Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 16th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

Oh No! So was looking forward to my EM1 but yet more woes....I wonder if other brands have similar problems ...but I don't recall many issues with the E1, E3 and E5.
Mirrorless and five way stabilisation might not be all that is cracked up to be... reading more on EM5 and EM1 lock ups...its the last thing you would want at rare events when you can repeat the experience!
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
It clearly isn't the case as I was the only one using short release lag-time and I + the others have had this problem with release lag set to normal.

I was also using a different, freshly charged battery today

At the moment the only common factor appears to be that we were all using CAF when we experienced the problem (but even that is not a causal link)

(Sorry - one of my key roles in my job in R&D was technical problem analysis and resolution and I also ended up training people to use these techniques in my latter years )
Don't apologise Brian! You are definitely coming at this problem in the right way, and eliminating variables can only help Olympus to pinpoint the problem, and thus provide a (hopefully) quick solution!
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (16th October 2013)
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
I've had another quick test shoot with the lens I was using today, my 75-300.

I also ran a few frames through using my 60mm macro.

I'm beginning to wonder if there may be an IS fault as, on this sample of around 30 shots, I'm finding it near enough impossible to get a blur free images at 300mm below about 1/1000th sec with IS on

With the 60mm macro I am getting blurry images at 1/40th - 1/100th, becoming blur free at 1/400th+

(with my em-5 I can get consistently get blur free shots with shutter speed below the 1/fl speed )

A definite call to Olympus Support tomorrow

(I must say that I have done a search on the web and can find no one else reporting this so I may be a small sample of one with a very specific problem)
Brian, I mentioned IBIS problems I'd experienced with the M1 in an earlier thread and having had nearly two weeks experience of the camera, including in Greece, I am finding that the problem is easing. This is without changing my technique at all and seems to confirm my original suggestion in that thread - that the IBIS needs "running in". I have not found any problems when using the 60mm or 4/3 7-14 or 14-150, but I have not used IBIS much with these lenses as the light level in Greece has been such that higher shutter speeds were used. My experience with the 75-300mm has also shown that the results on the M1 appear to be softer than with the M5 but I need to do more work on this, I still have the M5 so will do a direct comparison soon.

David
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (18th October 2013), jamsa (16th October 2013)
Old 16th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

I haven't used an E-M1 for about 3 weeks now (not by choice! ) but in the 2-3 weeks I had one I don't recall any lock-ups or IS problems...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
dh202 (21st February 2014)
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
I've just had an e-mail from Christopher at Olympus Support and he said that he thought the lock-up may be the result of a low battery + the use of short release lag-time, so I have updated thim and pointed them to this thread
Interesting! I've had several situations after the red battery warning comes on where on firing the shutter the EVF goes white and the shutter appears to open for a whole second, no image is recorded and any Mysets I had applied had been cancelled. This happened time after time but returned to normal after a battery change. No damage codes were recorded and I have often had this on my EM5. A bit disappointing as I am sure the batteries had many shots left in them before expiring, but if the camera is switched off for a while the problem disappears for twenty or so shots.

David
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
Oh No! So was looking forward to my EM1 but yet more woes....I wonder if other brands have similar problems ...but I don't recall many issues with the E1, E3 and E5.
Mirrorless and five way stabilisation might not be all that is cracked up to be... reading more on EM5 and EM1 lock ups...its the last thing you would want at rare events when you can repeat the experience!
I don't think that these are common problems, certainly searching the web doesn't show much except the odd few who run up against. I've certainly never had a problem with my EM-5 and that's been heavily used (50k shots in around 14 months)

I've only just come up against this problem in the last 2 days despite having worked the EM-1 very hard on Saturday for most of the day, using CAF as set in this thread (2k+ shots) and its not shown it in the previous 3k or so shots when working with SAF so something odd has happened

David - I've had the opposite experience, initially no problems whatever with IS, so much so that I was convinced that it was already slightly better than that on the EM-5

I think we need to be careful at this point to remember we are still in a "Data Gathering" phase. Its possible to cross things off the "Possible Causes" list as we find data that negate hypothesised effects (like the fact it occurs with Release lag-time Normal and Short, therefore it can't be using "Short that causes the problem) but we shouldn't really start guessing at what it may be (tempting as it is )

I am wondering if something is causing a large current drain so it would be helpful if people can remember what state their batteries were in when it occurred , was it early in a shoot or later? If later, roughly how many shots had the battery taken?
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I recall reading of a problem reported early on with the EM5 which was when the camera was switched on/off or back from sleep mode after the camera had been angled not at 90 or 180 degrees and there was a problem that made the stabilisation process have an issue.
There was also a limit on "time on" for video as it made the sensor hot and it would need to cool I recall someone saying it auto switched off or perhaps locked. With both of these their were not lots of reported issues and perhaps firmware helped resolve them.
whatever is happening I sincerely hope its identified openly confirmed and then resolved asap. Keep up the good work of reporting! Thank you all.
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Just a thought way back when the E1 came out there was a spate of people saying camera had locked up (when camera was still new) and it strangly seemed to be after the 3rd or 4th battery charge I had this and also witnessed it with a spare battery. It appears the battery was conditioning it self and seemed to loose power faster on the 3rd charge - funny old world
Dave
Old 16th October 2013

Thanks for the ion this

Dave - I can understand this if the battery is low (used to happen with some of my canon bodies too) but in each case with the battery was still showing full green bar and at least one of them is from my EM-5 and is well "conditioned".

I'm sure it will be resolved, sooner rather than later I hope
jamsa (16th October 2013)
Old 16th October 2013

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

I supose you've already tryed a reset to factory settings, just wondering if you have inadvertently set some conflict maybe as there are so many options?

Cliff
Old 17th October 2013

thanks Cliff, a good suggestion. Haven't done it yet as I had hoped it may be a "one off".

even if it is some conflict though I feel it is important for us and Olympus to find out what since, as working with the provided setting shown in the manual, with no warnings of potential conflict problem it shouldn't happen ie: its a likely a firmware or software glitch that would need resolving by an update
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
cliff (17th October 2013)
Old 17th October 2013
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For what it's worth (and I have no E-M1 experience myself) I'll echo dbutch's comment above about the E-1. Both my E-1 and E-3 have had similar lockups on occasion - in the latter case there seemed to be a connection between using both C-AF and IS (I have got into the habit of on or either - when I remember - and can't recall it happening since).

There are several mentions of these lockups in earlier threads (various bodies). It seems to be an Olympus "thing" - I suspect some obscure corner in the firmware.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Bowman For This Useful Post:
brian1208 (17th October 2013)
Old 17th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Interesting if not slightly worrying reading this thread. My EM-1 is still one of those awaiting delivery from the Oly shop so it is a little disturbing to read this.

However I mention the following which may not be related but it does sound markedly similar.

On my E3 I have experienced lockup when in CAF using a 14-50 mk1. It would occur when on low speed sequential shooting in shutter priority. The only way out was a power off/on cycle. On other lenses it was OK so I put it down to slower focusing and the camera not able to cope with the wait period in sequential shooting.

As I say probably not related but there does appear to be some similarities.

Hec
brian1208 (17th October 2013), Xenon (17th October 2013)
Old 17th October 2013

Dick and Hec, thanks for your input.

Dick, that does sound very like what we are seeing, if true then either Olympus need to resolve the firmware / software bug or put a clear warning in their manual.

I will try the suggestion to switch off IS when using CAF out (but suspect it may make life very difficult when using my 75-300 at full reach as the view in the EVF will be very unstable in my case )

I will also have a go with my 35-100 using the lens IS with IBIS off to see if that prevents further occurence
Old 17th October 2013

I've had the chance to do a bit more testing on the lack of sharpness / shake issue using one of my nearby focus targets (a fancy aerial on a neighbours roof) and now don't think it is in anyway linked to the lock-up, it was just coincidental timing.

Two factors seem to be at the root cause:

- I seem to have got a bit more shaky over the last few days (its an age thing )
- shooting in CAF mode with the "release on focus" option set to off means that I get more "just out of focus" shots, which can give the impression of movement blur

so now we just need to resolve what is causing the lock-ups (which is a relief in many ways)
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Grumpy Hec (17th October 2013)