Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > E-System User Group goodies

E-System User Group goodies From time to time we can offer our registered users unique offers - find out what's available here.

Old 11th June 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MF adapter / Sunagor lens.

Hi all,

Have just purchased a Sunagor Macro lens on ebay, it has an OM mount. I take it I will need an adapter for it to fit my E 510? I just wondered if someone could send a link as I have found two types MF-1 and MF-01.

And finally, has anyone tried the same? I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to purchasing a Macro lens as they seem a bit pricey, I just want to check that this will work and I am on the right track

Cheers
Old 11th June 2018

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts
Re: MF adapter / Sunagor lens.

I use an OM-EF adapter with a helicoidal or focal reducing EF-MFT adapter for my OM lenses. (All from the far east via E-bay)

This works well using the lenses as fully manual, and the helicoid boosts the macro capabilities while still allowing infinity focus. I wouldn't expect either of the types you've found to offer any degree of automation so either should be equivalent.

OM lenses have a DOF preview button on the mount to shut down the aperture, but if the adapter closes the aperture on mounting the lens it's not really an issue focusing with the lens shut down with mirrorless cameras. (Unlike on A SLR where the viewfinder would get too dim)
Old 11th June 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers Mike, would you be able to send an ebay link please? Iíve found I think what you are referring to butId rather be 100%
Old 11th June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupkin View Post
Cheers Mike, would you be able to send an ebay link please? Iíve found I think what you are referring to butId rather be 100%
I'm not totally sure these are quite the same brands as I brought, but they should be equivalent anyway (they look the same):
Helicoid
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macro-Can...4AAOSwq7JUGP78
EOS-OM adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OM-EOS-Ol...AAAOSw4CFYvTva

I also have a reversing ring and Nikon, M42 & PK adapters to EOS maximizing the use of the more bulky helicoid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Petrochemist For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (11th June 2018)
Old 11th June 2018

Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 1,055 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I'm not totally sure these are quite the same brands as I brought, but they should be equivalent anyway (they look the same):
Helicoid
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macro-Can...4AAOSwq7JUGP78
EOS-OM adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OM-EOS-Ol...AAAOSw4CFYvTva
Note that these are MFT fit for OMD/PEN cameras, not FT Fit for 4/3rds E-xxx series cameras.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Pupkin (11th June 2018)
Old 11th June 2018

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

For OM to 4/3 DSLR, the official item is the MF-1 adapter. But there are plenty of Chinese clone items. I have several which I no longer use since I no longer have a 4/3 DSLR. You can have one for the cost of postage (large letter). PM me your address. I can't post until the weekend though.

It is a 'dumb' adapter ie just a mechanical connection. It is (or was) also possible to get 'chipped' adapters that kid the cameras AF system into thinking it has an AF lens fitted. You half-press the shutter and manually focus the lens. When the image is in focus, the camera beeps to confirm focus. They were quite useful but not always accurate. For macro, I think you would be better off with live view focusing.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (11th June 2018)
Old 12th June 2018

Red face Re: MF adapter / Sunagor lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Note that these are MFT fit for OMD/PEN cameras, not FT Fit for 4/3rds E-xxx series cameras.
Ah, yes I clearly need to pay more attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Petrochemist For This Useful Post:
OM USer (12th June 2018)