Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 30th December 2013

Liked 375 Times in 178 Posts
OM-D E-M1 questions...

Been given some money as a birthday present, couple that with a discount as my wife works for a large chain which sells the Olympus OM-D E-M1, and a bit of savings i've made over the past couple of months, and I am considering buying a new E-M1.... body only perhaps and using the 4/3rds lenses I already have, but reading the various members views on here regarding the new camera, I am debating with myself now...

Do I go whole hog and get the camera and 12-40 lens..... (limiting my lens to that one only at present) or do I go....
Body only ?? Use 4/3rds glass...
Camera plus 12-50 lens....??

Will it improve my photography?? or my pictures?? I am only now getting to grips with my E600, is it too complicated for me ???

Oh dear too many things to think about.... i'm open to debate from you guys who are much more advanced than me in these matters !!

Cheers

Peter
Old 30th December 2013

Liked 2,579 Times in 800 Posts
Re: OM-D E-M1 questions...

Hi Peter. If you do decide to go for the E-M1 I would suggest getting it with the 12-40 lens as it is such a good saving at the moment. It is also splashproof to make the most of the body's weather proofing.

It is rather a complicated camera to use (probably too much so in my case) but is very nice indeed to handle. However, I don't think it will automatically lead to better photographs. I have yet to take any shots which I am entirely satisfied with and I think I got better results with my old cameras.

Personally, I would wait to see if or when Olympus can solve the various issues, such as locking up and blurred images, which some users have reported. It should be cheaper too in a few months.

Just my opinion but good luck with whatever you decide.

Ron
Old 30th December 2013

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

I argree with the above-wait till the bugs are sorted. Why not try the new pen! It works well.
Old 30th December 2013

Liked 323 Times in 219 Posts

No camera will make you a better photographer. It may make you feel like a better one though. The E-M1 is lovely. I got the body only and although I now have the MMF3 to use with my 43rds glass (including the cracking 12-60), I sometimes wish I had got the 12-40 at the same time.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 30th December 2013

Liked 1,281 Times in 303 Posts

Have you had the opportunity to try an EM-1 yet Peter?

If not, I'd recommend you try before you buy, LCE in Colchester have them in stock and are very helpful.

I bought a 12-50 kit and a 12-40 separately in addition to having several 4/3 lenses, this allows me to take advantage of the m 4/3. size as well as allowing me to use my 4/3 glass depending on the situation.

I've taken a few photographs with the EM-1 that I'm happy with but, as others have said, a new camera doesn't make us better photographers.

I live very
close to Ipswich, maybe I'll bump into you at some point.

Dave
Old 30th December 2013

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

In an ideal world I would have liked to go for the 12-40 kit rather than the body only kit.

However, I am pleased to be using my 11-22, 50 and 50-200 again. If I need a 40-150 or 14-42 I daresay I can use the kit lenses that came with my E-400.

The real thing that the E-M1 has going for it (apart from image quality) is that I find it's ergonomics excellent (pretty much on a par with my late E-1). It makes it an easy camera to bond with in my case. In my view, that is one of the most important factors in a camera, being able to get on with it. It can trump technical prowess in my opinion and in my view Olympus did a good job with the E-M1.

It works the HG 4/3s lenses that I have pretty well (and good enough for 95% of what I do). The jury is out on BIF. So, provided you have the MMF-3 there is something to be said for using your existing lenses, especially if they are HG or SHG as they are splash proof already, which relatively few m43 lenses are (the 12-50 is).

Bottom line: how much do you wish to spend? I liked the 12-50 as a decent all round performer when I had an E-M5. If you are travelling and don't need ultimate image quality it will cover most of what you want with either a 40-150 or 75-300 covering the rest. However, it won't be as good as either HG/SHG 43s lenses or the 12-40.
Old 31st December 2013

Liked 375 Times in 178 Posts

Thanks everyone, sound advise.....i'm still debating so may well hold off for a couple of months to see what happens (price etc)...Dave i'm on the eastern side of town so if you fancy a meet up at any time send me a PM....i'll be interested to see the EM-1,

Cheers

Peter
Old 31st December 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

I'd be inclined to go for the EM-1 12-40 kit and use your 4/3 glass too and over time add some m.4/3 lenses such as the 75mm and when it comes out in 12 months time the m.4/3 40-150 2.8. Will it make you a better photographer, no is the answer to that only you can make yourself a better photographer. Now the question you should be asking is, "Will I get better results with my new kit", the answer to that is yes it will, which of course will make you feel a better photographer.

Here is a link called Olympus EM-1 Test Drive which might give you food for thought.

Hope this helps.

Tom Happy New Year may the best of 2013 be the worst of 2014

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (1st January 2014)
Old 1st January 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New cameras and better photography? Well yes and no....
Of course it won't make you 'see' better, but a camera that is a pleasure to use, allows you to bond, and is technically good will help.

The E-M1 is a lovely piece of kit, most of all because of the great EVF. That helps me a lot, and means I use my m43 kit instead of my Leica gear while travelling.

Bugs? No. Just the usual internet fluff...
The Following User Liked This Post:
photo_owl (2nd January 2014)