Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: Batteries for OM-D EM-1

I have used after market batteries on both my E520 and E3 with no noticeable difference in performance in a variety of conditions and usage patterns.

Although I have already bought an Olympus batt from the cheaper Amazon source along with a travel charger, so that I have a battery ready to fire up my M1 when it arrives, I intend to get a pair of the Ex-Pro as well. As I envisage using the grip with my 43 lenses I figure I need two pairs of batteries on the go to provide worker/standby resilience.

In fact I think I'll order them now

Hec
Old 23rd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Indeed ... you may get rather a lot less, than you bargained for
as per those who bought cheap(er) mobile phone chargers which caught fire ... and some burned the home down (see WatchDog)
Chevvy, can you provide a link, please? I have done a search but failed to find a reference.

Besides, we were talking about batteries not chargers.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Chevvy, can you provide a link, please? I have done a search but failed to find a reference.

Here's a couple of reports I remember about cheap chargers but not batteries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342734/House-killed-3-children-caused-mobile-phone-charger.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2406185/Fake-Apple-Cheap-phone-chargers-burn-house.html

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 23rd October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks, but in the first case you quote it was only "thought" to be a charger, and a genuine Sony Ericsson at that. In the second, it doesn't mention fires, and even an expert says problems are microscopically rare. Besides which, it was the Daily Mail!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, but in the first case you quote it was only "thought" to be a charger, and a genuine Sony Ericsson at that. In the second, it doesn't mention fires, and even an expert says problems are microscopically rare. Besides which, it was the Daily Mail!
I'm certainly not confirming the truth or accuracy of anything printed in the press especially the one you mention where the reports are published
I use aftermarket batteries and chargers myself albeit with care.
With regard to the BLN-1 I've bought for my E-M1 when it arrives, it's a genuine Olympus one from Amazon.
I wouldn't risk an aftermarket battery in an expensive piece of equipment.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 23rd October 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:

Many chargers catch fire - they are charging batteries, whether in the phone or out the phone ... Trading Standards are fighting massive imports to the UK of containers full of "cheap chargers" for phones; cameras; ipad; Samsung tablets ; cameras or whatever

Many are "Universal Chargers"

Here is an iPad catching fire on charge ... you shall have to google yourself as I do not have the time on my hands for this, today - you may find it ref to Trading Standards or on BBC website for the prog and play again

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Just noticed that there is now a new version of the BLN-1 battery from Ex-Pro which has been uprated to 7.6v
Chris, all variants of BLN-1 whether genuine or ExPro are 7.6V. There appears to be no difference in specs with the white version other than the colour.

I have two of the "chipped" grey version http://www.exprodirect.com/product.p...7&cat=0&page=1

It appears there is a tradition for all camera manufacturers to charge a premium (like a 500% premium!) for their accessories, batteries, chargers, cables, cases etc. And good luck to them as the choice is out there for us cheapskates.

Simon
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

Here is an iPad catching fire on charge ...
Nope, that is a genuine Apple G4 charger that has a broken cable - broken by the use that the user has subjected it to over a couple of years - and the guy has powered it up and is deliberately shorting out the positive and negative cables by wiggling it around. If you have a device with frayed cabling then you should not plug it in.
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

As an electronics engineer, I can confirm that a charger may cause a problem, but rarely the battery.

The problem is often caused by using a charger that does not have a high enough capacity to 'drive' the battery. So for example a power supply rated at 1000mA trying to charge a 1200mA battery. The power supply will, for want of a better description 'try too hard'. You can always tell if this is the case as the power supply will get very hot, sometimes too hot to touch! This problem happens with even respected manufacturers. Dell and Apple had problems with power supplies over the years and had to replace them.

Another problem is the design of the circuit board. I have seen a high profile manufacturer of lightning and surge protection multi sockets design the earth leak strip on it's circuit board to be so close to the mains supply strip that a surge would cross over and cause a fire! As a supplier of high end lightning and surge protection equipment this was something we looked into and was somewhat shocked so we reported them. Remember this is a product you would buy from your high street retailer expecting it to protect you, your family and your kit. Thankfully that has all been sorted now so I don't need to name the company

There are some types of battery that should not be left on charge. Typically those used for radio controlled planes can burst into flames and there is a warning not to leave them on charge.

As to the batteries mentioned on here, the best solution and a route I have gone down is the ExPro ones that charge in the standard Olympus charger. It is not cast iron, but incredibly unlikely that you will experience any problems.

But as said above, I would not recommend leaving a battery on charge whilst unattended ever! So unplug the charger before you go to bed, making sure you have removed the battery of course. Some chargers will discharge a battery when in a charger which is not plugged into the mains.

Best regards

Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G2EWS For This Useful Post:
Grumpy Hec (23rd October 2013), Olybirder (23rd October 2013), StephenL (23rd October 2013)
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2EWS View Post
The problem is often caused by using a charger that does not have a high enough capacity to 'drive' the battery. So for example a power supply rated at 1000mA trying to charge a 1200mA battery.
That's sort of correct but in this context you might promote info that will scare people. What is written on a battery is expressed as mAh, this is an expression of capacity. It can and often does exceed the current capability of a charger which is rated at maximum mA, the ability to supply current. The difference is the "h" for hours.

For example the Olympus charger BCN-1 output is rated at 600mA whereas the BLN-1 is rated at 1220mAh. This is perfectly OK as the spec is referring to different things.

Simon
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonknee View Post
That's sort of correct but in this context you might promote info that will scare people. What is written on a battery is expressed as mAh, this is an expression of capacity. It can and often does exceed the current capability of a charger which is rated at maximum mA, the ability to supply current. The difference is the "h" for hours.

For example the Olympus charger BCN-1 output is rated at 600mA whereas the BLN-1 is rated at 1220mAh. This is perfectly OK as the spec is referring to different things.

Simon
Hi Simon,

I meant to write, be careful about these rated figures, but it is a good guideline. My apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards

Chris
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Chris, all variants of BLN-1 whether genuine or ExPro are 7.6V. There appears to be no difference in specs with the white version other than the colour.

Simon
Not so, I'm afraid. I have 3 'ordinary' Expro batteries which are 7.2v. The Expro batteries look identical to the Bestdeal ones, which are cheaper. I took this up with Expro who swear their battereis are made exclusively for them.

As well as voltage there's a significant variation in mAH between some of the clone batteries.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
The Following User Liked This Post:
catkins (23rd October 2013)
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Not so, I'm afraid. I have 3 'ordinary' Expro batteries which are 7.2v. The Expro batteries look identical to the Bestdeal ones, which are cheaper. I took this up with Expro who swear their battereis are made exclusively for them.

As well as voltage there's a significant variation in mAH between some of the clone batteries.
Oh that's not good. Can't really call them "clone" batteries unless they have the same voltage rating. Different mAh just says how long they will last for. At least a low voltage should not damage your camera but if they were sold as BLN-1 clones then these should go back to ExPro as not suitable for purpose.
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2EWS View Post
Hi Simon,

I meant to write, be careful about these rated figures, but it is a good guideline. My apologies and thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards

Chris
In fact it is an essential guideline for power supplies. By power supplies I mean everything that plugs in a mains outlet that provides the correct voltage to power your device - laptops, iThings, screens etc.

People should always look at the max output written (very, very small) on the power supply and check it exceeds the max requirement (even smaller or in the manual) of the piece of kit you want to power.

Personally I will pay a premium for items that put the power supply inside. This way you know that the supply is rated to power the kit in question and you have one less ugly wall wart or lump on the floor.

Simon
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
a low voltage should not damage your camera.
To clarify my own comment. I would not use anything but the correct voltage batteries in any equipment. Especially those that use manufacturer specific batteries like cameras.

Oh bugger I have to clarify that too.

The standard AA (or AAA or C or D) single cell non-rechargeable battery is 1.5V but all rechargeable batteries of this size are 1.2V. In 99.9% of circumstances this does not matter. However my wireless radiator valve controllers (Conrad FS20 system if you care) does not like 1.2V AA and intermittently loses communication. I have to use Alkaline batteries with the full 1.5V. Luckily they last a full year in this low power application.

Simon