Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 5th June 2015

Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Thinking of taking the plunge on an E-M1

I asked in the LCE store in Bristol regarding the £150 trade in bonus, and was told that if the advert says 'Any' working camera, then they will take any camera.

Just having a play with the E-M1 for the first time, and compared to my E-PL3, it's amazing!
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 142 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Looks like this is the camera for me but I've decided to wait to see if the M2 is forthcoming in the near future. I figure that if it is, it will either have new features/performance that are worth paying the extra for, or, if those new features are of no interest to me, the price of the M1 might drop a bit!

After all, I've survived with my humble E30 for 6 years so it's not great shakes waiting a little longer.

Thanks again

Dave
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

LCE Bristol have just listed this one for sale ......

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olymp...ip_123917.html

Complete with grip for 599

The usual S/Hand depreciation seems to be happening to the em1 now, great if you want to buy, not so good if you want to sell.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
The usual S/Hand depreciation seems to be happening to the em1 now...
Caused by all these E-M2 rumours perhaps?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (12th June 2015)
Old 12th June 2015

Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,268 Posts
Liked 2,260 Times in 1,075 Posts

599 wow don't expect that to be around long. Wonder how much they gave for it
Old 12th June 2015

Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,268 Posts
Liked 2,260 Times in 1,075 Posts

Dave I agree the EM2 should have some improvements when it's available but it's likely to be around the 1200 quid mark! It's probably going to be around 3 years before it gets down to these low EM1 prices. £599 for an EM1 now plus grip and from a reputable dealer too, seems like a steel to me.
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

I think a part of the reason for the low price is linked to the deal currently on for a new one....as with all products in the Olympus Summer offer, used prices are impacted (as above, good if buying less so if selling).
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 2,937 Times in 854 Posts

I think the new Sony a7R II is a game changer and will completely shake up the mirrorless market. The E-M1, along with many other competitors, will now appear to be distinctly 'old hat' and secondhand prices will reflect this. The E-M1's successor will need to be extremely good.

Ron
Old 12th June 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Ron!

I agree that the A7r ii is a game changer in some ways, but it will still require significantly larger lenses to see any benefit - an equivalent to a panasonic 100-300 would be HUGE - the other option would be using a shorter lens and then cropping, but you would loose most of the advantage gained by using a full frame sensor. I would rather have a 4/3 sensor with small light lenses, with a resolution of 16 MP still but even better low light focussing and high iso noise performance - after all I very rarely need all 16MP - how could I justify 42MP!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 13th June 2015

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I think the new Sony a7R II is a game changer and will completely shake up the mirrorless market. The E-M1, along with many other competitors, will now appear to be distinctly 'old hat' and secondhand prices will reflect this. The E-M1's successor will need to be extremely good.

Ron
If it lives up to its pre-release hype, then I agree entirely Ron. I looked at the original A7 when it came out but was pretty underwhelmed from a handling and feel perspective. However, I played around a bit with the A7ii recently and it's a big improvement. The new A7Rii looks to build on that significantly. Providing AF for Canon EF lenses is quite an inspired idea. Quite a camera I'd say.

However, the native lens availability is poor and they're all big, so it won't suit those who prefer a smaller setup. It does put a lot of pressure on Oly though. If the E-M1 ii doesn't have a decent sensor uplift, I fear it'll not be a successful release.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

It has the potential to be a game changer if it delivers away from the spec sheet....the indicative cost of the A7RII is in another league altogether (compared to E-M1/GH4).
Old 13th June 2015

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Thinking of taking the plunge on an E-M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post

Ron
The Sony body alone is twice the launch price of the E-M1 and takes FF lenses with all the weight and bulk that implies. And the expense to actually get good glass that performs as up to the Pro Zuiko or Leica lenses.
Vive la difference.
Don't really see any more direct competition from Sony A7R II than with a Canon 5D MkIII.
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
The Sony body alone is twice the launch price of the E-M1 and takes FF lenses with all the weight and bulk that implies. And the expense to actually get good glass that performs as up to the Pro Zuiko or Leica lenses.
Vive la difference.
Don't really see any more direct competition from Sony A7R II than with a Canon 5D MkIII.
Sorry, rechecked the price of the Sony body: make that three times the price of an E-M1 ...

But I'm no anti-Sony fanboy - I applaud the way they are advancing mirrorless technology and pushing the envelope into the DSLR realm, and hopefully surpass it.
But in the world of optics a bigger sensor will require bigger glass. You can make the body any thickness you want, you then have the imbalance of skinny body and big heavy lenses - which will give poor handling.
The whole point of M43 is that it deliberately chose a smaller sensor and in return gets smaller, lighter lenses.
If you want the 35 mm legacy of bulk and weight, go for it! It used to be a lightweight format, but the film age is over and the digital reality is that APS and M43, even 1-inch sensors now, can produce quality that is more than sufficient for a lot of high quality professional publications.
I'd much rather have 3 E-M1 bodies than one A7!
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Assuming the A7R II sensor lives up to the announcement hype, it will be interesting to see if this technology -with lots of PDAF sensors and "back-side interconnect" is used in the E-M1's replacement.
Does anybody know if the Sony's PDAF cells are cross type, or if the C-AF works sufficiently well for BIF?
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

These releases won't shake up the market. Maybe in the super enthusiast mirrorless scene but outside of that bubble noone could give a monkeys @ that price point.

Sony own the sensor space and if you want the newest tech then they're the way to go. If you want that tech to have any kind of follow up support then buy an Oly or a Fuji although they don't match the sensor size.(There are probably other brands with similar support but i haven't had the pleasure of owning their products).

Comparisons between the FF Sonys and the M43 Oly seem silly. They're two different bodies achieving two different goals. There is no need to compete!