Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th March 2017

Liked 3,441 Times in 1,169 Posts
I'm weak...

so I bought a Mark II. I don't have too many vices and I have the cash so I thought - hell, I'm a long time dead!

My initial thoughts:

- It's bloody fast. Amazing really.

- IBIS is stunning. Another step up from the Pen (which was a step up from the E-M1)

- Slightly bigger and heavier than the mk i. I prefer the older model in this respect.

- Battery life big improvement (but another new battery type)

- Fully articulated screen - still adjusting to these. I prefer the tilt only, but I'm slowly learning to live with the new config.

- IQ similar to the Pen-F. Some say the high ISO is better, but I don't shoot high ISO too often so it's not important to me. I'm keen to see how the DR holds up on landscape. ISO 64 looks very detailed but the blinkies on the display definitely show that it clips more readily than at ISO 200.

- No long exposure noise as on the E-M1 (important to me).

- New menu system is IMHO cosmetically worse than the old version, although I do accept that it's more logically laid out.

- Why are there only 3 custom modes (C1-C3) when the Pen has 4? Odd.

- Ability to save/recall custom settings - at last!!

- Lots of little new features which are nice - e.g. pre-set focus (very useful for landscape), focus limiter (very useful for 50-200 to stop it hunting over the whole range).

- Build looks excellent, except for the memory card door which seems a bit flimsy (and I'm not 100% convinced by its water resistance).

- CAF looks like a big improvement. I don't use CAF too often (mainly because it's traditionally been pretty poor), but I might seek out more action-oriented stuff now. I used to do a lot of aviation shooting so I might do a bit more of that. The 50-200 (non SWD) seems to focus faster and more accurately than it does on the E-M1. Here's one I took many moons ago at Duxford on a Canon 5dii + 100-400:

IMG_1522_1280 by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

More here if you're interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_k...57626984638034

I think the Oly will be at least up to this sort of performance since the 5dii AF was pants (worse than the E-M1 I reckon) and the 100-400 was a really heavy piece of kit with that awful push/pull zoom action.

Here's one of the first with the camera. ISO 64. Detail when pixel peeking is fantastic:

Daffodil by Paul Kaye, on Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cinders (19th March 2017), cliff (19th March 2017), drmarkf (19th March 2017), Graham from Wirral (19th March 2017), Graham_of_Rainham (19th March 2017), Greytop (20th March 2017), OM USer (19th March 2017), Phill D (19th March 2017), Ross the fiddler (19th March 2017), wornish (19th March 2017), Zuiko (19th March 2017)