Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 10th November 2013

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Millennium Bridge (part 2)

Good morning all,

Following on from Anne`s thread the other day. Please find a few of mine taken on the same visit.

These were taken with the E5 12-60 with the Lee big Stopper.

It was a good afternoon and nice to be able to chat with a fellow member instead of on my lonesome as I am most of the time when in the city for work.

Looking forward to our next meet up .

While I was waiting for Anne to arrive I decided to have a play with the London Eye but a long exposure here gives it a sense of speed.

As Anne had said I was initially stood at the side of the bridge (we thought we ought to let the public have a bit of the walkway) Selected this on because you can see the ghostly walkers a bit clearer and I thought it would add atmosphere in Mono.

This was taken stood at the side of Anne as the amount of people had quieten down a little.

Thanks for viewing
The Following User Liked This Post:
birdboy (10th November 2013)
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts
Re: Millennium Bridge (part 2)

Nice shots.

You have a distinct blue cast in both colour shots, which is fine if you put it there in PP. But if you didn't, your white balance needs to be adjusted in the camera...
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 229 Times in 120 Posts

I do like the London eye but makes me feel giddy. I like the way the pods appear motion blurred rather than not there at all. I thought the eye rotated continuously but it must have stopped to create this effect. Did all your pictures show this? Not sure where the blue colour cast comes from?

For me I think Anne has the millennium bridge nailed because of her symmetry and vivid colours, sorry Ian. Thanks for sharing.
John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

love the consideration of all the elements associated with shutter speed
Old 10th November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,116 Posts
Liked 3,094 Times in 1,446 Posts

I love the London Eye with the long shutter speed effect. There is certainly a blue cast but in this picture there are plenty of white objects as a reference to use with the remove colour cast tool in Elements. However, I tried that to see what a difference it made and the result, although more accurate, is not nearly as attractive. Apart from moving the right hand slider in Levels inwards to meet the graph of the histogram I don't think it can be improved. The question is, why such a blue cast? It could be partially as a result of the long shutter speed, but digital sensors are not prone to reciprocity failure like film. It could also be a result of the ND filter, although if it is a Lee Big Stopper it should be pretty much neutral. In the shots of the Millenium Bridge the cast could be influenced by the glass, which if I remember right has a distinctive blue tone anyway, but this would not account for the cast in the Eye picture. Regardless of what caused this effect, I really like it and would class it as serendipity.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

I like your London Eye, much easier to see now than on the back of the camera. It does give the effect of the wheel racing around though! And the shots of the Millennium Bridge turned out really well.

To be fair to Ian, I did have the middle spot with regards to symmetry
I had a definite blue cast to my images and tried setting both cloudy and auto with the WB to get rid if it when shooting. I only lost it in Lightroom when I changed from 'as shot' (5050) to 'auto' (7500). Bizarrely I was shooting on auto WB at the time.
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The blue cast puzzles me as sometimes it's there and another it's not. On viewing on the camera they were seriously blue. So I expected them to be a lot bluer. Like Anne has said we both tried different WB settings. So it gives me another excuse to play again next time down in the city.

It doesnt help me being colour blind with shades in colours.

We will see what happens next time I try long exposures.

Thanks again

Ian