Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 20th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
photo printing

Sorry for the dullard question and not really confident of an easy answer but here goes. Does anyone know of a simple package for cropping and printing photos at home. Not as straightforward as it seems. I edit and fix photos in GIMP. My wife then wants to have a shabby chic wall of photos in different frames with different sizes and orientations. She is also fussy that the photo colours match the room. Frames not always standard sizes due to shabby chicness needs overruling standard frame formats! Its always the wife that complicates it. Upshot is I will often crop then resize the area of the photo so it has a better colour match and custom fits the frame. I will normally be looking to print out on A4 so I have the wings for the picture frame mount. I often find a mismatch between expected and actual picture shape and size. Currently my most reliable method is to edit the picture as closely as possible in GIMP then copy the image into Powerpoint where I have mocked up a number of pseudo masks that I have prepared by printing simple draft B&W patterns to fit various frames. I have latest GIMP, old paintshop pro (10), HP Imagezone (printer software), lightroom 3, Olympus Master 2, Picasa but none quite do what I need hence the Powerpoint cludge. Answer may be a masterclass in GIMP layers and masks. GIMP is great freeware, very fully featured but not terribly user friendly. Warning, being a prude I researched this by googling 'GIMP Mask' You live and learn!
Old 20th April 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: photo printing

Not sure I really understand - but, in The GIMP

Scale image to size using Image:Scale - you can work in inches/mm if you like.

Open a new file at whatever size you want including blank surround, File:New
(you could have prepared blank files if you really want)

Go back to your first image Select:All and then Edit:Copy, go to your new file and Edit:Paste. This will create a floating layer on the new file, you can move it about if you want using the tool from toolbox. Then Layer:Anchor to fix it in place.

Masks and Layers are really for other things.

Hope this answers your question

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st April 2012

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spn0923 View Post
Sorry for the dullard question and not really confident of an easy answer but here goes. ....
I have latest GIMP, old paintshop pro (10), HP Imagezone (printer software), lightroom 3, Olympus Master 2, Picasa but none quite do what I need hence the Powerpoint cludge. ...
Since you say that you have Lightroom 3 I'm puzzled why you don't just use this s/w to do all your cropping and printing. I'ts really simple to:-
  1. crop the part of the image you wish to use in the LR Develop module, and subsequently..
  2. use the Layout Panel controls to adjust the printed area on the selected printed page size in the LR Print module. You'll have a WYSIWYG view of the printed result - before you waste any paper or ink. You'll also be able to save your particular page layouts as a "User templates".
HTH
Old 21st April 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

One of the most simple to use and FREE programs is FastStone

http://www.faststone.org

The Re-Size feature is very easy to use.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...