Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 17th September 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OI Share - viewing images on camera's card

Hi,

New here, first post.

I normally shoot Canon (80D) but my wife recently moved from a Panasonic G7 to an Olympus E-M5ii.

With my Canon camera I can use their camera connect app on my tablet and review all the images on my camera's memory card via WiFi. I typically do this on location to allow me to review the images on a larger screen and delete the duds.

I'd like to do the same with the Olympus but the OI Share software doesn't seem to allow that? I can review images taken using the remote control function but not those on the camera's memory card that were taken when not connected.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or doing something stupid (quite possible)

Cheers

Stuart
Old 17th September 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: OI Share - viewing images on camera's card

Are you shooting raw or jpeg on the Olympus ?. The app may not like the Olympus raw files ?.. not sure just a shot in the dark
Old 17th September 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well spotted that man! The camera is indeed set to RAW only. Setting the camera to jpg fixes the visibility issue, as does switching to RAW + jpg.

As we'd much rather shoot in RAW mode I guess the only option is to shoot RAW + jpg but that's not going to work as well as it does with the Canon for deleting whilst reviewing. Odd that the Olympus app can't handle its own RAW format...

Cheers,

Stuart
Old 17th September 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Hello Stuart, welcome to the Forum.

OI Share will only import the jpg files, not the ORF files.

Simply set the camera to RAW + jpg and it will import them.

I suggest you set the jpg files to the same resolution as the tablet (1024x768) as that way there is no processing (re-sizing) going on in the tablet, so you get to see the image as processed by the camera.

I've demonstrated this to many camera clubs and shown how mismatched resolutions and re-sizing algorithms can make images look worse that they actually are. If you cant get a match size with the tablet, go to the next size down, and don't display "full screen".

Do please show us some of what you shoot.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 17th September 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mmmm... Doesn't seem to be an option to delete from the app either....
Old 17th September 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Wink Re: OI Share - viewing images on camera's card

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR1953 View Post
Mmmm... Doesn't seem to be an option to delete from the app either....
No the "idea" behind OI Share is very much one of capture/upload and send to social media (or your publisher )

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 17th September 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Graham, thanks for the welcome and the resolution tip!

I will set the camera up for RAW + jpg so that my wife can see the images on her tablet, shame there's no delete option, although I'm guessing even if there was that just the jpg would get deleted leaving the RAW file intact.

I will put some pics up at some point although I don't use the camera much since the wife deliberately bought a bright pink camera bag for all her kit

Shame because I really do like the camera (IQ as well as looks), reminds me of my OM1n back in my film days.