Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2018

Thanked 1,234 Times in 977 Posts
Liked 1,797 Times in 1,011 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
The atmosphere coats everything with a fine film due to pollution. Think of the inside of your car window. Also fingermarks. This increases the electrical resistance of the connection. The contacts get wiped clean to some extent when putting a lens on or removing it, but cleaning the surfaces properly can help and certainly do no harm, provided only a soft cloth with a few drops of liquid on it, and nothing abrasive, is used. Just a wipe with a dry soft cloth may be adequate.
I remember servicing early computer systems where the gold edge connections became quite dull looking (could have been resin residue, perhaps) & we used to use a soft eraser (pencil rubber) first following by alcohol (isopropyl preferably but metho otherwise & buffed off), so if a lens connector (or SD card) looks dull, it's worth cleaning properly.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 29th May 2018

Liked 513 Times in 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I remember servicing early computer systems where the gold edge connections became quite dull looking...
Spent many happy years cleaning computer edge connectors and reseating banks of memory chips with great success. Can’t say I’ve ever had to do it with a camera lens connector pins though, not even when camera and lens has been subjected to many hours in humid salt water conditions (whale watching). Is Olympus unique in seemingly having this as a problem? I can understand it perhaps within a microSD to SD adapter where perhaps they’ve cut some corners but on lens to body connectors? Really?
Old 29th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Spent many happy years cleaning computer edge connectors and reseating banks of memory chips with great success. Can’t say I’ve ever had to do it with a camera lens connector pins though, not even when camera and lens has been subjected to many hours in humid salt water conditions (whale watching). Is Olympus unique in seemingly having this as a problem? I can understand it perhaps within a microSD to SD adapter where perhaps they’ve cut some corners but on lens to body connectors? Really?
No, not normally, but when issues arise with a lens then it's at least worth trying.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 29th May 2018

It’s probably an unwitting part of the process anyway. Try another lens... yep, that works. Put the original back and as if by magic that works too!
Having commented that I’ve never had such an issue on several other cameras and lenses I’ve maybe overlooked the fact that just about everything else is knackered on the cameras! Buttons stuck, pop up flashes that don’t (pop up)
Old 29th May 2018

Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
All ILC cameras can have the issue. A particular Nikon camera some years ago needed it as it was very sensitive to the voltage (which is why I have a supply of Deoxit).

Please don't use a pencil eraser, the little bits will get everywhere inside the camera.

Fumbling while mounting a lens and touching the connectors with dirty fingers is easy to do and forget about. The sticky mess will transfer itself to the contacts inside the camera as well.
Old 29th May 2018

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I remember servicing early computer systems where the gold edge connections became quite dull looking (could have been resin residue, perhaps) & we used to use a soft eraser (pencil rubber) first following by alcohol (isopropyl preferably but metho otherwise & buffed off), so if a lens connector (or SD card) looks dull, it's worth cleaning properly.
When trying to rectify a randomly re-booting server the first step was always to remove the SIMM's, clean the edge connectors with an ink rubber (pencil rubbers have too much gum, shed too many bits, not abrasive enough) then wipe with high purity IPA only (too many additives in meths) and refit. Surprisingly effective, I found.

Loves photography but so little time
Old 29th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima View Post
When trying to rectify a randomly re-booting server the first step was always to remove the SIMM's, clean the edge connectors with an ink rubber (pencil rubbers have too much gum, shed too many bits, not abrasive enough) then wipe with high purity IPA only (too many additives in meths) and refit. Surprisingly effective, I found.
You should read a wonderful old book "The Soul of a New Machine" 1981.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soul_of_a_New_Machine
They build this crucial new prototype and it is hopelessly unreliable, they try all the normal things.
In despair they lift the chassis a foot off the floor and drop it. Reseat all the boards, and it then works perfectly.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (30th May 2018), Ross the fiddler (30th May 2018), wornish (29th May 2018)
Old 29th May 2018

Liked 341 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
They build this crucial new prototype and it is hopelessly unreliable, they try all the normal things.
In despair they lift the chassis a foot off the floor and drop it. Reseat all the boards, and it then works perfectly.
Tried that with the wife ......... didn't work
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (29th May 2018)
Old 29th May 2018

Liked 1,406 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I would use IPA and a microfibre cloth.
What, India Pale Ale?

Jim
Old 30th May 2018

Quote:
All ILC cameras can have the issue. A particular Nikon camera some years ago needed it as it was very sensitive to the voltage (which is why I have a supply of Deoxit).

Please don't use a pencil eraser, the little bits will get everywhere inside the camera.

Fumbling while mounting a lens and touching the connectors with dirty fingers is easy to do and forget about. The sticky mess will transfer itself to the contacts inside the camera as well.
Relax, I wouldn't use it in that situation either, but...... if by some chance I really felt the lens contacts look badly discoloured & dull then I may use it (the soft silicon rubber type only though) with the lens horizontal & the contacts down & then followed up with cleaning liquid on a cloth to thoroughly clean every skerrick of rubber possibly left behind.
Old 30th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
What, India Pale Ale?

Jim
Yeah sure mate! Don't worry it will probably only send you blind & with a shocker of a headache.
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 2,518 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Percussive maintenance its called...…………...

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Growltiger (30th May 2018), Ross the fiddler (30th May 2018)
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 1,719 Times in 1,035 Posts

With regard to the Lock-Up malarkey, if the manufacturer incorporated a data logger within the system (stored in E^2 memory for example) it would be a simple job for them to diagnose issues such as this. Other manufacturers do this, eg Leica, which I know to be fact, revealed to me in written communication when my M240 went back for investigation.

on flickr
Old 30th May 2018

As a computer techie we used to use what I assume to have been specially designed rubbers for edge connectors. Twas neither pencil nor ink and was a funny dark beige sort of colour and yes, it did shed bits everywhere so a blast with an air duster or a waft with a brush cleared all the detritus.
I now feel a need to Google ‘edge connector rubber’. (Wonder what delights that will bring up)

Edit: nothing obvious in the Google search (or even remotely pervy!)

Last edited by TimP; 30th May 2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added waffle
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (30th May 2018)
Old 30th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
How do we know they don't incorporate a data logger ? I doubt if Olympus would make the fact public knowledge.

John
Olympus do store fault data. You can see it by accessing the appropriate pages in the hidden areas. You get to them the same way you find out the number of photos taken, but on a different page.
Closed Thread