Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 27th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12-60 mm Front Seal

Has anyone had an experience of the front seal of a 12-60 SWD lens popping out? Mine has, and at first the symptom was simply that the 'zoom' became very stiff. In other respects, the lens was still functioning correctly and as I was on holiday, with no alternative lens available, it took a few shots before I noticed that the seal had partially popped out.

I will be phoning Olympus tomorrow to check on repair cost as this is my most used lens.
Old 27th March 2014

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts
Re: 12-60 mm Front Seal

I'm always careful to keep my lens barrels lubricated with a dry silicone spray, applied by spraying onto a tissue and wiping the barrel. It works very well, and the invisible coating also repels water. I also do this on the hood bayonet.

I repeat the process about once a year.

In 'Batman's case, I'd be inclined to lubricate the barrel as above and see if I could re-insert the seal.

Jim
Old 27th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'm always careful to keep my lens barrels lubricated with a dry silicone spray, applied by spraying onto a tissue and wiping the barrel. It works very well, and the invisible coating also repels water. I also do this on the hood bayonet.

I repeat the process about once a year.

In 'Batman's case, I'd be inclined to lubricate the barrel as above and see if I could re-insert the seal.

Jim
Thank for your advice Jim. I did as you suggested when my 70-300 became a little tight, and it did work, though I also worried about what Olympus would think of the treatment. In this case, I had no warning. At this point I worry whether any form of lubricant would degrade the seal material and make Olympus 'hike' any repair cost. Also, it did occur in a 'dusty/sandy' environment, so I wonder whether the lens may now need a good clean out.
Old 27th March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've heard of this happening before on the 12-60.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th March 2014

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem, Dave.

Mine did this a couple of years ago. Suddenly became very stiff to zoom, then the rubber ring appeared between the inner barrel and the zoom ring. When I mentioned it on here at the time there were a few rumbles of "been there, done that".

I got it repaired at Luton Camera Repair Services - http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ . They are long-standing official Olympus repair agents and I trust them with stuff. I can't remember what it cost, sorry, but somewhere around the 60 to 80 pound mark feels about right. I think Luton were a bit cheaper than Oly in this case - Oly just wanted to quote a price for a general service.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Batman (27th March 2014)
Old 27th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I've heard of this happening before on the 12-60.
I'm a bit surprised that this seems like a fairly common problem on such a well regarded lens. Some sort of 'lubrication' does seem in order, as suggested by Jim.
Old 27th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem, Dave.

Mine did this a couple of years ago. Suddenly became very stiff to zoom, then the rubber ring appeared between the inner barrel and the zoom ring. When I mentioned it on here at the time there were a few rumbles of "been there, done that".

I got it repaired at Luton Camera Repair Services - http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ . They are long-standing official Olympus repair agents and I trust them with stuff. I can't remember what it cost, sorry, but somewhere around the 60 to 80 pound mark feels about right. I think Luton were a bit cheaper than Oly in this case - Oly just wanted to quote a price for a general service.

John
Thank you John. I'll look into both options tomorrow. Because I was in a sandy environment when it happened, I wonder whether a general service and clean might be in order anyway.
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update on this issue. I spoke to Olympus on the phone on Friday 28 March and they couldn't provide a 'standard' repair price for this lens. They arranged courier pickup on Monday 31 March and I received the estimate today, 4 April. The price was £121.84 inc VAT, which would include a thorough check of the lens and specifically, 'attention to the autofocus system assembly'. I didn't think that I had been having problems with autofocus, but as long as the lens gets a thorough check up I guess that I am happy. With a 6 month warranty, I didn't think that was too bad. The service so far has been pretty good. Lets hope I get the lens back soon.
Old 4th April 2014

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Thank for your advice Jim. I did as you suggested when my 70-300 became a little tight, and it did work, though I also worried about what Olympus would think of the treatment. In this case, I had no warning. At this point I worry whether any form of lubricant would degrade the seal material and make Olympus 'hike' any repair cost.
I suspect that Olympus use a dry silicone lubricant on their lens barrels during manufacture. I've noticed that they have the characteristic 'silky' feel to touch of a silicone treated surface when new.

Jim
Old 20th May 2014

Liked 124 Times in 40 Posts

Hi Jim,

Please could you recommend the brand name of the dry silicone spray that you use and a stockist for that product.

Thomas.