Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th March 2017

Liked 903 Times in 546 Posts
Re: Back Button focussing

Currently I just half press focus and then recompose to shoot. If the exposure needs a tweak then I'll just tweak the exposure compensation. I've always done it that way from the year dot so changing will take a bit of persistence but I'll definitely give this a try. As a general question is there anything wrong with what I've always been doing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (9th March 2017)
Old 9th March 2017

Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
RobEW,

Great write-up but can I just point out that the Fn1 button is the one on the right shoulder on the back of the camera whereas the button at the pivot point of the lever is called the "AEL/AFL" button.

I'm not quite sure how that affects what you have said but I'm going to give it a try.

I used BBF on the E-M1 for a while for C-AF but actually found it changed the way the AF worked in a bad way. To get the E-M1 C-AF to be reasonably accurate, you had to start shooting at the same time as the initial C-AF focus acquisition so AF on half press of the shutter was better. Let's hope the MkII doesn't suffer from similar issues.

Well spotted. In fact it's a discrepancy. On the E-M1, Fn1 is on the chamfered corner near the right carrying-strap eyelet, and the button labelled AEL/AFL is in the pivot of the lever. On the E-M5 II, the button in the pivot of the two way lever is labelled Fn1 and by default is assigned to the AEL/AFL service. The E-M5 II has no button in the position of the E-M1's Fn1.

I've corrected my post to clarify this.
Old 9th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Currently I just half press focus and then recompose to shoot. If the exposure needs a tweak then I'll just tweak the exposure compensation. I've always done it that way from the year dot so changing will take a bit of persistence but I'll definitely give this a try. As a general question is there anything wrong with what I've always been doing?
I'm no expert, but I'd say if this works for you then it's fine. I use that method quite a lot as well. (I find focus and recompose is quicker than using the arrow keypad to move the focus point). It may need you to keep your finger on the shutter halfway down for possibly quite some time (e.g. if you're waiting for the subject to improve - e.g. for a standing bird to turn around). And if getting exact focus has been a bit painstaking and slow then you might want to retain that focus for several shots, and BBF would allow that.
Old 9th March 2017

Liked 737 Times in 404 Posts

BBF combines well with tap-screen-to-focus for off-center subjects in street photography, especially when you want to have a small aperture (when zone focusing won't do).

You frame the scene and tap to focus in one go, then shoot when you like including on burst mode. If the subject moves a little you can refocus immediately with BBF, and if they move a lot you just tap them on the screen again.

If you have focusing on the half-press you have to reframe every time, which wastes ages and risks drawing the subject's attention to you.

This is with the screen flipped out like a TLR.

You do have to know how far from the centre the focus points spread, and in my experience tap focusing works better with the E-M1 than the M5ii, not surprisingly. Both are a bit better than the X70 Fuji (and all 3 enormously better than the A7Rii, which hasn't even got a touch screen...). I might add that the best piece of kit for doing this was my old Panasonic GM1, which focused frighteningly fast, very reliably, and in very low light, but it didn't have a tilt screen.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (9th March 2017)
Old 27th March 2017

Quick footnote-style question on this discussion. Does anyone know how BBF interacts with other ways of taking photos such as the use of the rear screen, or the use of remote shutter release cables, or - of particular interest to me - the use of the Olympus Share app on a phone to trigger the shutter. In cases like these where there is no "button half down" state, does the a last moment refocus get imposed on us whether we like it or not?