Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 1,857 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 824 Times in 377 Posts
Exclamation The small ads section is NOT for small businesses!

It has been noted that some items sold here on the small ads board have very quickly been re-sold and often for a profit.

That is not acceptable. The purpose of this board is not for people to run a small business, profiting out of other members.

Anyone found to be abusing the forum in this way will, after a thorough investigation, risk having their account closed.

I hope this won't be necessary!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
AlistairJ (5th December 2012), al_kaholik (6th December 2012), angelpaaul (5th December 2012), Chevvyf1 (5th December 2012), David M (5th December 2012), David Morison (5th December 2012), Ghostrider (5th December 2012), Greytop (5th December 2012), IainMacD (5th December 2012), Janet (5th December 2012), Jim Ford (5th December 2012), Melaka (6th December 2012), nickg (5th December 2012), PeteBoo (6th December 2012), PeterBirder (5th December 2012), Phill D (5th December 2012), ringneck (5th December 2012), The Technician (5th December 2012), Topsyrm (6th December 2012), Tordan58 (10th December 2012), Ulfric M Douglas (5th December 2012), Zuiko (5th December 2012), zuiko-holic (5th December 2012)
Old 5th December 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: The small ads section is NOT for small businesses!

Old 5th December 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: The small ads section is NOT for small businesses!

Absolutely

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 5th December 2012

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

I totally agree but I bet most members purchased the cleaning kits !. Though they were a bargain for members who purchased and they were more than happy to make the purchase could that not be construed as a short term business. I think members who purchase should check the sales history before committing. Obviously there are one or two members guilty and need to be stopped. I don't think this is as cut and dried as it seems but if I had an idea when this was happening I would (in the future) make a comment pointing out when the seller purchased the item and question why it is for sale so soon after he/she purchased it.
Old 5th December 2012

Liked 1,040 Times in 648 Posts

There's more than one or two these days. I just add them to my ignore list so I don't see their posts.

Thanks Ian.
Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

Regarding the cleaning cloths, the seller got in touch to ensure that it was OK. He did not make much of a profit and was basically sharing his good fortune in receiving a large number of cleaning cloths at a low price (I think from a closing down sale). He didn't buy from members and then turn around his purchases for profit a short time afterwards.

If anyone has any concern about what they are hoping to sell, then just get in touch and we'll discuss things,

Ian

Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,144 Posts
Liked 3,283 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1 View Post
I totally agree but I bet most members purchased the cleaning kits !. Though they were a bargain for members who purchased and they were more than happy to make the purchase could that not be construed as a short term business. I think members who purchase should check the sales history before committing. Obviously there are one or two members guilty and need to be stopped. I don't think this is as cut and dried as it seems but if I had an idea when this was happening I would (in the future) make a comment pointing out when the seller purchased the item and question why it is for sale so soon after he/she purchased it.
Yes, Sponner's cleaning cloths. He had the courtesy to speak to me at the time and although it was obviously a business transaction (he bought a job lot when Jacob's stock was auctioned) I took the view that it was a one-off circumstance, he was being upfront about it and it was clearly of benefit to our members. Had he continued to trade other merchandise it would have been a different matter.

In my view this is quite different from buying cameras, lenses and accessories from forum members, maybe squeezing them a little on price, then a short while afterwards offering them on the forum for resale at a profit. Even more dubious is the practice of buying used kit elsewhere and offering it for sale on the forum. This may give a false impression of the provenance of the item - the purchaser may assume that it is cherished equipment previously owned and used by a regular fellow forum member, when it is nothing of the kind.

There is, of course, nothing morally wrong with buying and selling at a profit, it's just not what the For Sale board was designed for and I think we have a duty to maintain its integrity for our members. It could be argued that there might be a case for a seperate traders board, where it is transparent that the deals are commercial in nature, but do we really want to become another ebay? Also, this would raise the question of should the forum charge commission on such transactions. In my opinion this is a can of worms we should avoid opening and stick to the principle of private sales of personally owned and used gear.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Andrew Riddell (5th December 2012), Greytop (5th December 2012), Ian (5th December 2012), Johnheatingman (5th December 2012), Melaka (6th December 2012), Phill D (5th December 2012), StephenL (5th December 2012)
Old 5th December 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Rest assured that, although I have sold quite a few items here, it's because I no longer use them, or they were bought on a whim which has changed.

Although I have noticed that a couple of items I sold were sold on again pretty quickly.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,144 Posts
Liked 3,283 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Rest assured that, although I have sold quite a few items here, it's because I no longer use them, or they were bought on a whim which has changed.

Although I have noticed that a couple of items I sold were sold on again pretty quickly.
Stephen, your transactions raise no cause for concern whatsoever. Even the occassional item that is resold very quickly is not by itself a problem; we all make purchases we regret or find simply don't work for us as we'd hoped. Sometimes, too, something like a twin lens kit might be purchased as part of a good deal or promotional offer, principaly to get either the body or a lens. Then there is a good reason for selling the unwanted items from the kit, but not if it involves splitting and selling all of it!

Primarily it's a concern when there is a repeating pattern of buying and selling by one person, often of similar items they have bought and sold several times before, so it can't possibly be that they made a purchase which just proved to be unsuitable for their needs. Genuine private sellers should not feel in any way deterred from using the For Sale board as it is traditionally a service of mutual benefit to our community.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
StephenL (5th December 2012)
Old 5th December 2012

Thanked 1,028 Times in 811 Posts
Liked 1,107 Times in 694 Posts

As someone sitting (literally) on the other side of the world, the 'for sale items' would not be relevant to me, but I have noticed some sales that looked a little too enterprising which made feel uneasy about them but I didn't think it was my place to make a comment (although I have made a comment within the 'for sale' threads in the past), so I'm pleased this matter is being dealt with now for the sake of you all that buy & sell as one member to another. It does help keep up the good will within this community of members. So from an Aussie (& son of a Brit), thanks Ian.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (5th December 2012)
Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

It might be wise for sellers to explain why they are selling items. I know many are interested as to why and sometimes that does lead to suspicion - which is almost always unfounded.

Ian

Old 5th December 2012

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I sold my BIGMA for the same price I paid CaptainD with ALL the SAME receipts; box; carry case and straps; etc and a PROTECTIVE lens and Keith sold it ALL on here for the same price because we are legal, decent and honest.

I did buy a lens from someone I met at Petworth, Suzzes who turned up to have no provenance/receipts ; no carry case straps and who never posted said items and who refused to knock off the p&p with insurance. So I said here is a sum of cash "take it or leave, you have one minute". He took it and complained to many people here

I can honestly say that I am so glad I did not buy it and he p&p with Royal Mail ... he would NEVER HAVE REFUNDED THE PRICE and claimed on his Insurance and I shall NEVER EVER BUY FROM HIM AGAIN - no matter how cheap.

I have bought many, many, pieces of kit here, for myself and my family and Nick and his family and it has been an utter pleasure to do business with all these people - far preferable than eBay

Thanks for starting this thread Ian - I had noted a few resales quickly
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th December 2012

Liked 468 Times in 192 Posts

I'm very glad this matter has been raised, I too had noticed repetitive and regular behaviour in the For Sale or Wanted forum and it didn't feel right to me.
I must admit I was at the point of dropping Ian a PM but I'm glad I spotted this post first, thanks Ian & John

Olympus bodies and lenses
CaptureOne Pro
My flickr
Old 5th December 2012
Administrator

As John said earlier, there is nothing wrong with a quick resale if the reason is understandable. What we don't want here is people turning items around to make a strategic profit.

Some of the people who have been singled out here have contacted me to say that their reasons for high volumes of items being sold, including recent purchases, are down to personal circumstances. It's hard to prove one way or another but it's also a reason that can't be used ad infinitum, so I am happy to give the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

Ian

Old 5th December 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
As John said earlier, there is nothing wrong with a quick resale if the reason is understandable. What we don't want here is people turning items around to make a strategic profit.

Some of the people who have been singled out here have contacted me to say that their reasons for high volumes of items being sold, including recent purchases, are down to personal circumstances. It's hard to prove one way or another but it's also a reason that can't be used ad infinitum, so I am happy to give the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

Ian
I agree with you on this final point you've mentioned but would add that it would seem less cynical if the items were relisted at the same price as originally listed here when purchased a few days earlier.
Closed Thread