Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 31st May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Model shoot on Brighton Beach bandstand

I think the problem for me was that I didn't post me shots in new threads and not everyone was inclined to look at the Event thread. I have seen a forum add-on to 'Like' a post that I may experiment - I have had a go at installing a Facebook 'Like' button but it's still not working quite right.

The e-group stats are looking very healthy - both the number of daily visitors and posts is up on this time last year. Soon we will be welcoming our 2,500th member.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (31st May 2012)
Old 31st May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Here's a slightly tighter crop and a sort of high key vignette around Sadie:

What do you think?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 31st May 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Here's a slightly tighter crop and a sort of high key vignette around Sadie:

What do you think?

Ian
This works. It gives the bandstand a supporting role as a location for Sadie, rather than competing with her to be the main subject. Nice bit of processing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st May 2012

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I like it now but if, as an inexperienced and unqualified judge of other peoples photographs (I have major problems with my own), and if I were nit-picking, I would prefer if the detail of the canopy to the left of the large column were to be toned down a little as it appears too sharp.

There, I believe that to be my first bit of criticism of a photo for almost three years.................and I have to pick on Sir!

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 31st May 2012

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts

I agree with John, this tighter crop works better than the original, the emphasis is now on the model but the ornate detail of the bandstand has also come to the fore.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 31st May 2012

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi Ian looking from the artist in me, and IMO the model is a very attractive lady.
The bandstand looks a very interesting architural structure and I can see what you are trying to do, I would have moved round to put the young lady to the right as she is looking to the left so putting the bandstand to the left and showing more of the bandstand, so that she is looking into the bandstand to direct the viewer into the bandstand. Rather than looking out of the picture making the viewer look away and out of the picture.

From the Tonal aspect of the image I think that it is about right for the this sort of shot.

Dave
I had felt that too, but hadn't mentioned it. It's as if there is something more interesting going on that we don't get to see. I prefer to see the model to be looking into the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Most people love looking at pictures, and may not want to reply or comment. I don't think there's a specific reason people don't post comments or reply... it's a combination of timing issues, people having time to comment etc and nothing to do with your images.
That is true for me. I will browse & go to make a comment, start & then abandon as I don't feel I have the right words to offer or I am not in the right mood to make a satisfactory comment or should just be getting on with work (has to be done to get money to buy more camera stuff as well as) to live.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st May 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That is true for me. I will browse & go to make a comment, start & then abandon as I don't feel I have the right words to offer or I am not in the right mood to make a satisfactory comment or should just be getting on with work (has to be done to get money to buy more camera stuff as well as) to live.
+1 for me too. Ross has summed it up very nicely
Ross the fiddler (31st May 2012)
Old 31st May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
This works. It gives the bandstand a supporting role as a location for Sadie, rather than competing with her to be the main subject. Nice bit of processing.
Yes, it does look better.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 1st June 2012
Floribunda

Like Bob, I am a little hesitant to venture into LFP with commenting, but the thought occurred to me - do females look at photos differently to the male viewers? A topic for discussion there perhaps?
And so my first thought was - the model's top just doesn't work for me. The fussiness clashes with the ornateness of the bandstand.
She is lovely, the bandstand is lovely, but the whole I find has too many distractions. The chairs add nothing and the pole behind the model grates a little because of the angle.
I would be interested to know what the other ladies on the forum think?
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I feel nowhere near qualified enough to make comments in the Perfection threads, so I just look, admire, and read ther experts' opinions, many of which go straight over my head.

I found myself focusing my attention on the model's face, obliterating the rest of the picvture from my attention. I wonder why that is? MNaybe it's as Janet says, that the other elemets distract and fight against each other so my brain filters them out.

I don't quite get the story with this. The top makes it look dated to the late Sixties/early Seventies. Is she waiting for someone? Has she been stood up?
Old 1st June 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post
I feel nowhere near qualified enough to make comments in the Perfection threads, so I just look, admire, and read ther experts' opinions, many of which go straight over my head.

I found myself focusing my attention on the model's face, obliterating the rest of the picvture from my attention. I wonder why that is? MNaybe it's as Janet says, that the other elemets distract and fight against each other so my brain filters them out.

I don't quite get the story with this. The top makes it look dated to the late Sixties/early Seventies. Is she waiting for someone? Has she been stood up?
Don't forget - the LFP is 'looking for' perfection and not where people post what they feel are perfect images!! This is the place where photographers post in the hope that members DO actually post as much feedback as they can. It doesn't matter what ones ability is, or where you feel you fit in the schema, if you have an opinion on a photograph in LFP - please do feel free to voice that opinion.

I believe it is a common misconception; LFP isn't where members who don't think they are qualified to post, don't post - it is where photographers who don't want constructive criticism, shouldn't post! Work that one out

Old 1st June 2012

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Don't forget - the LFP is 'looking for' perfection and not where people post what they feel are perfect images!! This is the place where photographers post in the hope that members DO actually post as much feedback as they can. It doesn't matter what ones ability is, or where you feel you fit in the schema, if you have an opinion on a photograph in LFP - please do feel free to voice that opinion.

I believe it is a common misconception; LFP isn't where members who don't think they are qualified to post, don't post - it is where photographers who don't want constructive criticism, shouldn't post! Work that one out
Isn't the idea of perfection subjective and what might be a perfect image to one person, not be so to others. A prize-winning photograph chosen by a panel of judges perhaps would not have won if seen by a different jury. Who's to say what is perfect. Does "perfection" really exist?

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 1st June 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Isn't the idea of perfection subjective and what might be a perfect image to one person, not be so to others. A prize-winning photograph chosen by a panel of judges perhaps would not have won if seen by a different jury. Who's to say what is perfect. Does "perfection" really exist?
Absolutely it is Bob, and is why everyone is entitled to comment on images posted in LFP. The more feedback the photographer gets, the more he/she can take on board.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
BobS (1st June 2012)
Old 1st June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGruchy View Post

Hh-hmm , that would be Lyn.
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Indeed it is subjective Bob and you are perfectly correct.

The thing is to get anything out of a critique you have to be a little thick skinned and take the things you agree with from it, and discard the suggestions you do not agree with without being offended, this is how you improve at the end of the day.

Sometimes after a suggestion I will think now why did I not see or think of that and incorporate it, other times I will not agree and discard it and give a polite thank you for your suggestion.

No need to get offended has it is all subjective at the end of the day.

I'll not comment on Ian's image has I have commented on most of them at DPN.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/