Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 10th February 2018

Liked 134 Times in 58 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg
Geotagging with Oi.Share now with Oi.Track...

Last week, I noticed that the Oi.Share application on my iPhone had been updated. This was of quite some significance to me as I use Oi.Share for geotagging my photos. "Add Geotag" now launches the app "Oi.Track".

You just need to slide the tag to "Start Logging" before taking photos and then slide it back when you have finished taking photos. Then you connect your camera to your phone and transfer the geotags. Easy!!?? Not quite!

Oi.Track responded with "No images taken during the recorded log". Panic

Looking around the net, I finally found somebody a lot brighter than I am who had been faced with the same problem and had found a solution:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60749639

It works! For me at least. Now my heart can start beating a bit more slowly.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
AMc (12th February 2018), bassman (11th February 2018), drmarkf (12th February 2018), OM USer (10th February 2018), Otto (12th February 2018), Ross the fiddler (11th February 2018)
Old 12th February 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Re: Geotagging with Oi.Share now with Oi.Track...

Cheers - I used Geotagging a lot last summer and I'd have been flummoxed by this - another classic bit of Olympus UI design!
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (12th February 2018)
Old 12th February 2018

Liked 940 Times in 527 Posts

Many thanks for doing the hard work on this: I don't need to geotag very often, but knowing this in advance will save time and stress!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
griffljg (12th February 2018)
Old 30th April 2018

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry to revive this slightly old thread, but I've just been through the same process having not used geotagging for some time (E-M1 Mk1). Olympus Track loaded ok, then I've also went through the "No images taken during the recorded log" stage, but when I moved to the next stage, the log times displayed are an hour earlier than the actual time, despite both phone and camera showing the same time. Where I ran a log for more than an hour and then uploaded the tags, they showed the location an hour before the picture was taken.

I normally keep the camera set to GMT, even in the summer, but syncing the camera to the app has changed the camera time to BST - if it hadn't the log would be correct. There seems to be no way to change this (apart from altering the camera setting and not syncing); has anyone else had the same problem, even more, has anyone solved it, or what am I doing wrong?
Old 1st May 2018

Liked 839 Times in 549 Posts

Seeing this thread, I thought it might be useful to use on my E-P5, so I;

1) Wirelessly connected my phone to the camera and synchronised the time.
2) Started logging and went for a walk.
3) Took photos.
4) Came home and stopped logging.
5) Wirelessly connected the camera to the phone
6) Long pressed the title of the created log (to bring up the hidden menu that Olympus really doesn't want you to find, otherwise they'd make it easier!)
7) Select 'Add Geotag'.
8) Get message 'Failed to transfer Geotag logs'.
9) Gibber with rage and frustration and decide to learn German, rather then Olympus geotagging - it'll be easier!

Jim
Old 1st May 2018

Also, what nonsense is this message?

"Delete network of camera E-P5..... from the Wi-Fi settings on your device to connect to the camera from OI.Track"

Absolute Olympus gibberish!

If the network is deleted then it won't connect to the camera!!

Jim
Old 1st May 2018

You have me beaten!

Yesterday I switched on the logging and went out and took some photos and then wrote the geotags to the images as described in the link in the first post. They all came through.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG
Old 1st May 2018

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Pleased it worked for someone! I'm sure that there's a stage I'm missing somewhere to give the result I want (and used to get on the old system) ....... just need to find it!
Old 1st May 2018

Are there no definitive Olympus instructions for geotagging? Does every user have to guess and muddle through somehow?

Jim
Old 2nd May 2018

Liked 1,462 Times in 756 Posts

I use the Geotagging with the TG-5.

Works just great. I don't do anything with the mobile phone (IPhone 5s) until the logger on the camera is turned off.

Connect wirelessly, and download whatever I want, track and photos.

My Flickr
Gate Keeper (2nd May 2018)
Old 2nd May 2018

It looks like my problem may be related to time settings.

My phone and camera are set to UK time - currently GMT+1. OI.Track logs use GMT (you don't appear to be able to change this).

Maybe the app is only meant to be used in the winter in the UK!

The app in Google Play store has dozens of one star rating with user complaining that it doesn't work, so maybe I'll just dump the app and forget about geotagging.

Jim
Old 3rd May 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

I know this isn't massively helpful but I successfully used OITrack in Japan from the 30th of March onwards - after the shift to daylight saving time and in a totally different time zone too. Apart from the user interface issue noted before it worked without problems.
IPhone 6 (latest OS) and E-M10 Mkii. There are no updates in the Apple App Store so it's up to date.

I see you're on Android which is perhaps why I'm not experiencing the problems you are but the Apple reviews are equally damning despite it being unintuitive but functional.
Old 4th May 2018

This is stupid!

It looks like I'm stuck with OI.Track only using GMT. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but it made no difference.

A GPS app on my phone shows GMT and also local time.

Perhaps I'll just have to wait and use it when we're back to GMT in the winter. An alternative that's crossed my mind is the set the camera and phone location to the Azores, which only use GMT!

Who writes the software for Olympus - a 12 year old could do better!!

I guess from the few responses on this thread that not many people use geotagging.

Jim
Old 4th May 2018

I don't think that it has much, if anything, to do with time zones and GMT in particular. I am 8 hours ahead of GMT and it works fine for me. Having said that, it is a very "clunky" bit of software that is not at all intuitive. But, for me at least, it does work.

Let's try a process of elimination:
  1. When you sync you phone with your camera, do you do anything which may interfere with your phone's ability to copy its time settings to the camera? - It is important that things work that way around as the phone is always set to the correct time zone and time for your current location.
  2. Are you doing anything to prevent your phone logging GPS locations? - This might have been switched off for security reasons and will obviously prevent your phone from logging GPS locations.
  3. When you have finished taking photos and switch off GPS logging, do you "Save" the GPS log before trying to transfer the GPS information to the camera?
  4. Do you know of anybody else who is using this software on an Android device? Is so, compare settings. I am not any help on this one, as I am using an iPhone 6S Plus.