Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 13th October 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Folks
I have tried on and off to focus one or two of my M42 lenses on the Oly, without much success. I can't find any way to either find the true focus point, or to magnify the image so that I can see whether I've got it in focus or not. When i had a Panasonic G2, I used a 500mm manual lens on it, and could see easily if it was in focus or not: it beeped and flashed up the focus rectangle when it was in focus; but the M1 doesn't seem to have means of doing that.

Am i missing something? Or am I going up a blind alley?

Many thanks for help/advice!
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 3,108 Times in 1,674 Posts
Re: Totally manual lenses - how to focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Folks
I have tried on and off to focus one or two of my M42 lenses on the Oly, without much success. I can't find any way to either find the true focus point, or to magnify the image so that I can see whether I've got it in focus or not. When i had a Panasonic G2, I used a 500mm manual lens on it, and could see easily if it was in focus or not: it beeped and flashed up the focus rectangle when it was in focus; but the M1 doesn't seem to have means of doing that.

Am i missing something? Or am I going up a blind alley?

Many thanks for help/advice!
I use mostly manual film lenses on my EM-1, with no problem. I do have focus peaking as an aid.

Harold
Old 15th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I use mostly manual film lenses on my EM-1, with no problem. I do have focus peaking as an aid.

Harold
OK, Harold, that was what I expected to do; but it prompts the question, do your manual lenses have an electrical connection to the camera body? M42 (screw) lenses don't, and although I set the focus peaking to On, it doesn't do anything when I focus the lens.

Perhaps you have OM series lenses?
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I may be confusing Panasonic with Olympus terminology, but I think you have to 'inform' the camera to 'shoot' without a lens. That aside, mirrorless cameras are designed for and work best with AF lenses.

on flickr
Old 15th October 2017

Quote:
OK, Harold, that was what I expected to do; but it prompts the question, do your manual lenses have an electrical connection to the camera body? M42 (screw) lenses don't, and although I set the focus peaking to On, it doesn't do anything when I focus the lens.

Perhaps you have OM series lenses?
No electrical connection is involved. Focus peaking is a function of the sensor.

I have lenses of various makes but rarely use OM ones. ( I have quite a few). Some are not even photographic (camera) lenses. The sensor doesn't care what the lens is, just the light that comes through.

Harold
Old 15th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
No electrical connection is involved. Focus peaking is a function of the sensor.

I have lenses of various makes but rarely use OM ones. ( I have quite a few). Some are not even photographic (camera) lenses. The sensor doesn't care what the lens is, just the light that comes through.

Harold
Again, that's what I thought (and what the G2 Pana did). So what am I doing wrong?? It sets itself to MF, I've set both focus peaking and magnified focusing on. Is there something else that I'm not doing? Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? The manual doesn't tell me anything useful on the subject.

Not sure if it should work on the PL7, but I don't think that has focus peaking anyway, so I can't compare them.
Old 15th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I may be confusing Panasonic with Olympus terminology, but I think you have to 'inform' the camera to 'shoot' without a lens. That aside, mirrorless cameras are designed for and work best with AF lenses.
I don't have to do that on the EM-1 (or the EP2).

Harold
Old 15th October 2017

Quote:
So what am I doing wrong?? It sets itself to MF, I've set both focus peaking and magnified focusing on. Is there something else that I'm not doing? Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? The manual doesn't tell me anything useful on the subject.

Not sure if it should work on the PL7, but I don't think that has focus peaking anyway, so I can't compare them.
"It sets itself to MF" bothers me. I think that may happen if I attached the LEICA DG VARIO-ELMAR 100-400mm and set manual focus on the lens. Otherwise, I have to select manual or AF in the menu, even if there is a fully manual lens attached.

I don't understand " Or should i set ONLY focus peaking on? " that is additional (and optional) to any other settings I am using. It is rather capricuious, often functioning only once every three or four focusings through the subject. I have a button near the shutter release button allocated to FP.

Harold
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 713 Times in 479 Posts

I have a distant memory that something was a bit odd - possibly that if you switched the viewfinder refresh rate to High, you could then not get Focus Peaking. I can't remember the details, but it might be worth checking.

John
Old 15th October 2017

Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52215110
Old 16th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan101 View Post
Thank you. That was just the answer that I was looking for. I'll try it ASAP.
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (16th October 2017)