Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 17th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southampton Photo and Optics Show Sunday 30th November

Taken from the LCE site http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Event.asp?Date=30/11/2008

30/11/2008
Branch: Southampton (High Street)

The LCE Digital Photo & Optics Show 2008

LCE proudly announces the return of this hugely successful annual event for 2008- the LCE Digital Photo & Optics Show.
The show will again be held at the Novotel hotel in Southampton, on Sunday 30th November. Visitors will be able to see, try & buy all the latest digital SLRs, lenses, accessories, printers and digital compacts, plus binoculars, spotting scopes, digiscoping products...and more, all under one roof. Many hot new products will be on demo including the new Canon EOS 5D Mk II & Sony Alpha 900 full-frame DSLRs, and the latest hi-end Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars.
The show will offer the perfect opportunity to pick up an exciting, new technology Christmas gift or treat yourself with our outstanding show-only deals. Expert advice and in-depth demos will be on offer from a host of manufacturer experts as well as our highly trained, friendly staff. Brands exhibiting are to be confirmed but should include Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Epson, Swarovski, Zeiss, Opticron, Bresser, Minox, Steiner, Lowepro, Tamrac, Kata, Crumpler, Manfrotto, Velbon, Giottos, Lastolite (inc Lumen8 studio flash), Kenro, Visible Dust, Jobo, SanDisk, Hama and Op-tech.
Entrance to the event is FREE and doors are open from 10.30am until 5pm (free car parking is available at the Novotel, or up to 2 hours in the nearby West Quay retail park). Every visitor will have the chance to win a superb Jobo 10.4” digital photo frame with remote control (SRP £159) in the FREE Prize Draw on the day!
Date: Sunday 30th November
Time: 10.30am-5pm
Place: The Novotel hotel, 1 West Quay Road, Southampton, SO15 1RA

023 8022 1597 for more details.................

I've phoned to ask if they know whether the Oly stand will have the E-30, they aren't sure but think it's likely.

If anybody is planning to go to the show and would like to meet in Southampton afterwards for an hour or so, can I suggest the Old Cemetery and/or Southampton Common.

To quote the Southampton City Council site "The Old Southampton Cemetery is one of England’s earliest municipal cemeteries and is located on the Southampton Common.

Parts of this cemetery are listed Grade II on English Heritage's Register of Historic Parks and Gardens. Established by the Southampton Cemetery Act of 1843 It was landscaped by W H Rogers, a local nurseryman and the first burial took place on 8th May 1846. The Cemetery was extended northwards in 1863 and eastwards in 1886.
" and "The cemetery covers 27 acres and over 116,000 burials have taken place since 1846. (2005)

The cemetery has a number of graves associated with the Titanic, Battle of Waterloo, Charge of the Light Brigade, the Indian Mutiny and Boer War.
"

There's more on the Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery website and here's a map

Southampton Common is SSSI, covering about 365 acres.

There's a pub, "The Cowherds", within easy walking distance, on the far side of The Common. They might even take bookings, if there are enough people interested I can find out.

I've only got three pictures of memorials on my site so far, but it'll give you an idea -here-

Easiest parking is on Hill Lane, the eastern gates aren't far from King Edward VI School. Free parking on the road, no yellow lines.

Locations are shown on the map in my gallery. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10159
Old 27th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Southampton Photo and Optics Show Sunday 30th November

Obviously no takers, which isn't a problem because I might not have the time.

If anybody's making the trip into Southampton to the LCE Photo & Optics Show at Novotel and might be shopping afterwards, there's a "Christmas Festival" in Southampton which includes a German Christmas Market until 23rd, and an outdoor skating rink outside the Civic Centre until 11th January

Here are the details :-

http://www.southamptonchristmasmarket.co.uk/

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/leisur...y-ice-rink.asp
Old 28th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for flagging this up. If I had planned ahead a bit I think my wife and I would have gone to this. As it is, we have a late night entertaining on Saturday, so will probably not be up to it on Sunday morning. If we awake bright and sparky and the weather looks good, then we might just make it but that is a very long shot.

Thanks again

Batman.
Old 28th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't make this one myself either, but would have liked to do the cemetery walk .

Anyhoo, I think it'll be pretty miserable weather-wise down here on Sunday (just for a change!)
Old 30th November 2008

Liked 253 Times in 185 Posts

And Ellie was disappointed because the Olympus stall did not have an E30 - but we had a good discussion with the Olympus rep.
Old 30th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to sidy2001

Managed to get to the show this morning and was impresed with the Oly reps who were very helpfull.
I ended up paying for a 50-200 swd which they did not have there but the LCE staff phoned around and found one which I will be able to pick up next weekend,so came away a very happy bunny.

Cheers Sid
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We were having some logs delivered and weren't exactly when they'd arrive, so I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to get to the show let alone go anywhere else. As it was they arrived here late morning and I managed to get there.

The show was good, not exactly huge by national standards but there was a good range of stands. All the major suppliers were there, with plenty of things to look at and all the staff seemed just the right people for their jobs.

It was a lovely surprise to bump into DerekW. It's amazing how mentioning Ian Burley and this forum gets you noticed.

The Oly reps were very helpful and friendly. They gave us loads of information including showing us the E-30 promotional video and discussed the various features. We weren't able to see the pre-production model because *cough* somebody or other has got it! It looks to be a wonderful camera. I also enjoyed playing with some lovely lenses, but came away without buying anything.

I'm sure they said there's going to be an "Olympus Event" in Dorset - Bournemouth or Poole. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the retailer though. It was a man's name.
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Ellie,
Was the Olympus event in Bournemouth at Robert White's?
Regards, Keith.
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITHBD View Post
Hi Ellie,
Was the Olympus event in Bournemouth at Robert White's?
Regards, Keith.
Hmm, the name rings a bell so it might be.

I don't have any details about dates and so on, I think it was to be next year. I don't know how these events are advertised either.