Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 19th May 2011

Liked 1,305 Times in 346 Posts
Nikon Lens to 4/3 body adapter?

Hi,

Do you know if there exists an adapter for attaching Nikon F-mount lenses to OM 4/3 body? The question may sound strange but the idea is to use my OM body on a Nikon scope (for which there exists an adapter, truning it into an F-Mount 1500 mm, F12 lens).

I understand I would have to resort to manual exposure mode.

BR
Tord
Old 19th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,231 Posts
Liked 1,649 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Nikon Lens to 4/3 body adapter?

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-F-Lens-O...item20b8aef6f1

Ian

PS presumably you mean an Olympus Four Thirds body (no such thing as an OM Four Thirds body )
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com

Last edited by Ian; 19th May 2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (19th May 2011)
Old 19th May 2011

I meant a full functioning Olympus camera body with an extra nicce to have third (e.g. spare parts).
Old 7th June 2011

Hi

I purchased such an adapter and put the combo to the test today. Wheater was overcast, there was some wind, anyhow I took some shots in the backyard.

The setup consists of a Nikon ED82A fieldscope, a Nikon DSLR adapter #7468 and the converter that connects it to the Olympus body (E520 was used). Teh setup in turn was mounted on a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod.

Immediate feedback:
1. The setup behaved OK from a balance point of view (I believe an angled scope helps quite a bit, at the expense of framing the subject being more tricky than with a straight scope).
2. The setup supported not only aperture priority, but also exposure compensation
3. Achieving perfect focus is not that easy, the scope/adapter has an aperture F12.8 (according to the data sheet).
4. Depth of field is extremely shallow. (Not surprisingly given the 800 mm focal length, rendering 1600 mm equivalent on 35 mm)
5. Release cable is strongly recommended.
6. Color rendering is natural
7. Bokeh is pleasant
8. Chromatic abberation is OK
9. Sharpness is OK. Not pin sharp, though
10. Some contrast is lost

I attach a few samples Please let me know what you think of the IQ. There were no cooperative birds around so I picked a few flowers instead. Distance to subject ~5 meters.

Pictures resized to adhere to the constraints imposed by the forum, no other post-processing done (except converting from RAW to HQ JPEG). I guess the images were further compressed when uploading.

I can email the full size JPEGs if anyone is interested to have a deeper look.

Data:
Sample 1:
ISO 400
1/60 s
0 EV

Sample 2:
ISO 400
1/500 s
-0.7 EV

Sample 3:
ISO 400
1/250 s
-0.7 EV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample1.jpg (52.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Sample 2.jpg (48.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Sample 3.jpg (23.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 9th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to know more about the scope and the adapter(s)...could you give us some details / model numbers etc etc?

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 9th June 2011

Hi,

Below are provided links to information/specifications about the scope and adapter.

The scope is a Nikon ED82A. A high performant scope that is not far behind the highest end scopes (Swarovski/Leica/Kowa), and at a competitive price point.

The adapter that connects the scope to the DSLR is a Nikon Camera Attachment for Fieldscopes 7468. It is a predecessor to the Nikon FSA-L1 . The adapter has a thread that connects it to the scope (where the eyepiece would be) and a Nikon F-mount for attachment to Nikon DSLR.
The difference between 7468 and FSA-L1 is that the 7468 does not transfer aperture and focal length information to the camera. However the camera AE does work (in aperture priority) as well as does exposure compensation.

Lastly is a Nikon F-mount to Four Thirds adapter (link to adapter kindly provided by Ian, see earlier post in this thread), on which I mounted the Olympus body (I tested using E520).

When used on a ED82A (with front lens diameter 82mm) the setup results in a super telephoto lens with aperture F12.8 (according to Nikon specs) and with fixed focal length 1500mm (35 mm equivalent) when used with a Nikon camera. On a 4/3 camera this would to my understanding be equivalent to roughly speaking 2000 mm focal length, a quite respectable reach...

Needless to say, it needs to be focused manually which is somewhat tricky given the viewfinder renders a quite dark picture and the depth of field is really shallow. A sturdy, high quality tripod is a must and so is a shutter release (cable or even better IR control).

Anyhow, given I already had the scope I am now able to use it as a super telephoto lens with respectable focal length, decent sharpness, pleasant bokeh, natural color rendering, no chromatic abberation to speak of and acceptble contrast loss for an reasonable price adder (compared to the cost of the scope).

One downside is of course the limited portability. This is however also true for high-end super telephoto lenses.

Once I get good light conditions (hopefully the coming weekend) I will put the setup to field test and if you like I can share some hi-res samples.

Let me know if you want more info.

/Tord
Old 14th June 2011

Hi

Follow up on this subject: Attached to this post are two samples, 100% magnification and cropped to 800 pixel wide.

No post-processing was done except converting from Olympus RAW and cropping to display a part of the picture only for feedback on image quality and sharpness. I.e. no altering of sharpening/contrast/toning/noise...

Pictures were taken at ~6 meter distance in overcast conditions (EV12 - EV13). Sensor at ISO 800 to achieve acceptable times 1/50 - 1/60 second. Body E520 was of course mounted on a solid tripod and lastly I used IR remote control to virtually eliminate shake blur. The birds filled up most the frame, and were quite active. I am not 100% certain I got the focus perfect but this is as good as it gets when looking through a F12.8 lens.

My personal opinion regarding the IQ:
- The images are sharp. Not pin sharp, but bear in mind these are rendered at 100% magnification.
- There are signs of chromatic abberration (mostly visible in the transition between black and white) but it is not a real issue

I would like to hear second opinion, if possible from users who have used high end telephoto lenses and know what results they are capable of.

Cheers
Tord