Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 23rd September 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The 'floating' AF point ...

I want to be able to 'Lock' the AF point permanently on the centre of the screen, so it doesn't 'float' around. Clever/useful as the feature of being able to move this point around is, I'd much prefer it to always stay where I want it to be. I know I can assign one of the buttons so that it relocates the AF to the centre point, but that is a waste of a button, which could be used on something more useful. maybe I'm just a 'traditionalist' stuck in my ways, preferring the 'old-fashioned' way of selectively focussing, but that's how I work, and this 'old dog' doesn't want to learn new tricks, plus the 'Devil I know, suits me better than the devil I don't understand'!! To give you lot some idea as to how stuck in my ways I happen to be, even with this camera, I've been known to use my old Weston Master V, because it provides Incident meter readings! I just wish someone would bring out a wireless incident meter head, that transmits the readings directly into the camera!
Old 23rd September 2012

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts
Re: The 'floating' AF point ...

I wish I could find that setting too, its one of the few real grumps I have with this camera
Old 23rd September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Mine stays in one place unless I tell it otherwise. I have touch-screen off and the UP and RIGHT buttons assigned to specific functions, not movement. To move a point I first have to touch LEFT or DOWN button. Once I have moved a point, I can restore it to the middle by pressing and holding the CENTRE button while the green focus-point indicator is viewable.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd September 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Not sure about this facility but since I disabled the touch screen (Oh I do hate them, absolutley no use to me whatsoever!) my focus point stays put. If I need to move it (that's never so far) I just OK the AF icon on the SCP and use the front and rear wheels to position the spot.

David