Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th January 2010

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Snapshots [15] of my new location in China..

Hi,

Moving and job-hunting took longer than I anticipated, but I did manage to snap a couple of shots while I was between interviews. All taken with the 9-18mm on my E-400 in tourist mode

I was in the N.E. of China, a big polluted city called Shenyang. I am now in a much cleaner, nicer and warmer city, Suzhou: west of Shanghai.

The air is definitely cleaner, though not perfect. The people are already friendlier and the spread of wealth is better.

My apartment has some nice landscaping in the grounds. It's nicer than the previous one, which was on a busy road junction.

It's a canal city, and this is just one. Apparently Suzhou is the "Venice of China", so I'm looking forward to exploring more.

The old city is a world heritage site, but development continues with just a hint of "old" China in the buildings. They cannot build high near here, but they still build!

This temple is opposite the shops above, and the old city is behind. I hope to have time to explore in the next couple of days.

Recycling cardboard boxes. They waste nothing. An electric bus for tired shoppers!

They like their statues....these outside a shop.

Lanterns blowing in the wind.

Sorry for so many snapshots, but these are my first in this city. It's so different to Shenyang!

DavidJ.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
Old 28th January 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Snapshots [15] of my new location in China..

Wow!

I tell you what: Its different to Basingstoke too :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 28th January 2010

Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts

Fantastic set of shots. Theres a strange mix between old and modern!

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 28th January 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Nice images...see the 400 is a great little camera...especially like the 'rickshaw' driver image
Old 28th January 2010

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

What an interesting looking place,isn't it the place with the UNESCO heritage gardens?
If it is I've seen it on the tele.

Looking forward to some more images.

Well done.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 28th January 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

These are really good. Well done - and keep them coming.
Old 28th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
What an interesting looking place,isn't it the place with the UNESCO heritage gardens?
If it is I've seen it on the tele.

Looking forward to some more images.

Well done.
Yes, indeed.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/813

I hope I can do it justice when I get there. The whole city is meant to be very photogenic, if not this whole part of China!

Thanks to all for your kind comments on my photos!

DavidJ.
Old 28th January 2010
JackBenedict

Re: Jessops

Super shots ...... keep them coming. It's so refeshing to see the real China rather than the stereotype pictures we do see ( not tht there is anything wrong with those ).

Anything that brings the world a little closer is always welcome.

Last edited by Ian; 28th January 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Moved from wrong thread!
Old 29th January 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hi David

Terrific shots, bring back many memories of the many visits I made to China when I was a Far East sales manager for a division of the Marconi company in the 70/80/90's. I was always amazed at the rate of development which doesn't seem to have abated. The first time I visited Beijing the only traffic on the "B" road from the airport to the city was bicycles and donkey carts. By the time of my last visit the road was a 6 lane motorway, Beijing had I think 3 ring roads and the bicycles seemed to be outnumbered by Mercedes! I never got to Shenyang or Suzhou but spent a lot of time in Beijing ( more climbs on the Great Wall than I really needed) and Nanjing as well as a number of visits to Wuhan, Shanghai, Xiamen, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I hope you enjoy your time in Suzhou. Keep those fabulous shots coming.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 29th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERBIRDER View Post
Hi David
[Snip] By the time of my last visit the road was a 6 lane motorway, Beijing had I think 3 ring roads and the bicycles seemed to be outnumbered by Mercedes! I never got to Shenyang or Suzhou but spent a lot of time in Beijing ( more climbs on the Great Wall than I really needed) and Nanjing as well as a number of visits to Wuhan, Shanghai, Xiamen, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. I hope you enjoy your time in Suzhou. Keep those fabulous shots coming.
Regards
Yes, the development is intense and there are so many rich people now. Shenyang is "nouveau riche" with blatant and unsubtle ostentatious people lording over everyone else. It's not nice to see, and given the wealth is unfairly spread, I wouldn't want to be one if there's another revolution because they'd be a high target.

It seems the psychology is the grandparents remember starving in the great famine, and had nothing. Their life was nothing but struggle and watching officials and criminals take all that was good. They now see opportunity to be rich (read powerful in this country) and don't know if it will end, so they grab every opportunity. I guess this makes it understandable in a way.

Suzhou has a better spread of wealth, and it shows.

However, the rate of urban and monetary development in China is far outpacing the usual social development that goes with it. The young are pushing for ever more change, but don't know how to deal with it.

Interesting times for China.

Thanks for your comments.

DavidJ.