Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 9th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Thumbs up Epping Forest outing pictures

I think we are all wacked after hiking up and down Epping Forest today, but a gallery for the day's pix has been created here and will, soon!, show some pictures frmo the day

Look here:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/664

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 9th November 2008

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Re: Epping Forest outing pictures

Hi Ian

clicked on link but sadly.....no pics!!
Old 9th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
Hi Ian

clicked on link but sadly.....no pics!!
There are now!

Sorry for the delay, lots of PP to do, in between eating tea, putting my daughter to bed and 'phoning my mum!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th November 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

My feet are still tingling and I fell asleep when I got home so I've only just put the card into the backup drive so will start processing tomorrow.

One of my most memorable things from today was the look of relief on Ian's face when I asked to use the 90-250. I was quickly handed the lens and he sprinted off down the track, safe in the knowledge I couldn't catch up to give it back and that he could catch me, if I took a likeing to it, as I'd never be able to run far with it...

What a fantastic lens. Ok it's expensive but it's also easy to see why.

Please remember this is a low res version of the image, taken @ 1/160 f2.8 hand held at the full 250mm. Also there is no IS on the body I use.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 9th November 2008
Administrator

And here are some of my own favourites from the day:-

The customary group picture. Left to right: JohnGG, Napper, Me, Glen Bentley, Ian, andym, Andrew Riddell, Graham from Rainham, mlc, Roger Mac, Xpres.

Ian, JohnGG and Xpres all looking very intrepid and ready for action!

Look what I've got! Like a dog with two tails!

This was my first pic of the day. Despite arriving at 6am the sunrise was not how I hoped it would be (although some of the group got successful shots) and I waited until the sun was up before taking this picture of trees beside Connaught Water.

Also at Connaught Water, I was attracted to the contrasty view. It needed a fair bit of work in Elements!

We walked along forest tracks to High Beech (where we had a pub lunch) and on the way I borrowed the 7-14mm from Ian - what a lens!

This was another I took to test the field of view and low-angle capabilities of the 7-14mm.

After lunch I went back to using my 14-54mm but still managed to get some dramatic angles at it's widest setting. Note the purple fringing To be fair, I only get that with this lens in this type of high contrast composition.

The contrast in this strongly backlit scene was asking a bit much of the sensor but, with a bit of work on the RAW file in Elements, it seemed to cope quite well.

On the way back to Connaught Water in the afternoon the sun disappeared again but there was still plenty of colouful scenes that benefited from the soft light, as long as I was careful to exclude the sky.

By this time there were plenty of people about enjoing the remarkably good weather for the time of year, both on foot....

......and on horseback.

I really enjoyed the day, thanks partly to the good weather and stunning autumn colours, but mainly to the excellent company. Thanks to eveyone who attended and to Ian for bringing the usual treaure trove of equipment (look out for images in the gallery taken on the new Lumix G1 and Zuiko 90-250mm and 9-18mm lenses, amongst others.

Soon be time to start planning some events for next year.......

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Ian; 11th November 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

The gallery is beginning to fill up - nearly 30 images now

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/664

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th November 2008

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Really great shots .... wish I could have been part of the group!! Epping Forest, my Mother used to tell me about that part of England and I would some day like to see it.
Old 10th November 2008
Xpres

We were lucky with the weather and I for one had a very enjoyable day. I was shattered when I got home.

Thanks John for organising (and lift ), and Ian for toys.

Old 10th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, some lovely pictures both here and in the gallery. Glorious autumn colours, wonderful blue skies and some very happy chaps with their cameras. It looks as if it was a brilliant day out
Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I spent the best part of the day using the 90-250. It's a lens I'd love to own but probably never will, so I'm really grateful to Ian for allowing me to have use of it.

Given this opportunity, I simply had to try using it in as many ways I could, within my own limitations and that of a fairly dull day. I had it attached to an E-500 and only used it hand held. Most of the time I was shooting wide open and below 1/250s, so I really didn't expect too much.

I really should know better, as I always get results that are better than I expect from Olympus kit and often it surpasses that of others. I've posted some of my extreme test shots, where I've pushed the lens to my limits.

This one however clearly shows one of the big disadvantages of such a long lens

Your are so far away you can't hear the joke

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th November 2008
Napper

What a good day, great weather, great company and some great pictures. Thanks to John for organizing the trip and Ian for bringing all his gadgets. It was good to get to meet some faces of this brilliant site, even if it was a bit of a long day (on the road at 04:15 to get there and got home about 17:45) here are some of my offerings from the day Hope you like them. (Oops Ian I've still got that attatchment upload problem - will post to Photobucket then insert links) cheers.

Old 10th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
My feet are still tingling and I fell asleep when I got home so I've only just put the card into the backup drive so will start processing tomorrow.

One of my most memorable things from today was the look of relief on Ian's face when I asked to use the 90-250. I was quickly handed the lens and he sprinted off down the track, safe in the knowledge I couldn't catch up to give it back and that he could catch me, if I took a likeing to it, as I'd never be able to run far with it...

What a fantastic lens. Ok it's expensive but it's also easy to see why.

Please remember this is a low res version of the image, taken @ 1/160 f2.8 hand held at the full 250mm. Also there is no IS on the body I use.

As seen on Crimewatch UK!

Old 11th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post
What a good day, great weather, great company and some great pictures. Thanks to John for organizing the trip and Ian for bringing all his gadgets. It was good to get to meet some faces of this brilliant site, even if it was a bit of a long day (on the road at 04:15 to get there and got home about 17:45) here are some of my offerings from the day Hope you like them. (Oops Ian I've still got that attatchment upload problem - will post to Photobucket then insert links) cheers.
Hi Napper,

What a great set of pictures - I should think it made the long drive from Norfolk worthwhile! You even got a sharp shot of the dog with a log - I tried but failed! Lovely sunrise to start with and stunning colours and tunnel effect in the last.

Old 11th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
We were lucky with the weather and I for one had a very enjoyable day. I was shattered when I got home.

Thanks John for organising (and lift ), and Ian for toys.
First shot of single leaf against blurred background absolutely stunning!

Nice to meet you and glad you had a good day.

Cheers,

Old 11th November 2008
Administrator

Apologies to Andrew Riddell for spelling his name incorrectly in the caption for the Group Photo. I cannot edit at moment and have asked Ian to correct this error for me in due course.