Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th September 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: C-AF on M4/3 lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
But they are panned shots of a large and not very fast moving subject (moped in heavy traffic) so the predictive af is not really being tested.

I still have not seen anyone testing it's capabilities for fast moving action and bif, I still have reservations on its capability there, although not being subjects I shoot very often it would not bother me .
I agree because the E-M5 could do that easily:

I will be giving my E-M1 a thorough testing for BIF on M4/3 75-300mm lens when I receive it, but although I have high hopes I would not be surprised if I still have the 7D 12 months from now.

David
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
I would not be surprised if I still have the 7D 12 months from now.
if weight isn't a problem and BIF shooting is important to you I would suggest that is the right answer for you

in my case, weight became a problem so that was more important than my love of shooting BIF (the best camera system is the one that is always with you )

Its a win : win situation really with all the options available to photographers these days
Old 17th September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post

I will be giving my E-M1 a thorough testing for BIF on M4/3 75-300mm lens when I receive it, but although I have high hopes I would not be surprised if I still have the 7D 12 months from now.

David
Honestly, I hope you sell the 7D
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Have a look at David's pbase gallery and you'll see several reasons why I don't think he will.
Old 17th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

David photographs very distant birds which are very small in the frame and much of the time it's for identification purposes only.

For photographing birds that are closer and larger (I'm thinking red kites!) I think an E-M1 with the 75-300 would work well.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th September 2013

Quote:
Honestly so do I!
Old 17th September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
David photographs very distant birds which are very small in the frame and much of the time it's for identification purposes only.

For photographing birds that are closer and larger (I'm thinking red kites!) I think an E-M1 with the 75-300 would work well.

Ian
An example of a long distance shot is this Hobby, taken hand held with the M4/3 75-300mm on the E-M1 during the Rutland session. Taken from around 300 metres it does demonstrate that the camera can acquire a very small subject at distance. 100% crop, sorry about the quality - I may have done better with a RAW file. This bird would have been impossible to ID with binoculars and with a 'scope I would have needed a tripod.

David
Ian (17th September 2013)
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

The problem with BIF is their somewhat unpredictable flying pattern. I would suggest that a better test of the E-M1 CAF would be to take sequential shots of bike racing. They move fast on a predicable racing line (mostly).

Here's two sequences I took with the E5 last July.
50-200mmswd lens
This was from a sequence of 3 frames FL101mm 1/400s f5.6 ISO100

They were coming towards me in excess of 100mph.

The second sequence was from a burst of 9 frames (two are missing as I probably deleted them because a post was in the frame)

FL200mm 1/400s f5.6 ISO100

This second sequence is more challenging because of the focus distractions.

I would really like the E-M1 to improve on this as the first missed focus a bit that may have been me with camera shake as I brought the camera up to take the shots. I have to say that even though I used H sequential rate I not think I get 5fs.

Ian do think that this is possible with the E-M1?

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 17th September 2013

[QUOTE=birdboy;250686]The problem with BIF is their somewhat unpredictable flying pattern. I would suggest that a better test of the E-M1 CAF would be to take sequential shots of bike racing. They move fast on a predicable racing line (mostly).[QUOTE]

I agree about the BIFs but to a certain extent this is where the experience of the photographer comes in. The key factor for any CAF with whatever camera is the initial acquisition, as tracking has a hard time trying to follow without this. Some cameras like the 7D etc. acquire amazingly fast so therefore tracking is more reliable.

David
bilbo (17th September 2013)
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I agree about the BIFs but to a certain extent this is where the experience of the photographer comes in. The key factor for any CAF with whatever camera is the initial acquisition, as tracking has a hard time trying to follow without this. Some cameras like the 7D etc. acquire amazingly fast so therefore tracking is more reliable.

David
Agree totally. My suggestion for a fast moving high contrast subject (racing motor cycles) was to take away the experience factor. Its the camera we want to test not the person behind it.

The BSB bike event this weekend at Brands Hatch would be a really good test of the new camera if you have one. Wildlife is always unpredictable and they seem to be particularly OM-D E-M1 shy.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 17th September 2013

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
take away the experience factor. Its the camera we want to test not the person behind it.
interesting, that's a point I hadn't even considered - must be very difficult to do.

From my experience of lab work we would need something like 25 randomly selected operators to remove the effect of operator experience and lord knows how many comparison tests between examples of the same systems to remove within system variability - only then could we make comparisons on differences in performance between "A" and "B"

Glad I just have to satisfy myself that something works or not
Old 18th September 2013

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
interesting, that's a point I hadn't even considered - must be very difficult to do.

From my experience of lab work we would need something like 25 randomly selected operators to remove the effect of operator experience and lord knows how many comparison tests between examples of the same systems to remove within system variability - only then could we make comparisons on differences in performance between "A" and "B"

I will generously offer to be one of your 25 testers if you give me the camera

John
Old 18th September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post

Frankly, if Olympus are launching this into the Bird in Flight market and its *rap they are making a much MUCH BIGGER mistake than getting 25 interested in Bif users to try it out

AND they shall be getting lots of returns Because there is NO WAY I am shelling out for this OM-D EM-1 and Keeping it and the lenses IF IT DOES NOT DO THE JOB.

I am now quite worried ... There is NO WAY Bif can be compared to Motorbikes or Cars at 11 years of age I was Pits/Trackside most weekends taking great images of Stirling & Pat Moss ; Tony Brooks or at various Rallye with Eric Carlsson ; Pat Moss/Carlsson ; Sandro Munari etc., with a simple Kodak Instamatic and then OM- 2 - still have many of the books and articles with my photos in

I shall write the return label now

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Xenon (18th September 2013)
Old 18th September 2013

Actually, I do wonder how the Dealers will feel about this ! The potential mass of returns

Lucky on-line sales qualify for Sales of Goods (Distance Selling) and we get the statutory 14 days approval

the ONE photo album
Old 18th September 2013

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Actually, I do wonder how the Dealers will feel about this ! The potential mass of returns

Lucky on-line sales qualify for Sales of Goods (Distance Selling) and we get the statutory 14 days approval
The likely truth is that the number interested in the E-M1 just for BIF is probably limited, so although Olympus reckon there will inevitably be some returns, they presumably factor in this will be a manageable number, with many deciding to keep for overall satisfaction reasons.

For me, and you, Chevvy, the abilities in C-AF are probably deal breakers, if the results aren't great, but I don't relish the prospect of heaving a 7D around, even though it is excellent with BIF and fast action!

I'm glad Olympus give 14 days to return, although I believe the standard for distance selling is only 7 days? I may be wrong though?
The Following User Says Thank You to Xenon For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th September 2013)