Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th June 2015

Liked 142 Times in 22 Posts
Got the E-M1, also got a few questions!

Hi,

The new camera has arrived and I've been having a play and have a few questions.

1. The camera has version 3.0 firmware installed. From what I've read, this should allow high speed shooting using C-AF (9fps). Using my 4/3rds 50-200 (MKI) and EC-14, the frame rate (on a static object) is nothing like that - its more like 6fps. Is the 9fps using C-AF only possible with M4/3rds lenses? In S-AF mode, 10fps is easily acheived.

2. The document by Darrel Young about V.3 firmware says that, in C-AF with low speed sequential mode, the exposure is adjusted in between frames. I can't see how to make this happen - although the focus is adjusted between frames, the exposure seems to be locked on the first frame. I have the C-AF AEL/AFL mode set to "2". Indeed, the table on page 102 of the manual doesn't even suggest that exposure adjustments between frames might be possible. Anyone know if this can be done?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Dave
Old 27th June 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts
Re: Got the E-M1, also got a few questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveben View Post
Hi,

The new camera has arrived and I've been having a play and have a few questions.

1. The camera has version 3.0 firmware installed. From what I've read, this should allow high speed shooting using C-AF (9fps). Using my 4/3rds 50-200 (MKI) and EC-14, the frame rate (on a static object) is nothing like that - its more like 6fps. Is the 9fps using C-AF only possible with M4/3rds lenses? In S-AF mode, 10fps is easily acheived.
In any AF mode, most if not all cameras will only fire the shutter once it has achieved a focus lock or the AF system cannot determine a lock. The speed at which the AF lock is achieved and the exposure duration will influence the frame rate.

With the 50-200 plus the EC-14, you will at best be working at f/3.9 to f/5.6 so the DoF will provide you with a reasonable area to work in. Setting the focus to manual, and using hyperfocal distance techniques can get you the frame rate you require. We did some tests on several lens/cameras and were getting frame rates on some that were higher than the specifications.

Quote:
2. The document by Darrel Young about V.3 firmware says that, in C-AF with low speed sequential mode, the exposure is adjusted in between frames. I can't see how to make this happen - although the focus is adjusted between frames, the exposure seems to be locked on the first frame. I have the C-AF AEL/AFL mode set to "2". Indeed, the table on page 102 of the manual doesn't even suggest that exposure adjustments between frames might be possible. Anyone know if this can be done?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Dave
I would need to do some tests (probably with flash) to see what happens with the exposure at high frame rates. I expect that the exposure is determined for each frame, as it is entirely electronic and has not got to drive glass elements around in the lens.

I use a 400mm Sigma (OM fitting) in fully manual mode and the frame rate is very quick. I've never had an under/over exposure that was noticeable, but then I can't recall having experienced highly changing light conditions, during a sequence of shots.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 28th June 2015

Did a few more tests this morning.

First thing I did was update the firmware to 3.1 Don't know why but all the menus turned to Japanese which created several minutes of panic and headscratching before finding the option to set it back to English.

I then tried C-AF with low and high sequential shooting speeds.

High speed shoots at around 7fps - consistent with the 50-200 MKI with or without the EC-14 and also the 12-60 2.8-4. It auto-focusses between frames but the exposure is fixed at the first frame (as expected).

Low speed shoots at round 6fps across all lenses. Unlike yesterday, as well as refocussing between frames it is also adjusting the exposure between frames (as expected). I don't know if yesterday I was doing something wrong, or whether the firmware update has reset something.

Yesterday, I went to East Midlands airport to catch the Vulcan and to test the set up on some airliners whilst there. Mostly I'm impressed. One or two AF issues but nothing I can't handle. Images are stunningly sharp!

However, my usual technique when panning is to fire off short bursts of frames. With an OVF, this is fine. However, at the end of each burst, the EVF shows me the last frame shot with the file info on it. Anyone know if I can stop this so that, as soon as I release the shutter button, I get the real time view back immediately?

Thanks

Dave
Old 28th June 2015

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts

No sure whether this is your problem, but ....

There is a menu option to control whether it displays the shot you have just taken or not. menu button - spanner (bottom option) then Rec view and select Off.

John
Old 28th June 2015

Yep - that's got it. Thanks!
Old 28th June 2015

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,056 Posts

That's great Dave. I have my shot review turned off too. That's why you didn't notice it before. Haven't done 3.1 yet myself so will be interested in your experiences. Oh and you've got to post some Vulcan shots as I missed it.
Old 28th June 2015

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts

Dave, yes the 3.1 FW update does reset everything. If your camera defaulted to Japanese, then is it a grey import? Whatever, at least you knew where to go to change the language.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 28th June 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I thought you were going add there is something 53 million programmable presets available so don't worry if you get a bit bogged down at times

Apparently the camera will return to the original factory settings when we add the new firmware . And we cannot save our personal settings

I have found my "new" em1 a bit of a confusing pain to 'customize'. The one big change I did was set the front dial to aperture/shutter and the back dial to exposure compensation. And to be honest I have forgotten most other personal "custom setting" ...... And I only have the one 20mm Pana lens And I need to add the latest firmware so all setting will be lost anyway
Old 28th June 2015

Liked 2,834 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

There is a menu option to control whether it displays the shot you have just taken or not. menu button - spanner (bottom option) then Rec view and select Off.

John
Thanks for that John. I updated to 3.1 the other day and that irritating feature turned itself on again. I went through the camera's menu and the manual umpteen times but, for some reason, I couldn't find how to turn it off. All done now.

I even downloaded the spreadsheet from the Biofos site and recorded all my settings on it before updating the firmware, including my Rec View setting. I somehow managed to miss that!

Ron
Old 29th June 2015

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Thanks for that John. I updated to 3.1 the other day and that irritating feature turned itself on again. I went through the camera's menu and the manual umpteen times but, for some reason, I couldn't find how to turn it off. All done now.

I even downloaded the spreadsheet from the Biofos site and recorded all my settings on it before updating the firmware, including my Rec View setting. I somehow managed to miss that!

Ron
I think it is because it's too easy! When I saw Dave's original post the body happened to be handy but not the manual, so I went all the way through the utility (cogs) settings several times and cursed because I couldn't find it. Then eventually found it really quickly under the spanner

John
Old 3rd July 2015

Apologies for the delay in replying - been up to my neck in other stuff this week!

Yes it is a grey import, bought from HDEW who were great - delivered exactly when they said it would. Presumably, if mine defaulted to Japanese after a firmware update and official UK stock defaults to English, then the defaults for different territories must be different and Olympus must somehow "code" product to default to the appropriate language. If they can do that and not let the firmware update affect the default language, I wonder if they could also not let the firmware update affect all the settings?

Phill - I'll post some Vulcans later this weekend. And some airliner C-AF testing shots.

Haven't been out with the camera to practice panning since turning the review off. Might try and find somewhere to go this weekend. Whilst on that subject, I'm slightly confused as to what I'm seeing in the EVF during low and high speed continuous shooting. I thought I read somewhere that you see the images that you've taken rather than live view. Is that right or did I imagine it?

I still have so much to learn - couldn't understand why, this morning, the dials were adjusting white balance and ISO rather then aperture and exposure. Then I spotted that lever in position 2! Neat feature - once you know what it's doing!!

Dave
Old 3rd July 2015

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveben View Post
......Haven't been out with the camera to practice panning since turning the review off. Might try and find somewhere to go this weekend. Whilst on that subject, I'm slightly confused as to what I'm seeing in the EVF during low and high speed continuous shooting. I thought I read somewhere that you see the images that you've taken rather than live view. Is that right or did I imagine it?
Dave
You see the images you've taken when using C-AF & Hi Sequential, but in C-AF Low Sequential (or S-AF, Lo Seq.) you see the Live Preview (& not the image you've taken) between each frame, so when using C-AF & Hi you need to seemingly focus ahead (after the first frame) of a moving subject otherwise the result will always be behind the intended target.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th July 2015

Hi,

I have retested the frame rate I'm getting using my 50-200 MKI lens. I get the following:

S-AF High speed 10fps
C-Af High speed 6 fps
S-AF Low speed 5 fps
C-AF Low speed 4.5 fps

All of which is more or less in line with expectations apart from C-AF High speed, which, with version 3.1 of firmware, will supposedly operate at 9fps. The reduction is probably because of the lens I'm using. Just curious to know if anyone has acheived the 9fps using a M4/3rds lens?

Panning is proving trickier than I hoped. For these tests, I have reverted to S-AF to make sure the camera is not being hampered by time spent focussing.

In low speed mode, as kindly explained by Ross above, I see the live view in between frames. I'm a little disappointed by how long the EVF is blank in between frames - its quite a lot worse than my E30 in high speed mode (which is about the same as low speed mode in the E-M1!).

In high speed mode, the EVF is virtually continually on, but I'm seeing played back images. This leads to a kind of stop-frame effect but there are very little, if any, gaps between frames. This makes me wonder why there are gaps in the low speed mode. Using this technique, so long as the subject doesn't disappear out of the frame, it's not too hard to follow something which is moving in a defined direction - you just keep the subject central in the frames you are reviewing. It doesn't matter that they are not live view - you just speed up or slow down your panning speed as you would with an OVF.

However, there is one major annoyance. If I press the shutter button and release it immediately, to fire off 2 or 3 frames (which is exactly what I do using S-AF) the EVF goes completely blank I've tested this over and over and it definitely does it. Press and hold, and there is a very short blank period before the playback starts. But press and release leads to no image at all and no live view either. I have found that slowing the frame rate reduces this a little but then the refresh rate in the EVF is too slow for panning. Has anyone else noticed this?

One of my photographic interests is aircraft and low flying, hence my desire to fully understand the sequential shooting modes before my next trip. Any hints/tips from anyone who does a lot of high speed panning photography?

Thanks

Dave
Old 4th July 2015

Forgot to add...I'm very impressed with the IQ from this camera. Never could have got this detail nor DR from my E30 (might not show up too well in this small image):