Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 10th March 2018

Liked 752 Times in 282 Posts
Lightroom

I have used it for years and happy with it, but I will not subscribe to Adobe, I have LR5 stand alone.
I will be upgrading my iMac this years and maybe the new machine will not run LR5 so i am looking for an alternative.
Old 10th March 2018

Liked 792 Times in 377 Posts
Re: Lightroom

Are you looking for something with equivalent photo organising and management capabilities or similar editing capabilities , or both?

One thing to remember is that if you are expecting an app to import your Lightroom catalogue with all the adjustments intact you will be out of luck. I am not aware of any app that can do that.

My Flickr
Old 10th March 2018

Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Sapper
I'm trying Luminar 2018. It doesn't have asset management yet but is said to coming during this year.
Old 10th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Are you looking for something with equivalent photo organising and management capabilities or similar editing capabilities , or both?
Yes, management and editing.
Old 10th March 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

Not sure why your new machine won't be able to run LR5 but I don't know Mac.
You can still buy the final non-subscription version of Lightroom 6 which is what I have and plan on continuing to use until I have a camera that isn't supported.
e.g. https://www.johnlewis.com/adobe-phot...uestid=3243747

I jumped into LR just before Adobe announced they were abandoning purchase only versions. I really like it and I haven't seen anything that's as good yet.

I heard good things about https://www.darktable.org/ but as a Windows user I was warned off it - the Mac version is more mature I believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
sapper (11th March 2018)
Old 10th March 2018

Liked 33 Times in 9 Posts

Ive heard good things about Acdsee too.....
https://www.techradar.com/news/david...-and-photoshop
Old 11th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
Not sure why your new machine won't be able to run LR5 but I don't know Mac.
You can still buy the final non-subscription version of Lightroom 6 which is what I have and plan on continuing to use until I have a camera that isn't supported.
e.g. https://www.johnlewis.com/adobe-phot...uestid=3243747

I jumped into LR just before Adobe announced they were abandoning purchase only versions. I really like it and I haven't seen anything that's as good yet.

I heard good things about https://www.darktable.org/ but as a Windows user I was warned off it - the Mac version is more mature I believe.
I am tempted to get the LR2 standalone. Does it support the EM1 Mk2?
Old 11th March 2018

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Count me as another who will not subscribe to Adobe. I am happy with LR6 at present and I have used LR for many years. However when I eventually have to purchase an alternative I will be looking at ACDSee.
https://www.acdsee.com/en/index
I have already trialled it and although the interface is considerbly different to LR, its functionality is in some respects better.
Old 11th March 2018

Liked 373 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I am tempted to get the LR2 standalone. Does it support the EM1 Mk2?
Dave,
LR version 6.9 (March 2017 update) was the first version to fully support the E-M1 mkii.
The latest (last) version of standalone LR is 6.14 (December 2017 update).

If you purchase any version of LR6 standalone (with a valid serial number !) you should be able to update it to v6.14.

BTW, even though it is a standalone version you have to install the Adobe Creative Cloud program (and register with an Adobe ID) in order to manage the version update process.
Hope this helps
Old 11th March 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

I'm in the same boat, currently running LR 6.14 and not willing to subscribe. There is no good replacement yet.

I took a punt on Luminar 2018. They claim a DAM (digital asset manager) will be available shortly (as a free upgrade) and that it will be able to handle LR catalogs. They haven't defined what "handle" means yet... I asked them specifically what would be supported and got a vague reply that didn't commit them to anything.

The editing process is quite different to LR and I would say still relatively basic compared to LR - not surprising since it's quite new. It supports layers for those that like them. I'm personally not too bothered about layers since the adjustment tools in LR are essentially another way of doing them (although disabling individual adjustments isn't possible as would be possible with true layers).

I've also got a copy of Affinity Photo which is getting some good reviews. I haven't really used it so far - it was a freebie and I haven't had the need or time to fiddle with it yet. It has no DAM although users are requesting one in the Serif forums.

Bottom line is that LR 6 will remain my tool of choice for the foreseeable future as I don't plan on buying a new body any time soon.

There's always the DNG converter if a new body did come along... (I'm not keen on DNG though)
sapper (11th March 2018)
Old 11th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I'm in the same boat, currently running LR 6.14 and not willing to subscribe. There is no good replacement yet.

I took a punt on Luminar 2018. They claim a DAM (digital asset manager) will be available shortly (as a free upgrade) and that it will be able to handle LR catalogs. They haven't defined what "handle" means yet... I asked them specifically what would be supported and got a vague reply that didn't commit them to anything.

The editing process is quite different to LR and I would say still relatively basic compared to LR - not surprising since it's quite new. It supports layers for those that like them. I'm personally not too bothered about layers since the adjustment tools in LR are essentially another way of doing them (although disabling individual adjustments isn't possible as would be possible with true layers).

I've also got a copy of Affinity Photo which is getting some good reviews. I haven't really used it so far - it was a freebie and I haven't had the need or time to fiddle with it yet. It has no DAM although users are requesting one in the Serif forums.

Bottom line is that LR 6 will remain my tool of choice for the foreseeable future as I don't plan on buying a new body any time soon.

There's always the DNG converter if a new body did come along... (I'm not keen on DNG though)
I use the DNG converter with LR5, that is one reason I am looking at LR6. It is OK, but just takes too long to convert the files, then to import the DNG files into LR.
Old 11th March 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I use the DNG converter with LR5, that is one reason I am looking at LR6. It is OK, but just takes too long to convert the files, then to import the DNG files into LR.
That's one of the reasons I'm not keen...

Fortunately, as someone noted earlier, support for the E-M1 MkII was added in an LR6 update, so I don't even have to consider that until I outgrow that camera (not going to happen any time soon).
sapper (11th March 2018)
Old 11th March 2018

Liked 723 Times in 263 Posts

I thoroughly recommend Capture One Pro from Phase One, there are plenty of articles on the web about it's capabilities as well as comparative reviews with Lightroom.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Gate Keeper (30th March 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (26th March 2018)
Old 26th March 2018

Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts

Last year I upgraded to a smaller and faster MacBook Pro. The old one had a stand alone LR 4. With its license no, I was able to install it onto the new MBP, no problem. In addition, I use Luminar 2018 and Aurora HD 2017. I dropped photoshop and LR CC last August. I will certainly look at the other editing software members have written about in this thread, thank you.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 26th March 2018

Liked 4,242 Times in 1,398 Posts

I understand why some might be horrified about subscription licensing, but it's the way the software industry is going. I can promise you that the cost of developing software is truly eye-watering and if we want the new features, new cameras, support etc then at some point we, collectively, need to pay for it.

An Adobe CC subscription is under 10/month. How much is a new Macbook Pro? - 2k for a decent one at least. That's 15-20 years of LR subscriptions. And don't even start to think about the cost of the gear, the outings, the prints etc. If you used to use film, how much did you spend on that and its processing?

Personally, I don't think that under 10 a month (3 posh coffees) is a crazy sum to pay for the top two photo editing apps available (LR + PS). You also get versions for tablets, a portfolio site builder and cloud storage. Factor in your time to migrate to other apps and figure out how to preserve historical edits and it makes even more sense.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (5th April 2018), MJ224 (26th March 2018), wornish (26th March 2018)