Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 22nd October 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Firmware updating Panny lenses on an Olly body and

I have an OM-D body and lenses, but also have a couple of m4/3rds Panny lenses. If I wanted to update the firmware in the Panny lenses, can this be done via the OM-D Olly body? Just wondering if within the m4/3rds standards there are 'rules' or whatever relating to manufacturers having to produce firmware that is compatible between the different manufacturer's products?
Old 22nd October 2012

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Firmware updating Panny lenses on an Olly body and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
I have an OM-D body and lenses, but also have a couple of m4/3rds Panny lenses. If I wanted to update the firmware in the Panny lenses, can this be done via the OM-D Olly body? Just wondering if within the m4/3rds standards there are 'rules' or whatever relating to manufacturers having to produce firmware that is compatible between the different manufacturer's products?
Yes you can update Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body. You can find details on how to do it here:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...meraupdate.cfm

it contains a link for downloading the software which does the task (Olympus Digital Camera Updater).
Wee man (22nd October 2012)
Old 22nd October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Usually you can update Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body.

But the latest Panasonic 100-300 update FAILED for me with the lens on my OM-D E-M5.
It worked through the Panasonic update service on the GH-1.
It is the first update I've had that failed.
But once I sell my GH-1 I don't want to be stuck unable to update my Panasonic lenses.

I have done all past updates on my E-P1 with no issues, so I hope that latest failed update is a one-off problem. Coinciding with Olympus pulling the 1.2 update it may well be a software issue which is now fixed.
Old 22nd October 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 22nd October 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

The Four Thirds Organisation which is the body which maintains the standard (effectively Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma) has its own very useful website which answers most questions which arise.
They have a Joint Update Service http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/download.html
which enables you to update lens firmware regardless of which 4/3 or micro 4/3 camera it is attached to.The site is well worth bookmarking as it gives details of all 4/3 products and one feature I find very useful is the Matching Simulation which will show you what any combination of camera/lens looks like.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.