Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th September 2015

Liked 557 Times in 271 Posts
Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

The idea for this thread came about from an online discussion between Ron aka Olybirder and myself. We thought it might be interesting to have a thread dedicated to butterfly and dragonfly photographs by anybody who would like to contribute. Ron has launched a similar one for birds (I have copied and adapted his words as they were very well chosen)

We realise that nature photography is an acquired taste and not appreciated by everyone but lots of people take nature shots so this thread could give members a chance to post photos for viewing, comments, advice and tips (given or taken) or just general natural history chat.

Don't limit your choices to simply macro shots, indeed the reason I suggested butterflies and dragonflies is because they don't require special equipment. And lots of people already post them.

You don't have to be a committed insect photographer but everybody is welcome to contribute if they have a photograph of a dragonfly or butterfly which they are proud of (or disappointed with and would like some advice.) It would probably be wise to limit the number of images to two or three at a time to prevent the thread becoming too unwieldly (on the other hand it might not take off at all.)

So have a root about on your hard drive and show us what you've got.

To start it off here are a selection I took this afternoon. As I walked around a reserve and footpath lots of people were out picking blackberries. I was taking pictures of the insects who were there first, enjoying the fruit themselves.

A migrant hawker dragonfly and two comma butterflies enjoying the blackberries. The dragonfly also has a fly walking on it's wing!

So do remember to wash your blackberries before you eat them.

Now it is your turn. What have you got to post?

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
cliff (18th September 2015), Lakota (8th October 2015), Mrs T (17th September 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Beagletorque (17th September 2015), cliff (18th September 2015), Lakota (8th October 2015), Mrs T (17th September 2015), Olybirder (17th September 2015), pandora (26th May 2016), raymondo (18th September 2015), rsh1960 (18th September 2015)
Old 17th September 2015

Liked 2,278 Times in 871 Posts
Re: Communal dragonfly and butterfly thread

Something else a little continental.

And a UK Brimstone.

And a Gatekeeper for good measure!

raymondo (18th September 2015)
Hemlockwood (19th September 2015), Lakota (8th October 2015), Olybirder (17th September 2015), raymondo (18th September 2015), rsh1960 (18th September 2015), Yorkie (11th November 2015)
Old 17th September 2015

A very nice clouded yellow. Where in Europe were you and what else did you see?
I look forward to a few more like that.

My holidays in France did produce about 500 shots of butterflies this year, so my hands are itching but I will resist....for now.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has a photograph of one of the migrant clouded yellows that have reached us this year. A few have got up to the midlands not sure how far north they wander...

added after a second picture appeared....what a wonderful brimstone picture. :-) and now also a gatekeeper.. thank you Beagletorque

The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (17th September 2015)
Old 17th September 2015

Liked 1,430 Times in 513 Posts

Thanks for getting the thread off the ground so quickly Peter. What a splendid selection of butterfly and dragonfly images. Out of interest has anyone ever managed to get a shot of a Brimstone with its wings open?

There are been hardly any butterflies in my garden recently, apart from a few very smart Red Admirals. However, the other day while out for a walk I entered a clearing in the trees and there were five pristine Speckled Woods flying about in the sunshine. I guess I should have stopped down a bit more to get both wingtips in focus. Will I ever learn?

E-M1 and 75-300 II.

Ron
Beagletorque (17th September 2015), Loup Garou (22nd February 2016), Mrs T (17th September 2015), raymondo (18th September 2015), Yorkie (11th November 2015)
Old 17th September 2015

Thank you for posting here too Ron.

I love speckled woods in autumn, everything else seems just slightly old and worn and then you see a speckled wood - fresh as a daisy and full of energy and excitement, chasing anything that moves nearby.

You have done well as I think they are very hard to get a good shot of, and we shouldn't get too worried by a bit of depth of field blur.

very soon with focus stacking it will be a pleasure to see pictures with something out of focus ..!

Beagletorque (17th September 2015), Olybirder (17th September 2015)
Old 11th June 2016

Liked 927 Times in 526 Posts
Re: Communal Dragonfly, Butterfly and Insect photo thread

Mosquito Dahliana geniculata in Daytime

A couple of days ago my wife said that a mosquito had been flying around her. As it was the middle of the day, and on sunlight, I said that it was more likely to be a midge.

Yesterday, I saw a large individual (ca 7mm, from the image size) land on some sunlit foliage, where I have been finding various solitary bees and other insects. There followed an interaction where, alternating, it would hover facing me or it would land and I would try to photograph it. Although the initial landing was on the top of the leaf, the subsequent ones were on the undersides, offering problems with lighting. (Cropping was mostly to remove dark shadows).

I have identified the species based on it being common, its size and (mainly) the white "knees" which for which it is named.

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105mm at f16, twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

alfbranch (15th June 2016), DavyG (11th June 2016)
Old 11th June 2016

Liked 321 Times in 148 Posts

A couple from Wicken Fen yesterday afternoon... Sun was out temperature was high so getting anywhere near the dragon flies was nigh on impossible.

This one was chasing away anything other than the female ones, that he would catch mid air for a quickie so she could lay her eggs in his bit of the stream.

Apple: 27" iMac, 13" MacBook Pro
Adobe: Creative Cloud
Old 17th June 2016

Green Tortoise Beetles Mating:

These were all shot on the leaves of balm plants in our garden the leaves of which have much more yellow colour than most foliage. However, that is where the beetles chose to live.

The first image was taken two weeks before the others. There is something about the appearance, reminding me of two hooded characters, that appeals to me.

The others involved a female feeding during mating, something I have not observed before. Showing this in an image proved elusive but I have captured the best head image so far. I would like to have shown the head exposed in both male and female in the same frame but have had to settle for one or the other.

The dark shapes on the leaf surface are holes chewed by the beetles.

The images described above were all shot with the Kiron 105mm at f16 and with twin RC TTL flash, 1/250 and ISO 400 (first image) or 800, hand-held.

The final image was to show the eyes better than in previous attempts. I used the Schneider HM 40 reversed, at f16, plus x1.4 TC, twin RC TTL flash at 1/250 and ISO 400, hand-held. The image is uncropped (FOV 6mm).

All with EM-1 in manual mode.

Harold

DavyG (18th June 2016)
Old 21st June 2016

Hazel Leaf-Roller Weevil Gets Airborne.

I knew this beetle had only just landed, as I had passed by only moments before and it wasn’t there. It was on the leaves of Goldenrod. Last year, I had seen one on a Hazel leaf only a pace from where this one has landed.

I got some shots and wanted some variety of views. So, I used the scientific approach. I prodded it with my finger. It started walking around, gradually becoming more agitated. It flexed one elytron and I focused and framed for the anticipated take-off. However you describe its attitude at the moment of launch, “elegant” is not the word!

The first image is the last one shot but the others are in sequence.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm f16, twin TTL falsh, hand-held.

Harold

Old 21st June 2016

Liked 1,373 Times in 531 Posts

I shot this the other day on my bin it is about 2mm long but I do not know what it is.

Unkown insect by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Unkown insect 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Both are 4 shot stacks handheld using a 25mm tube and Raynox 250 on my Sigma 105 and stil cropped heavily.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (23rd June 2016)
Old 22nd June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I shot this the other day on my bin it is about 2mm long but I do not know what it is.
Alf,

It's a Booklouse aka Barkfly (Psocoptera) with wing buds.

Harold
Old 22nd June 2016

Liked 1,373 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Alf,

It's a Booklouse aka Barkfly (Psocoptera) with wing buds.

Harold
A barkfly nymph I am told
but which of this lot I do not know I have shot barkflies several times

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/gallery.aspx

I would say that Snipe fly is after a drink. I watched several downlooker snipe flies drinking on a damp morning some of them vibrated thier legs on the leaf to bring the droplets together then drank.

Here is one from a while ago having a drink you can see where is cleared the drops.

Downlooker-snipe-fly-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (23rd June 2016)
Old 23rd June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
A barkfly nymph I am told
but which of this lot I do not know I have shot barkflies several times

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/gallery.aspx

I would say that Snipe fly is after a drink. I watched several downlooker snipe flies drinking on a damp morning some of them vibrated thier legs on the leaf to bring the droplets together then drank.

Here is one from a while ago having a drink you can see where is cleared the drops.
Alf,

Good luck with the Barkflies. I have never attempted to get them even to family.

The Snipefly must have been eating or drinking but the leaf looked dry at the time and does in the images.

Harold
Old 23rd June 2016

Liked 837 Times in 232 Posts

I posted these images of a Banded Demoiselle in the main forum, I thought they should be here also.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
Old 23rd June 2016

Liked 321 Times in 148 Posts

The sunlight wasn't as favourable as some, and the thing was too far away to do owt but go telephoto...

So here's a dragonfly of some sort, having used the 300+1.4

This is un-cropped, I'd normally tidy off the rose stem a bit... I was interested that the Lightroom de-haze function made the background colours a bit more vibrant, they were a lot more muted!

Hmmmm.... it is better cropped!

Apple: 27" iMac, 13" MacBook Pro
Adobe: Creative Cloud