Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 10th February 2019

Liked 846 Times in 541 Posts
Re: My latest foray into FF mirrorless - and why I'm sticking with m43

A friend of mine has (or maybe had, it's some time since we were in touch) an Xpan which he enjoyed a lot. Also, you can (or could) get adaptors for the Mamiya 6 and 7 medium format rangefinders which took 35mm film, and in the case of the Mamya 7 produced negatives almost the same size as the Xpan. I had a 6MF for several years and it was a brilliant camera with superb lenses, though I never bothered with the 35mm adaptor. If I wanted a letterbox format I'd simply mask the neg during printing - that gave more flexibility.
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 3,097 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
A friend of mine has (or maybe had, it's some time since we were in touch) an Xpan which he enjoyed a lot. Also, you can (or could) get adaptors for the Mamiya 6 and 7 medium format rangefinders which took 35mm film, and in the case of the Mamya 7 produced negatives almost the same size as the Xpan. I had a 6MF for several years and it was a brilliant camera with superb lenses, though I never bothered with the 35mm adaptor. If I wanted a letterbox format I'd simply mask the neg during printing - that gave more flexibility.
Masking would never have helped me as I always shot transparencies.

Harold
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 846 Times in 541 Posts

You can mask transparencies Harold, when I was a camera club member a lot of people did, usually using tinfoil in the mount. Done properly it works very well.
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 3,097 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
You can mask transparencies Harold, when I was a camera club member a lot of people did, usually using tinfoil in the mount. Done properly it works very well.
Otto,

Now that you mention it, I recall that.

Harold
Old 10th February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
GePe made pre-masked 35mm slide mounts with fixed strips of metal at the top and bottom (or left and right if you was using portrait orientation). The disadvantage of this was the lack of flexibility for cropping and of course it didn't apply to medium format. However, I did find them useful on the odd occasion.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Excellent post, Paul. I won't try and elaborate as others have more or less said it all..... I've also decided to stick with what I have (E-M1) as it's a far better camera than I'll ever be a photographer (plus the choice of lenses is beyond fabulous).
Old 11th February 2019

Liked 657 Times in 342 Posts

I just learn something new. I have always wondered if this was possible with the uniqueness of the feature. And Thanks for confirming it.

Quote:
Livetime feature. I use it very often shooting daytime with ND filters. Not only is it useful for judging the right exposure time, but you can do real-time "burning in" of parts of the image using a mask in front of the lens during exposure

All my garbage so far.
Old 11th February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

I spent half a day with the FF Panasonic Lumix S1 on Saturday - it's undoubtedly nice and I'd not say no if offered one, but it's huge! The 50mm f/1.4 is the size of a ZD 14-35 f/2.0 - and some of you will know how large and heavy that is. It must be 3-4 times longer than a film-era Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and 5-6 times the weight. It's astonishing. On the other hand, it's very sharp and playing with the DOF (or lack of it) at f/1.4 is fun.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th February 2019

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I spent half a day with the FF Panasonic Lumix S1 on Saturday - it's undoubtedly nice and I'd not say no if offered one, but it's huge! The 50mm f/1.4 is the size of a ZD 14-35 f/2.0 - and some of you will know how large and heavy that is. It must be 3-4 times longer than a film-era Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and 5-6 times the weight. It's astonishing. On the other hand, it's very sharp and playing with the DOF (or lack of it) at f/1.4 is fun.

Ian
Yes, I see both the bodies weigh around 2.25lbs, which is also extremely heavy in comparison with the Z6/7, A9/A7Riii, Canon R etc. Itís around the same as a D850.

I do wonder how many mirrorless people currently enthusing over these kits will still do so when the practicalities strike home. On the other hand, sideways movers from pro DSLRs will feel more at home so itís probably part of Pannyís marketing strategy.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 11th February 2019

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I just learn something new. I have always wondered if this was possible with the uniqueness of the feature. And Thanks for confirming it.
I posted a thread about it in detail over on mu43 :

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/dodgin...vetime.102490/
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (12th February 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (11th February 2019)
Old 11th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
I do find this trend to very large 50mm lenses interesting. The Sony 55/1.8 is pretty big, as is the Nikon 50/1.8. The new Panasonic 50/1.4 takes it to crazy levels though. Back in my Canon days I had their 50/1.4 and it was tiny in comparison. It wasn't a bad performer either.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 11th February 2019

On the wider subject of m43 and the IQ gap to FF... I was doing some re-org over the weekend of my photo library since I'd blown the 1TB hard disk I was using for the library (now upgraded to 4TB ). Anyhow, using LR's metadata filtering, I noticed a few things:

- 90% of my shots are at ISO 200

- Comparing my ISO 200 shots to ISO 100 shots on the A7iii I took at LCE last week (i.e. both cameras on base ISO), I can see very little difference. DR is a tad better on the Sony, but I don't think it's night & day difference (ha, ha). Pushing shadows on the Oly still keeps the noise in reasonable shape and adding just a little NR deals with it without noticable softening. So, m43 really is perfectly good enough at base ISO. No need for FF at all when looking only at noise and general image quality (of course, there may be other reasons for FF such as narrower DOF or if you use a higher resolution FF camera).

- For the 10% of shots above ISO 200, I must say that close inspection is a bit of a mixed bag. For shots taken with very sharp lenses and taken outdoors where I'd given the image a healthy exposure (usually overexposed so far as the metering was concerned), then they were generally acceptable up to ISO 1600 (I'm talking E-M1ii mainly but I think the comments apply to pretty much every 16 or 20Mp Oly camera).

- For shots indoors, often in poor light and where the exposure was not pushed up, the results often looked pretty bad as low as ISO 800. Usually these were shots of people where using the IBIS to get a longer exposure time to reduce ISO was not an option.

I think I may keep my eye open for something that would better suit indoor low light shooting. An RX1Rii looks a possibility, but it's pretty pricey. Alternatively, an A7iii with the Samyang 35/1.4 would come in at about the same but somewhat larger. An Oly f1.2 prime is a possibility, but I don't think it'd really offer enough extra.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (11th February 2019), Zuiko (11th February 2019)
Old 11th February 2019
Administrator

The evolution of the 50mm standard lens!

(That's me behind the Panasonic Lumix S1 by the way )

Ian

The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (11th February 2019), OM USer (11th February 2019), pault (11th February 2019)
Old 11th February 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I do find this trend to very large 50mm lenses interesting. The Sony 55/1.8 is pretty big, as is the Nikon 50/1.8. The new Panasonic 50/1.4 takes it to crazy levels though. Back in my Canon days I had their 50/1.4 and it was tiny in comparison. It wasn't a bad performer either.
The OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 was even smaller.

It all comes down to optimising the lens optics to the sensor. I don't think Panasonic uses stepped microlenses, so you need the exit pupil to be large enough to avoid corner-shading. Even with the benefit of not having a mirror box in the way, maximum 'digital' optical quality does mean big glass

Even the Micro Four Thirds best IQ lenses are big in relation to the sensors.

Ian

Old 11th February 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yes, I see both the bodies weigh around 2.25lbs, which is also extremely heavy in comparison with the Z6/7, A9/A7Riii, Canon R etc. Itís around the same as a D850.

I do wonder how many mirrorless people currently enthusing over these kits will still do so when the practicalities strike home. On the other hand, sideways movers from pro DSLRs will feel more at home so itís probably part of Pannyís marketing strategy.
Feedback from Panasonic I've received suggests that the large S-series body (which is significantly bigger than the new mirrorless FFs from Sony, Canon and Nikon) can be explained by the need to dissipate heat more effectively and to provide a body that balances the big lenses it will be used with.

It's also been pointed out to me that differentiating Micro Four Thirds and FF, while important, is less of an issue for Panasonic because M43 is already small. The suggestion is that it's more difficult for Nikon, Canon and Sony to do this because APS is significantly closer to FF in size, meaning the camera bodies and, especially, the lenses, will be much closer in size and weight to FF versions.

I'd also expect Sony, Nikon and Canon *not* to endow their APS-C ranges with models that might challenge their FF ranges for features and ultimate IQ.

Ian