Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 4th February 2008
emirpprime

Re: Mono pictures

Go for it! Im sure they'll be atleast a couple of takers Everyone likes showing off
Phil
Old 4th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
Go for it! Im sure they'll be atleast a couple of takers Everyone likes showing off
Phil
OK.
Here you are. I don't know if it's high enough resolution to do much with, if not please let me know. I know it's slightly underexposed, but we won't talk about that just now.

The only proviso is that you give your pp recipe along with the mono image, so we all know what's been done to get the results.

Have fun

Old 4th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
OK.
Here you are. I don't know if it's high enough resolution to do much with, if not please let me know. I know it's slightly underexposed, but we won't talk about that just now.

The only proviso is that you give your pp recipe along with the mono image, so we all know what's been done to get the results.

Have fun

Seems like you have a bit of work to do to bring your place up to standard Ellie
Old 4th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Seems like you have a bit of work to do to bring your place up to standard Ellie
Me? Houseproud? I spend too much time learning how to use my camera to bother with the old place!

The real idea was to see if you can turn this into a mono and say what you did
Old 4th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Me? Houseproud? I spend too much time learning how to use my camera to bother with the old place!

The real idea was to see if you can turn this into a mono and say what you did
Sorry but I could not resist the comment. Trying to work out if it will look any better in B/W - hard to imagine.

I shall have a go although I am a total novice!

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 5th February 2008
emirpprime

Right. Quick go.

I've converted it to a neutral, high contrast look. Not necessarily what you are after, but the method can be tweaked to get the results you are after.

There is also a video of the method which may be easier to understand than my typing (sorry about the big watermark on it)

http://www.customcreative.co.uk/ellie.m4v

Basically,
..Open the image

..In the layers palette, select New Adjustment Layer -> Channel Mixer

..Tick the monochrome button at the bottom

..Adjust the sliders to taste. The values should add up to 100. It is OK if they don't, but you are also making a levels adjustment if they dont (and we come to that in a minute). Ok when done.

..Go back to the layers palette and this time select a Curves adjustment layer.

..Slide the 2 ends of the straight line to set the white and black points (you can see the histogram under this line in grey. a good start is to set them just inside the edges of the histogram to create some pure black and white in the image)

..Now manipulate the line itself to taste by clicking on it and dragging. Each click will drop a handle which will also act like a pivot point. Creating an S shape will increase contrast. Bowing the line up will increase brightness, and the reverse decrease it.

Then you are done, unless you want to tone the image. the easiest way to do this, and since it isn't the focus of your question, is by using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Tick Colourise in the box, then adjust the Hue and Saturation sliders to achieve the look you want.

I hope that makes sense.
Chirp up if it isn't.
Phil
Old 5th February 2008
emirpprime

A couple of different approaches (and instructions if asked, but not unsolicited as my fingers are tired...):

These were actually done in Lightroom but it should be easy enough in Photoshop.

Phil
Old 5th February 2008
Xpres

OK - I couldn't resist. 30 seconds in Picassa.

Adjusted 'tuning', ie contrast and colour to bring out the brick.
Graduated tint for the sky
Filtered B&W - a bit of red to lighten the brick and not lose the sky
Tint - like toning
Sharpen - which is probably not needed.

this kind of approach does an OK job for a quick web posting or print but is no replacement for some photoshop/gimp PP. Not bad though.

this is the same unsharpened.

Last edited by Xpres; 5th February 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 5th February 2008
PeterD

Xpres & Phil

I like your conversions. One thing for sure, the original image has far more impact in B/W.

Overall, I prefer No 1 from Xpres although there appears to be a colour cast in the sky.

Kind regards

PeterD

PS I had a go too but my efforts were a disaster Told you I was a complete novice in PP
Old 5th February 2008

Liked 804 Times in 378 Posts

Ellie

I had to have a go. I have used photoshop replace colour option a number of times with specific colours replacing each with muted ones to produce a sort of hand coloured look. I tend to prefer gentle colour to black and white. A little smart sharpening and voila... another alternative.

Peter
Old 5th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Ellie

I had to have a go. I have used photoshop replace colour option a number of times with specific colours replacing each with muted ones to produce a sort of hand coloured look. I tend to prefer gentle colour to black and white. A little smart sharpening and voila... another alternative.

Peter
Peter,

I know you have addressed this to Ellie but I must admit I like your approach. Its even brought out some more detail of the inside of the luxury, much sought after property, set in the countryside, that would suit a DIY enthusiast.

PeterD
Old 5th February 2008
Scapula Memory

I`m sure whilst at work today I saw Ellie`s original picture in post #17, and now at home it is not there. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe I dreamt it!

Just re-activated Capture One 4 and was going to give it a go.

Oh well.

John
Old 5th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
I`m sure whilst at work today I saw Ellie`s original picture in post #17, and now at home it is not there. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe I dreamt it!

Oh well.

John
Its still there John. Just checked to see if the link was broken but all OK

PeterD
Old 5th February 2008

Liked 804 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post

Oh well.

John
John dreaming at work ... you surely mean giving due consideration to important issues (with eyes shut to aid concentration)

It was hosted on photobucket but appears to be slow (or down) at the minute.

I imagine it will come back.

Peter
Old 5th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Thank you to both Peters. Yes it is back now. So I never dreamt it

Think I should get some sleep....

John