doesn't do anything when I focus the lens.

Perhaps you have OM series lenses?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15th October 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,792
Thanks: 592
Thanked 421 Times in 373 Posts
Likes: 787
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

I may be confusing Panasonic with Olympus terminology, but I think you have to 'inform' the camera to 'shoot' without a lens. That aside, mirrorless cameras are designed for and work best with AF lenses.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15th October 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,651
Thanks: 56
Thanked 785 Times in 716 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,674 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
OK, Harold, that was what I expected to do; but it prompts the question, do your manual lenses have an electrical connection to the camera body? M42 (screw) lenses don't, and although I set the focus peaking to On, it doesn't do anything when I focus the lens.

Perhaps you have OM series lenses?
No electrical connection is involved. Focus peaking is a function of the sensor.

I have lenses of various makes but rarely use OM ones. ( I have quite a few). Some are not even photographic (camera) lenses. The sensor doesn't care what the lens is, just the light that comes through.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15th October 2017
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 366
Thanked 462 Times in 438 Posts
Likes: 1,462
Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
No electrical connection is involved. Focus peaking is a function of the sensor.

I have lenses of various makes but rarely use OM ones. ( I have quite a few). Some are not even photographic (camera) lenses. The sensor doesn't care what the lens is, just the light that comes through.

Harold
Again, that's what I thought (and what the G2 Pana did). So what am I doing wrong?? It sets itself to MF, I've set both focus peaking and magnified focusing on. Is there something else that I'm not doing? Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? The manual doesn't tell me anything useful on the subject.

Not sure if it should work on the PL7, but I don't think that has focus peaking anyway, so I can't compare them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15th October 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,651
Thanks: 56
Thanked 785 Times in 716 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,674 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I may be confusing Panasonic with Olympus terminology, but I think you have to 'inform' the camera to 'shoot' without a lens. That aside, mirrorless cameras are designed for and work best with AF lenses.
I don't have to do that on the EM-1 (or the EP2).

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15th October 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 5,651
Thanks: 56
Thanked 785 Times in 716 Posts
Likes: 40
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,674 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
So what am I doing wrong?? It sets itself to MF, I've set both focus peaking and magnified focusing on. Is there something else that I'm not doing? Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? The manual doesn't tell me anything useful on the subject.

Not sure if it should work on the PL7, but I don't think that has focus peaking anyway, so I can't compare them.
"It sets itself to MF" bothers me. I think that may happen if I attached the LEICA DG VARIO-ELMAR 100-400mm and set manual focus on the lens. Otherwise, I have to select manual or AF in the menu, even if there is a fully manual lens attached.

I don't understand " Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? " that is additional (and optional) to any other settings I am using. It is rather capricuious, often functioning only once every three or four focusings through the subject. I have a button near the shutter release button allocated to FP.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15th October 2017
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,890
Thanks: 186
Thanked 639 Times in 567 Posts
Likes: 471
Liked 713 Times in 479 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

I have a distant memory that something was a bit odd - possibly that if you switched the viewfinder refresh rate to High, you could then not get Focus Peaking. I can't remember the details, but it might be worth checking.

John
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15th October 2017
shotokan101 shotokan101 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 214
Thanked 87 Times in 85 Posts
Likes: 713
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52215110
__________________
Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
RIA my Images
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16th October 2017
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 4,942
Thanks: 366
Thanked 462 Times in 438 Posts
Likes: 1,462
Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan101 View Post
Thank you. That was just the answer that I was looking for. I'll try it ASAP.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (16th October 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual Focus Glass iso The lounge 22 14th March 2017 02:11 PM
Manual focus with FBW lenses alfbranch Lens focus 4 25th January 2015 10:20 PM
For sale 2x ZD 14-54mm F2.8 pro lenses TOTALLY MINT. bluraybha For sale or wanted small ads 8 6th April 2013 07:59 AM
Manual Focus assistance on E5/E30 David Morison Olympus E-5 4 14th January 2011 01:17 PM
confirming manual focus MarkVarley Camera conference 6 30th December 2008 05:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:57 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger