Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 1st December 2017

Liked 739 Times in 266 Posts
CaptureOne 11

Doesn't seem that long ago that version 10 was released.
Anyone given 11 a whirl yet?

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Mdb2 (17th December 2017)
Old 2nd December 2017

Thanked 1,177 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 1,538 Times in 908 Posts
Re: CaptureOne 11

Is it worth 'giving a whirl'? This time I will skip it considering it is offering the same upgrade price for CO9 users as CO10 users & hopefully go for CO12 next time (if it has features etc that I want).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd December 2017

Liked 177 Times in 72 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

I don't know if it is worth "giving it a whirl". I upgraded as soon and the upgrade was available. - All of AUD192.48.

Rather than try out any of the new features, I decided to try it out on some photos which I took in downtown Brisbane yesterday (Friday 1 Dec). That worked fine and most things worked much as in CaptureOne 10.

Then I decided to export a whole lot of images which I had taken during a visit to New Zealand for an Engineers conference in mid-2015. I had used an Olympus OM-D E-M1, a Canon EOS 6D and an Olympus XZ-2. Just over half-way through the export, the whole system crashed. A couple of reboots later (to clear up any stray files) and I had another try..... Same again! My system is an Apple iMac 27" with 12GB RAM, an internal 2TB hard drive and an external Thunderbolt 4TB hard drive on which I keep my photos.

Next, I tried my 15" Retina Screen MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM, a 768GB Solid State Drive and an external 4TB Thunderbolt hard drive on which I store my photos. It is looking as if it might well go the whole way through.

Edit: It HAS gone the whole way through.

So either there is a problem with my iMac, or else CaptureOne Pro has a problem with a Mac with only 12GB RAM.

I am hoping for an update soon.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd December 2017)
Old 2nd December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Is it worth 'giving a whirl'? This time I will skip it considering it is offering the same upgrade price for CO9 users as CO10 users & hopefully go for CO12 next time (if it has features etc that I want).

My thinking too Ross. I have read a few users are having issues on their dedicated forum so I think I'll stick with 10.21 for the moment. Might take another look a few months into the new year or hold off until 12.

Sorry to hear of your problems Larry, I hope they issue a patch soon.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Ross the fiddler (2nd December 2017)
Old 2nd December 2017

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

I'd class myself as a very novice user of CapturOne, despite that I've kept up to date and I just couldn't resist the upgrade to version 11. Did that last night and experienced things being a bit slow but whole pc was struggling all evening.

Had a few minutes earlier tonight and it was absolutely fine, just quick and smooth as previous version, I'm running pc Windows 10 and 16gb ram.

Mark
Old 11th December 2017

Liked 347 Times in 162 Posts

Rather impressed with Capture One 11. Not terribly intuitive, but bloody hell! I have a free licence with the Sony camera, which Intend to upgrade to a (still Sony only, as it is quite pricey) Pro. I’m blown away by the quality of the raw conversions, compared to Lightroom.
Old 11th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Rather impressed with Capture One 11. Not terribly intuitive, but bloody hell! I have a free licence with the Sony camera, which Intend to upgrade to a (still Sony only, as it is quite pricey) Pro. I’m blown away by the quality of the raw conversions, compared to Lightroom.
Interesting, what would you say Capture One does better?
I'm a long term (Capture One Pro) user and haven't done any recent comparisons. When I did compare a good few years ago Capture One was the package that consistently pulled more detail out of RAW files, that impressed me.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 12th December 2017

Liked 347 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Interesting, what would you say Capture One does better?
I'm a long term (Capture One Pro) user and haven't done any recent comparisons. When I did compare a good few years ago Capture One was the package that consistently pulled more detail out of RAW files, that impressed me.
With the Sony A7 II (seriously trailing edge, in terms of technology), I found:

- Default sharpening far nicer than I get from Lightroom
- Something just very nice about the colours
- Quite a bit better with high ISO images, taken at night, compared to Sonyís (none too shabby) JPEG engine or Lightroom.

Iím going to do a trial with my Olympus files. Iím expecting it to be rather nice, but a tough expense to justify bearing in mind Lightroom (with Olympus Viewer as backup) is also very good. Example from my Sony:

https://flic.kr/p/22mZwzx
Greytop (12th December 2017)