Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th June 2008
ndl0071

The Regimental Photo

I arrived in Central London this morning a little early for a meeting that I was to attend, I decided to take a short walk down to St Jamesís Park whereupon I came across this scene taking place on Horseguards, the Regimental Photo, unfortunately I was unable to identify the kit being used and the technicians were far too busy to have me asking daft questions but suffice to say I donít think it was Olympus, anyway I whipped out my ever present 770SW and took a few frames
On the last photo you will see the gardeners in action, Yes they really were blowing the leaves off of the grass to be collected

Cheers
Neil
Old 12th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,982 Times in 2,319 Posts
Liked 3,990 Times in 1,881 Posts
Re: The Regimental Photo

That's an extremely original variation on a commonly photographed subject. It proves the value of a) being early, so you have a little time in hand, and b) allways have a camera with you!

Great stuff, Neil!

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th June 2008

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I agree.Great insight to preparation for these sort of events.Good angle on the shots as well.P.S.I like the shots advertising Cannons latest travel kit.
Iain
Old 13th June 2008
emirpprime

Great shots! I love the fact you caught a uniformed gent under the hood in the first shot.
On the blowers - they were everywhere in the US when I went recently! They seemed not to pick up or sweep but just blow. It may clean one area but just makes another dirty!
All the best,
Phil
Old 13th June 2008
giorgosmit

Yup, that's a tad bigger than the 4/3s teeny weeny sensor all right
Old 13th June 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

We have those blowers. They are great for herding leaves into piles for composting, and they also blow-dry wet leaves which simply can't be hoovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
On the blowers - they were everywhere in the US when I went recently! They seemed not to pick up or sweep but just blow. It may clean one area but just makes another dirty!
All the best,
Phil

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th June 2008
ndl0071

Hi

I'm glad that these shots were of some interest, with regard to the blowers I have to say that it did look like great fun I think the word 'herding' is an accurate description as that is exactly what it looked like, I was very tempted to ask to have a go myself

If anyone has any ideas how to remove (CS3) the 2nd gent from the first photo, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks
Neil

Last edited by ndl0071; 13th June 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 14th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It goes to show how carefully choreographed even the photographs have to be, I'm assuming they were preparing for the Queen's Birthday Trooping the Colour. I watched it on the television earlier today.

Your first picture is a superb "candid"