Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 26th March 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
E-Group Photo Challenge

Hi All,

Well I got to say I am disappointed with the amount of Entries for the 4th E Group Challenge. I know there is 5 days to go however in 2 weeks Iíve received only 5 entries from 237 active members.

Perhaps itís me, perhaps itís the subject I choose (although Nigh Time as a subject offers loads of possibilities). I really canít understand why there are not more entries.

To be honest I do feel a little let down by the site, it has kind of made me feel and its hard to describe perhaps alienated is the right word. Certainly has made me think differently but such is life.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its not meant to be.

All the best
Garrie
Old 26th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E-Group Photo Challenge

I have been working very hard (long hours and stuff), and also playing about with photomatix too much! I will certainly try something, so don't feel so despondent!
Old 26th March 2008
It`s an anagram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garrie,

Dont be to harsh because the first couple of challenges only had a moderate amount of entries. Most people have full time jobs, families etc and this can seriously limit time. Also consider that many do not enjoy or feel they can take good enough images for a competition however friendly. Lastly the theme may have been a tad harder than normal as many do not shoot at night or have very limited experience like myself. I did enter the last one and wanted to enter this but even though I had a few ideas I was mostly struggling to find time.

Hope you do not feel alienated especially after you have posted so many fine HDR images.

John

All of a sudden.........nothing happened!
Old 26th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garrie,

While I have entered this challenge I didn't enter any of the other 3 simply because I didn't get time to take a good enough shot. I did take a picture that would have fallen into the reflections category but I didn't feel it was good enough to post on the site let alone enter a competition. I'm sure most of us are trying to improve our photography and editing out pictures which don't meet our quality standards is a large part of that. Just think how bad it would be if all 237 of us entered without any self imposed quality control.

Ian C.
Old 26th March 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apart from my moon photographs, I have not taken any at night yet. The weather has not been very good. I will however try to get a photo for the comp.
Old 26th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The whole point of the competitions is as fun and trying out new things (in my opinion) that wouldn't maybe normally be tried out.
The competitions aren't meant as stressful or be putting people off, it's all about enjoying taking pictures. I see the competitions as an incentive to get out there and take shots, not necessarily competition specifically minded but as a theme to try out.

My feeling are as the weeks and competitions progressed, more people would enter and take part, as a community more than anything else really.
The forum is a friendly place, which seems, at the moment to have a very open minded view and opinion about different style of photography and subject matters.

People update and add to their gallery quite frequently, and the majority of shots I've seen are well worthy of entering competitions, yet they don't feel comfortable entering a friendly competition, where there's no pressure or prizes, just the fun of taking part!

I work full time, have part time hobbies/jobs that take up quite a bit of time, but still enjoying taking part in the competitions and use it as an excuse almost to get out there and spend some time with my camera!
Old 26th March 2008

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

I don't think there is anything wrong with your choice of subject. The number of entries sounds about in-line if not higher than the going run-rate.

Maybe the rules could be relaxed a bit and the requirement for the picture to be taken within the same month removed. This would make it easier to send entries.
Old 27th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,850 Times in 2,196 Posts
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,635 Posts

Hi Garrie,

It's certainly not you and your subject choice is a great one. I do however find the requirement to take a picture within a two week period specifically for the competition restrictive. The best night pictures are invariably taken at dusk, while there is still some colour from reflected light in the sky. At this time of year that usually happens while I'm still at work! I know there's always the weekeend and it's all too easy to make excuses, but just wait until you've got kids!

On the other hand I do feel guilty for not supporting the forum competitions so I will try to make more of an effort in future.

Sorry!

Zuiko
Old 27th March 2008

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Hi All,

Well I got to say I am disappointed with the amount of Entries for the 4th E Group Challenge. I know there is 5 days to go however in 2 weeks Iíve received only 5 entries from 237 active members.

Perhaps itís me, perhaps itís the subject I choose (although Nigh Time as a subject offers loads of possibilities). I really canít understand why there are not more entries.

To be honest I do feel a little let down by the site, it has kind of made me feel and its hard to describe perhaps alienated is the right word. Certainly has made me think differently but such is life.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its not meant to be.

All the best
Garrie
Garrie,

Do not feel despondant there is only room for one of us here feeling that way. I have seen what happens on other sites remember and I can assure you that this is the best and I proved it by coming back.

Some of the people have explained their reasons for not being able to join in at this time, As the competitions progress I am sure more shall join in. In my opinion, the rule that the photographs should be taken within the period of the competition is a good one as the whole purpose is to get us all out taking pictures. What might work better is to extend the submission period. What do you think?

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

Photo challenge? Sorry, I'm new here, please point me in the right direction.
Old 27th March 2008

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Hi blu

Tried to find the sticky thread re the challenge details but i cannot find it now.

Contact Garrie. He has set the challenge and the rules that apply.

Basically, we run a photo challenge and the winner sets the next challenge. No prizes other than to have the honour of running the next one. The subject is night time but Garrie will give you all the details

PeterD
Old 27th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Here you go...

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1236

John

Old 27th March 2008
It`s an anagram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
What might work better is to extend the submission period. What do you think?

PeterD
Totally agree and mentioned it at the start. A monthly competition would give more time thus probably more entries.

John

All of a sudden.........nothing happened!
Old 27th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,850 Times in 2,196 Posts
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
Totally agree and mentioned it at the start. A monthly competition would give more time thus probably more entries.
Yes, even my excuses would wear a bit thin if I had a month to rise to the challenge! If it is felt that such a long period would make it difficult to maintain interest, then two competitions could be run concurrently but overlapped so that a result is announced and a new competition started every two weeks. Just an idea.........

Zuiko
Old 28th March 2008
Codger

Liked 63 Times in 29 Posts

I would love to have a go but personal circumstances have made it impossible to get an entry that would fit the rather strict time limits.

The number of replies here shows that people do support the idea, but maybe the rules need tweaking a bit.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright