Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 447 Times in 237 Posts
Re: Gmail Tracks Your Purchase History

And talking of Google and Gmail tracking, have a read of this -

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-t...-10abf6e&bhid=
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 834 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
And talking of Google and Gmail tracking, have a read of this -

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-t...-10abf6e&bhid=
A little ironic then that "We and our partners use cookies to understand how you use our site, improve your experience and serve you personalized content and advertising. Read about how we use cookies in our cookie policy and how you can control them by clicking "Manage Settings". By continuing to use this site, you accept these cookies."
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 447 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
A little ironic then that "We and our partners use cookies to understand how you use our site, improve your experience and serve you personalized content and advertising. Read about how we use cookies in our cookie policy and how you can control them by clicking "Manage Settings". By continuing to use this site, you accept these cookies."
Isn't it just.

Unfortunately, it's the same on pretty much every news site and many others, of course.

You do, however, as it says, get the chance to control them, which is not always a choice Google gives you.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

True enough. The easiest way though is to use private browsing which deletes the cookies afterwards so they don't persist on your system. It's not a complete fix but it's a start.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts

My concern regarding tracking, history, searches, purchase information etc. collected by 99% of all internet companies via the use of cookies and trackers is:

When we choose to delete this information is it actually removed from the various companies records and servers or does choosing deletion simply remove our access to the information, thereby making it appear it has been deleted ?

Given my sceptical suspicious nature when it comes to online information harvesting, I suspect it's probably the latter.

We do of course have no possible means of being certain either way. Neither Google, Microsoft, or any other company is going to admit to such devious underhanded behaviour unless an employee in the know, blows the whistle.

Jax
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,418 Times in 695 Posts

I think you are correct.

It simply gets moved to the Trash Bin. That's still there somewhere.

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,236 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
My concern regarding tracking, history, searches, purchase information etc. collected by 99% of all internet companies via the use of cookies and trackers is:

When we choose to delete this information is it actually removed from the various companies records and servers or does choosing deletion simply remove our access to the information, thereby making it appear it has been deleted ?

Given my sceptical suspicious nature when it comes to online information harvesting, I suspect it's probably the latter.

We do of course have no possible means of being certain either way. Neither Google, Microsoft, or any other company is going to admit to such devious underhanded behaviour unless an employee in the know, blows the whistle.

Jax
There are two ways of looking at it. If your data is useful to the hosting company they will keep it. If it has no value they will delete it.

If you stop paying for iCloud or MS OneDrive you are given so many days before the data is permanently deleted. Once it has gone it has gone.

iCloud and OneDrive data is encrypted but I doubt that most users' data would be of much interest to anyone else anyway.

The real problem seems to involve social media, search engine and online sales platforms such as Facebook, Google and Amazon. All of these allow and encourage users to upload all sorts of data for no charge at all. Whichever way you look at it storing billions of holiday snaps, photographs of meals and people throwing up at parties must be an expensive business so why do they do it? This data is also stored for indefinite periods it seems, but why?

There can be little doubt that this trivia has significant commercial value to someone, even after you have supposedly 'deleted' your account, so having enticed you to upload it I can see why they would not want to delete it whilst there is some value. Even deleted accounts provide valuable data about spending habits and so forth. I would imagine that randomly deleting images from a massive relational database would cause all manner of problems too, so it is easier for the hosting company to leave it be.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
True enough. The easiest way though is to use private browsing which deletes the cookies afterwards so they don't persist on your system. It's not a complete fix but it's a start.
It's correct that using private browsing deletes cookies etc. once the browsing session has closed but, is that not akin to closing the door after the horse has bolted ? The cookies may have already passed on the details of your browsing session, purchases made, sites visited etc. etc. etc. Deleting them only removes them from your system until your next visit. Agreed, the use of private browsing is a start but hardly anywhere close to a viable solution to the insidious information harvesters.

Jax
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,236 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
It's correct that using private browsing deletes cookies etc. once the browsing session has closed but, is that not akin to closing the door after the horse has bolted ? The cookies may have already passed on the details of your browsing session, purchases made, sites visited etc. etc. etc. Deleting them only removes them from your system until your next visit. Agreed, the use of private browsing is a start but hardly anywhere close to a viable solution to the insidious information harvesters.

Jax
My understanding is that using In Private browsing effectively makes you invisible to the web servers in question, so you can request data but no other information is divulged.

I often book train tickets online and will look at several different journey options before booking, including buying two or more tickets for the same journey. (It is often much cheaper if you split a journey.)

If you try to do this simultaneously using two or more tabs in IE, Edge or Chrome the cookies mess everything up, even if you search using different train companies websites! In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that the cookies nudge prices up if you make too many searches.

But it you use different browsers or IP browsing you can look up as many journeys as you like. The same applies to airline websites.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,008 Times in 1,622 Posts

Google Chrome

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Chrome might not save your browsing history to your computer or other browsing device but I wouldn't trust one of the world's largest data harvesting companies not to save it to their servers!

I don't (and won't) use Chrome; Firefox has a similar private mode plus other ways of limiting data gathering and tracking technologies. The Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit organisation unlike Google.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 601 Times in 317 Posts

To remove those tracking, remove all the email confirmations of purchase and delivery. That removes all history of the purchases.

Anyone not using Gmails, can you check if that the history of purchases still shows. Thanks

All my garbage so far.