Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 21st November 2016

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,094 Posts
Liked 761 Times in 551 Posts
Question Please Explain MySets on PASM Dial

I only have an E-M5 Mk1 and an E-PM2 but I am trying to understand how MySets work when assigned to a position on the PASM dial on the E-M5 MK II and other cameras that have this function. The manuals for these cameras is woefully short on any meaningful description.

On the E-M5 I can set up and use the 4 MySets by calling up the menu and I have no problem with this. If I am in A (aperture priority) mode and switch to S (Shutter priority) mode then all my settings other than aperture/shutter (the thing I am changing) priority stay the same. If I make a temporary setting change and do not update the MySet then than temporary change is still preserved when the PASM dial is rotated.

My understanding is that on cameras where a position on the PASM dial can be assigned a MySet (whether it be ART, iAuto, or even C1, C2, or C3 on those dials that have it) then the MySet settings also include whether the camera was in P (Program), A (aperture priority), S (shutter priority), or M (manual) mode when the settings were saved. Also, that when selecting that MySet by rotating the PASM dial to the position where that MySet has been assigned, the mode (P, A, S, or M) that was saved is restored along with the other settings in the MySet.

Now, assuming that you have rotated the PASM dial to a position that has a MySet assigned to it and the camera is now using the MySet settings you want, how do you then change just the shooting mode (P, A, S, or M)?
On the E-M5 MK 1 I would rotate the PASM dial but on a camera where MySets are assigned to PASM dial positions you could end up going through another assigned MySet and changing just more than the shooting mode.
You could of course go to your required P, A, S, or M position and recall the MySet from the menu but this would loose any temporary setting you had changed but not saved whilst the PASM dial was in a "MySet" assigned position.

It looks like recalling a MySet from an assigned position on the PASM dial sets the shooting mode (P, A, S, or M) but recalling the MySet from menu doesn't and the shooting mode stays as it was.

It just doesn't seem logical.

I have tried searching this forum and tried using google (other search engines are available) but have found no explanation as to how MySets, the PASM dial, and shooting modes actually interact. Can anyone help please?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 21st November 2016

Liked 3,392 Times in 1,158 Posts
Re: Please Explain MySets on PASM Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Now, assuming that you have rotated the PASM dial to a position that has a MySet assigned to it and the camera is now using the MySet settings you want, how do you then change just the shooting mode (P, A, S, or M)?
You can't!

Quote:
On the E-M5 MK 1 I would rotate the PASM dial but on a camera where MySets are assigned to PASM dial positions you could end up going through another assigned MySet and changing just more than the shooting mode.
You could of course go to your required P, A, S, or M position and recall the MySet from the menu but this would loose any temporary setting you had changed but not saved whilst the PASM dial was in a "MySet" assigned position.
The camera remembers the settings in the PASM settings separately to any MySets that you happen to pass through on the way.

Quote:
It looks like recalling a MySet from an assigned position on the PASM dial sets the shooting mode (P, A, S, or M) but recalling the MySet from menu doesn't and the shooting mode stays as it was.

It just doesn't seem logical.
I think that's how it works.