Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 5th October 2013

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Very Disappointed In Olympus

I ordered from the Oly Shop, but not till 3 October, so I don't expect to get mine for a while. I went through them as I was late ordering, and it removes the need to post the form to Germany for the goodies. They charged my card the next day. I had major grief getting Lloyds to unblock my card, mainly I suspect as the shop is based in Belgium. It is not run by Oly UK, but Supplies Distributors SA, so it may not be subject to the UK distance selling regulations, I'm not sure. Certainly the site feedback and functionality is poor.

Mark Thackara stated in another thread that the Oly Shop is treated like another dealer as far as stock allocation goes, which is fair in some ways, except of course, it is serving the whole of Europe. One would hope they take this into account, but it is good to see them supporting dealers.

Bruce
Old 6th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
Mark Thackara stated in another thread that the Oly Shop is treated like another dealer as far as stock allocation goes, which is fair in some ways, except of course, it is serving the whole of Europe. One would hope they take this into account, but it is good to see them supporting dealers.

Bruce
Which emphasizes the point i have made previously that when the camera was shipped to dealers it should have been shipped to pre-orders at the same time.

I'm really pleased that dealers are being looked after but if Mark Thackara states the the Olympus shop is another dealer as far as Olympus is concerned why the different timescales?

Hec
Chevvyf1 (6th October 2013), G2EWS (6th October 2013), Xenon (6th October 2013)
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

Also Olympus told SRS to cease their web special offers as it was UNFAIR to other suppliers ... WOT thats called a USP in marketing & Sales Unique Selling Point (used to gain a lions share of sales) after all Olympus got a massive order for the delicious rucksacks and extra batteries ... then said "you cannot give them away"
I wondered what had happened to the offer from SRS. I ordered when it was on their website but as it disappeared almost immediately I was beginning to think I had imagined it. Fortunately the rucsac and battery arrived with the camera. Not sure how much I need the rucsac but the battery is a useful gift. When I ordered the E-M5 I did so from SRS but the free grip came from Olympus UK, despite doing everything right and one of the first to order I still didn't get the grip for a couple of months, so I'm not expecting miracles this time round!

David
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

Although I have registered for the mmf3 and the grip, where is it best to order from, in the light of the above posts, Olympus direct or a dealer??

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 6th October 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Although I have registered for the mmf3 and the grip, where is it best to order from, in the light of the above posts, Olympus direct or a dealer??
I was at Pottery when my One arrived, but Nick took out the order, photocopied it and put it in the envelope I left (addressed and stamped fully) to Germany ... and posted it, for the 4pm collection !

So I shall let you know when the ONE GOODIES arrive
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Seems like various LCE have been getting stock spare more than any other dealer, so I would contact your nearest branch.

Best regards

Chris
Old 6th October 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Which emphasizes the point i have made previously that when the camera was shipped to dealers it should have been shipped to pre-orders at the same time.

I'm really pleased that dealers are being looked after but if Mark Thackara states the the Olympus shop is another dealer as far as Olympus is concerned why the different timescales?

Hec

I have no idea how many cameras SRS or Park received from Oly and others on the day of delivery (maybe there is one "camera distribution warehouse???" Logistics work well today Because I got 3 emails of pre orders within hours on the SAMEDAY. I accepted one from SRS and one from PARK (for Nick) and offered ONE on the Forum and a member took that one.

SRS arrived on Friday 3.pm and Park 6pm Friday ! (lucky as thats gone in the loft for Christmas )

BUT I did hear from Devon @ SRS that "we have been unpacking stock and packing and boxing orders and labelling for days ... to get them out ASAP"

Just maybe, as Olympus UK do not have the staff to send COMMUNCIATIONS, they did/do not have the staff to manage distribution ???

ps Olympus UK must use an Agency to take orders in and, take cash form Credit Cards ! who were not available for Order Dispatch

Hec, there must be some GREAT compensation on the way for the frustration Oly UK Customers - for OLY Direct to look good and get anymore orders
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Xenon (6th October 2013)
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 102 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2EWS View Post
Feeling very disappointed with Olympus.

When the E-M1 was launched and as soon as it was available on the web shop I bought it. This was without seeing or handling it. I totally trusted Olympus that this would be a good improvement over the E-M5. Those of us who pre ordered via the Olympus web site where told we would be the first to get them and within the first week of October.

So why have the dealers received their shipments and people who have only just ordered them already got their cameras and those of us who 'trusted' Olympus don't have ours?

The additional insult of not even receiving an email of when it will arrive, nor via which courier or having a tracking number seems very poor service in my book. I go onto 'my account' on the Olympus site and all it says is I have ordered the camera. No update or additional information.

As to the customer service this seems incredibly poorly run. I received an email with my code to get the free battery grip after I placed my order. So I sent an email on the 11th Sept using the Olympus web site asking what I should do. To date no one has bothered to contact me! A telephone call a couple of days ago confirmed that they have no record of that email. So why have a web based emailing system if it doesn't work?

The final insult! I have just heard that LCE in Southampton have them in stock and someone has just walked off the street and bought one. No pre-ordering, just picked it up there and then!

So where does loyalty get you with Olympus? I'm afraid absolutely nowhere.

With such a great range of cameras all you need do now is treat your customers like you really do care for them.
I have to say that I would also be outraged if this happened to me. My more experienced friends have tolm me thas the Olympus helpline etc is and has always been poor. In saying that I hope you don't change your loyalty from Olympus because of this. By all accounts you are soon to be the proud owner of an absolutly super camera that I myself can only dream of. It will be worth the wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to banjukes For This Useful Post:
G2EWS (6th October 2013)
Old 6th October 2013

Hi Banjukes,

Having spent £40k on Nikon gear a few years ago, this has and still is a big move for me. I won't be changing my mind in a hurry, but will most certainly be taking the problem up with Olympus who really need to get their act together if they want the loyalty that the main rivals have achieved.

Best regards

Chris
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 102 Times in 85 Posts

I agree 100%. This whole release has been a disaster from and for Olympus. Not a good plan to ruffle peoples feathers considering their investments over the years and into the future. As you say other top brands are streets ahead on the customer service side of things. I can see it definately takes the good out of it all for you. Good luck with the new camera when itdoes come and I hope Olympus find some way to make ammends for all dissapointed customers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banjukes For This Useful Post:
G2EWS (6th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (6th October 2013)
Old 6th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Plenty of lessons to be learned and issues to address for sure, but I'd rather see the supply chain creaking and buckling under the weight of unprecidented demand than Olympus have a warehouse full of unwanted products.

I do sympathize with all who are experiencing the uncertainty, frustration and annoyance of the current situation, but take comfort in the thought that you will be getting yours long before I get mine! I'm sure that, in retrospect, the wait will be worth it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Ian (8th October 2013)
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
No idea Dave. I thought the Oly shop, as you don't then need to post the form to Germany, but if the dealers are getting stock and not the shop for now, posting the invoice to Germany will probably be quicker! It's all a bit of a mess, and the threat of limited goodies was a mistake. If some don't get them having registered in time, there will be justifiable anger.

Oly UK are only peripherally involved with the Oly shop orders, as the order is with Oly Europe, and I assume will be shipped from there, not the UK.

Bruce
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

Has anyone received a body only, as opposed to the 12-50 kit? The only ones that appear to be in stock are the 12-50s.
Old 6th October 2013

Hi George,

Lots of people have picked up bodies in the UK from dealers, but none so far appear to have arrived by post if ordered off the Olympus web site.

Regards

Chris
Old 6th October 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When I collected mine there was one body - l and several kits ( 4 or 5) think there were a lot less preorders for 12-50 kits