Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th August 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Smile Larking about and a punctuation mark.

On my recent foray into the Brecklands of Suffolk I came across the River Lark as it flows past Cavenham Heath.
The Lark is not a grand river, only 31 miles from its source near the delightfully named village of Bradfield Combust south of Bury St. Edmunds to its confluence with the River Great Ouse near Littleport in the Cambridgeshire Fens. It is however very picturesque and provides a lush green corridor as it meanders through the sandy, flint stewn Brecklands.

Here's a view looking upstream towards Bury.

There's a weir which is part of a "Gauge Station" used to monitor the flow of the river.

The view downstream towards Mildenhall. Lovely summer cumulus clouds each sitting on top of a thermal and much loved by soaring Buzzards and Glider Pilots.

I found a herd of Goats enjoying the shade of the riverside trees.

The water is crystal clear and you can see from the submerged reeds that it is quite fast flowing at this point. Nice reflection here too.

A bridge used to carry a lane across the river here but it became unsafe and was demolished, you can still see one of the piers. Unfortunately the bridge also carried a water main which has had to be left in place.

That's better. Mum and the kids enjoying a paddle. (Dad was walking the dog on dry land.) Idyllic, reminds me of my distant childhood.

Looking away from the river you see the typical Breckland landscape of the Heath. Reminds me of the African Veldt.

If you've got this far you may be wondering about the "punctuation mark" in the title.
Well, the bushes and trees beside the river here are great for all sorts of Butterflies. I found this lovely Comma.

Thanks for looking.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Wee man (29th August 2013)
Old 28th August 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: Larking about and a punctuation mark.

Walked that route many times, Peter, very tranquil and that clear water is wonderful.
PeterBirder (28th August 2013)
Old 28th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Walked that route many times, Peter, very tranquil and that clear water is wonderful.
I've been a few times but never before in such hot weather. I'm always struck by the contrast between the barren heath and the lush riverside.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 29th August 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

A wonderful set with a great finalè! Love the shot of the family playing in the river.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
A wonderful set with a great finalè! Love the shot of the family playing in the river.
Thanks John.
It's a fascinating place. The car access is good (although what used to be the road is now a rough track) so Sandra can sit in the car and still view the birds.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 30th August 2013

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

A picturesque river indeed. I like the one of "Mum and the Kids having a paddle" and clearly enjoying it. That is what the countrside is all about.
Old 30th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
A picturesque river indeed. I like the one of "Mum and the Kids having a paddle" and clearly enjoying it. That is what the countrside is all about.
Many thanks.

Indeed, I was delighted to see this "old fashioned" scene. Unlike most "modern" children's pastimes no special equipment, power, clothing or club membership is needed, just enjoyment of what nature provides free of charge.

Actually I did notice that "mum" was taking pictures with her mobile phone camera.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 30th August 2013

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Nice to see the Old River and Cavenham Heath. Haven't been there since the 1970's when the bridge was still in place, though the lane even then was mostly a track.

Interesting to think that the Lark was once navigable upto the Abbots Bridge in Bury St Edmunds.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 30th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Nice to see the Old River and Cavenham Heath. Haven't been there since the 1970's when the bridge was still in place, though the lane even then was mostly a track.

Interesting to think that the Lark was once navigable upto the Abbots Bridge in Bury St Edmunds.

Nick
Well to be honest the "track" across the heath from the wood at the Tuddenham end is now more like a tank training course and needs considerable care in a "normal" car.

The first ten miles of the river from the Great Ouse to Jude's Ferry is still navigable. The navigation beyond that point seems to have had a chequered history since the 1600's.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.