Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 5th March 2017

Liked 257 Times in 189 Posts
Back Button focussing

I heard the benefits of Back Button Focusing (BBF) described at the Marwell Zoo visit but I did not pay sufficient attention as to how one sets it up, I thought I did at the time, but I was overhearing the conversation so did not properly remember. The description of how to Focus using the Fn2 button and then releasing the shutter after changing the composition (but holding the focus selected by the Fn2 button) seemed to be a very useful technique.

Please can someone describe the settings I have to make to use this option.

If one does not always want to use BBF how does one switch to the shutter release button focussing.

Thanks for any info. - If you are aware of a thread in the forum that describes the method please point me to it.
Old 5th March 2017

Liked 2,520 Times in 901 Posts
Re: Back Button focussing

I don't have my camera in front of me right now, but the principle is this (this is for E-M1, but it must be very similar for the mark II since I set one up at a demo day in about 20 seconds):

Gears menu A (AF/MF) -> AEL/AFL -> S-AF ( or C-AF if you prefer that)
- Select mode 3

Gears menu B (Button/Dial) -> Button Function
- Choose your preferred button for BBF and assign it to AEL (on my E-M1 I use the AEL button itself)

To swap back - well, best to setup two My Sets (or custom modes on the mark II).
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
DerekW (6th March 2017)
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 749 Times in 457 Posts

Is this something that you can use that odd lever for? I.e. normal shutter button focussing until you flip the lever and then go to back button focus. Flip the lever back to return to normal? It would be really good if it could be set up like that. Well for me anyway.
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 78 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I heard the benefits of Back Button Focusing (BBF) described at the Marwell Zoo visit but I did not pay sufficient attention as to how one sets it up, I thought I did at the time, but I was overhearing the conversation so did not properly remember. The description of how to Focus using the Fn2 button and then releasing the shutter after changing the composition (but holding the focus selected by the Fn2 button) seemed to be a very useful technique.

Please can someone describe the settings I have to make to use this option.

If one does not always want to use BBF how does one switch to the shutter release button focussing.

Thanks for any info. - If you are aware of a thread in the forum that describes the method please point me to it.
What are the benefits of BBF?
Old 6th March 2017

Sorry. Duplicate.
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Well apart from the focus and recompose benefit, there is a great advantage of using BBF for landscape and still life/product/table top photography. In those circumstances a tripod is usually used along with live view. BBF allows you to fucus on your selected point (for maximum depth of field for instance) and then operate the shutter without risk of the focus point changing.
Old 6th March 2017

OK, thanks.
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 257 Times in 189 Posts

Paul

Thank you - I think I have got it ! - I had a MK I available to set it up on initially and then was able to navigate (fumble) over the settings to the MkII.
The differences in the menu structure between the two models are quite dramatic
Old 6th March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,116 Posts
Liked 3,095 Times in 1,447 Posts

Back button focusing is invaluable to me because I can no longer maintain a half press on the shutter button to lock focus without inadvertently actually firing the shutter.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 939 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
What are the benefits of BBF?
With the camera set in manual focus mode3 you have the advantage of being able to use full manual focus which is great coupled with manual focus assist and have the advantage of full auto focus on the back button.

Well that's how I use it.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (8th March 2017)
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 558 Times in 324 Posts

There are any number of guides and tutorials on the interwebs about BBF, but this one's quite good: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...-button-focus/

I actually use FRONT button focus for this on my E-M5ii because I'm a left-eye shooter and the camera body's so small that my right eyebrow gets in the way of my thumb if I use the AEL/AFL button by the viewfinder. I set it to the button on the front panel, and use my right 4th finger for it (I use AEL/AFL for a MySet).

There's plenty of room to have it set to Fn1 on the E-M1 which is fine for the right thumb.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1i and ii, E-M5ii & too much m4/3 glass.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7Rii.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
DerekW (6th March 2017), RobEW (7th March 2017)
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 2,520 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
There are any number of guides and tutorials on the interwebs about BBF, but this one's quite good: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...-button-focus/

I actually use FRONT button focus for this on my E-M5ii because I'm a left-eye shooter and the camera body's so small that my right eyebrow gets in the way of my thumb if I use the AEL/AFL button by the viewfinder. I set it to the button on the front panel, and use my right 4th finger for it (I use AEL/AFL for a MySet).

There's plenty of room to have it set to Fn1 on the E-M1 which is fine for the right thumb.
I do the same on the Pen-F. The rear Fn2 button is poorly placed and in any case it's handy to keep its default action of switching between EVF and rear screen. To avoid confusion on my E-M1 I have both the back button and one of the front buttons mapped to AF - that way I won't struggle swapping between them.
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 558 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
... To avoid confusion on my E-M1 I have both the back button and one of the front buttons mapped to AF - that way I won't struggle swapping between them.
Yes, I can see that could be a good idea, although I like to use all the buttons available on the E-M1 for useful individual things.

On Saturday I had an afternoon shooting with both cameras at our local rugby club (who, incidentally, host meetings of our camera club): I managed not to get confused between front and rear button focusing!

I'd done this before with 2 M1s, one with the 40-150 pro + t/c, and the other with the Panny 35-100 f2.8 (for closer action). I'd found both lens setups reasonably good for acquiring and holding focus - not DSLR standard, but perfectly usable. This time, with the Panny on the M5ii it really showed up the better CAF of the M1, and I gave up trying with the 5ii after a while.

Have you tried using the Pen-F for this sort of action shooting?

The M1/40-150/tc is very competent in the good light we had, and the main issues were the photographer's incompetence at keeping up with how fast the backs at this level move the ball around (!), plus the time the mki takes to clear its buffer. The mkii should be a lot better in this regard, as well as having less screen blanking during fast high-speed shooting.

I'm just about to finish processing some images and I think I'm satisfied enough to post a few in Foto Fair in a mo'!

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1i and ii, E-M5ii & too much m4/3 glass.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7Rii.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Wee man (9th March 2017)
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 114 Times in 67 Posts

This may of interest/adaptable

http://www.lessgearmorephotos.com/ba...pus-om-d-e-m5/

David
drmarkf (6th March 2017), Otto (6th March 2017)
Old 6th March 2017

Liked 878 Times in 519 Posts

Both my em5 and gx7 are set up this way. Gx7 has a bigger button. Obviously someone in their design team knows something about anthropometrics. My favoured way of shooting is in the zone, viz zone focusing using a RF.

on flickr