Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 6th July 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Annoying +/-Flash compensation issue

I have been finding that when I using the +/- exposure function dial on my OM-D, it was applying this to the +/-Flash bar, NOT the ordinary +/- exposure bar. (The levels when shown on the Top of exposure compensation bar, are for Flash, if Underneath, they are for daylight compensation. If your camera is applying Flash instead of daylight compensation, you do NOT see the screen lighten or darken.

I think I have solved this by going through the menus to the [Detailed camera functions] > [*F] > and then setting the [+/- and +/-Flash] option to OFF. So far, this seems to now be functioning properly. It's a pity Olly didn't also include a another option, to specifically 'Disable flash exposure compensation', or make more clear in the manual how the [*F] switch operates.

Another tip ... Print out the [Camera setup] pages, (85>97) and on these, 'mark' what settings/options you have used, so that if you have to do a reset, you have all the changes you have made listed, making restructuring your preferred settings a lot faster!
The Following User Says Thank You to Footloose1949 For This Useful Post:
StephenL (6th July 2012)
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Annoying +/-Flash compensation issue

It may well be that I have 'missed' an option buried somewhere else relating to the +/-Flash compensation function, which also does what I want. If so, can someone enlighten us?
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts

Personally I have the rear dial for exposure compensation and the front to Shutter/Aperture in the relevant mode. There is no reason why you couldn't reverse this according to your preference.

From the Menu Cog "B" ; Button/Dial ; Dial Function.

Make sure you have set the rear dial to the correct function as the two icons do look similar

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 6th July 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post

Make sure you have set the rear dial to the correct function as the two icons do look similar
Yes that one caught me out. I changed the front/rear dial functions around and wondered why I suddenly got flash compensation instead of exposure compensation. The two icons look identical to me unless I really squint at them.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.