Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 7th March 2011

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: Olympus presence at Focus on Imaging

Interesting link on Oly future here.

http://www.megapixel.co.il/english/archive/14631

Greg
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Don't misundersatnd me, the situation is not at all ideal for E-System users. Maybe Olympus will produced more Four Thirds E-System bodies, maybe not. Some will feel too uncomfortable with this uncertainty and move to a different system. Canon users move to Nikon, Sony, and even Olympus and vice-versa.

The long term future Olympus is Micro Four Thirds. There is no escaping from this. But the excellence of Four Thirds lenses is not wasted. I am confident that we will eventually see a camera body from either Olympus or Panasonic, or both, that will be more like a conventional DSLR and enable Four Thirds lenses to be used as they were intended. Even now, I find using some Top Pro lenses like the 14-35 f/2 or 150 f/2 very satisfying to use on a Pen body.

It's not for everyone, and I accept that. Maybe the wait will be too long for yourself, I don't know. We'll just have to see.

But in the mean time, the gear that Olympus has produced to date doesn't suddenly become useless or difficult to use. Many e-group members demonstrate this every day.

Ian
Hi Ian

Do you know if a tethered option is available for Four-Thirds? It seems like the new Olympus Viewer software does not have this option at all; there is no paid "Pro" version.

This is a feature I am keen on, I was going to stick with an E-3 and see what happened with Oly over the next year but lack of a PC controlled solution may force me to switch.
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The long term future Olympus is Micro Four Thirds. There is no escaping from this. But the excellence of Four Thirds lenses is not wasted. I am confident that we will eventually see a camera body from either Olympus or Panasonic, or both, that will be more like a conventional DSLR and enable Four Thirds lenses to be used as they were intended. Even now, I find using some Top Pro lenses like the 14-35 f/2 or 150 f/2 very satisfying to use on a Pen body.

Ian
I wonder at what point did Olympus decide to junk normal 4/3rd's and switch to micro 4/3rd's?. Presumably, Olympus didn't develop the 4/3rd system and plan from the outset to junk it after only a relatively short period of time: if they did that would be rather cynical betrayal of those users who invested in the system. From what I've read, it seems that they were surprised by the success of micro 4/3rds (mainly in Japan) and then decided to go with that. Perhaps the recession played a part. However, when I now read that they are now surprised at the success of the E5 it leaves me wondering whether Olympus actually understands it's user base at all. This certainly doesn't infuse me with confidence.

Padgreen
Old 7th March 2011
petemii

fully agree with what your saying Ian but im going to go along the lines of not buying any more Olympus stuff for a while and build a canon kit alongside the olympus that we already own. luckily for us we can afford to do this but im sure they will be plenty out there that cant and for this reason its really not right what olympus have done. Even if they do bring out the in camera terms the next big thing there is a lot of olympus users who feel like us and wont be buying.

Pete
Old 7th March 2011
Bobpatchcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemii View Post
Well how very disappointed I am with Olympus
sorry for all you guys and girls out there but I for one and Tina for two my better half are so very close to getting rid of all things Olympus I really am fed up with Olympus not supporting events like this and makes me wonder why I should keep paying out good money on a system that is going the way of the dodo and fast, Olympus reps at focus all they talk about is the Pen and that was all the re-sellers had on offer. So please someone out there tell me why I bothered to buy an E5 and now I cant even buy a spare battery and all you get for the reps is we didnít expect the demand well I doesnít take a rocket scientist to look at all the forums out there and flicker to see how people were feeling about the release of the E5 between us we have spent some serious money on Olympus Tina Has the E5 I have the E3 the lenses are 11-22,12-60, 14-42, 40-150 & the 70-300 and we have owned the E410 & E510 also the EP1 (which although is a good camera is a complete waste of time if you have an E3 or An E5 ) so come on Olympus and I know I speak for a lot of users out there do something make it public either tell us your not going to support the standard 4/3rds or make some cast iron Assurances to the cause because if you donít Iím off to Canon
Sorry if it feels like a rant well it is

Let me know how much you want for the E-5?,
But seriously people have been knocking the system since day one but it didn't stop me buying two E-1's, and I still have one, the other was sold to help fund the purchase of an E-3,and the lenses are a match for anyones
make no mistake this is a superb system and I believe it will continue to be so,
Sorry if this sounds like a rant well it is, [nothing personal petemii]

Best Regards to all and long live Olympus

Bob,: eek:
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

I used to work (10 years ago) for a very well know Japanese company, not Olympus & nothing to do with photography.

I think that gives me an insight to how they work:

Someone “high up” makes a decision and once it’s made no one dare raise any objection even if you can see the company hurtling towards a cliff edge, you just follow the other lemmings. A bad decision is unlikely ever to be overturned as loosing face is the worst thing that can happen.

To do otherwise sees your career shrivel up. Anything less than full enthusiasm for “the party line” can set you back years. Bear in mind in Japan, people are far less likely to change employer and most vacancies are internal promotion, you work is secondary to your loyalty.

Our only hope is the new Brit CEO sees all these complaints and thinks we might have a point and challenges “the decision” to dump DSLR.
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Yes, despite all the doom & gloom that some people are peddling it really is way too early to dump Oly!

m4/3 is now giving me all the compact travel & street photo support I ever got when I used my OM-1 in the early 1970s (well, it is now I've discovered manual focussing via the electronic viewfinder...). We have the possiblity of the 'pro' m4/3 model to look forward to.

That just leaves me wondering what to do for wildlife/motorsport/low light.

This is much more difficult, and I agree we're in a bit of a dilemma about this (those of us who could afford to switch, I guess). Do I swap the E-620 for an E-5 and keep all my 4/3 lenses? (They won't suddenly all stop working, you know ) Or do I sell most of the 4/3 kit and invest in a second-hand D700 (when Nikon replace it in the near future with the D800) plus a couple of fast Nikon zooms?

I really do most strongly recommend anyone thinking of a switch to CaNikon spends a proper length of time trying out the kit and thinking about the images that result. Don't just follow the reviews and the fanboys. I recently spent a fascinating day trying out a friend's D700 and new D7000 plus several lenses. As a result, I'd say the D700 plus 70-200 VRII is a simply fantastic combination that gives good full-frame (FX) results and has a really wonderful focussing system for moving subjects. It weighs a ton, but that's the price you pay (and why you have a m4/3 as well).

In contrast, the D7000 isn't a patch on the E-620 IMHO, certainly in terms of handling, and most Nikon DX lenses are old/large/uninspiring in comparison with our Zuikos (even the plastic ones).

Yer pays yer money...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

Well I'm staying with my kit - its way beyond my capabilities and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
One day I will get an E30 but just so as to ensure my lenses are future proof.

As DrMarkf says they are not going to suddenly stop working are they?
My 50mm macro is still the best lens going and the thing is over 30 years old.

The commercial decision to stop selling E620 & E30 and limit supplies of E5s is perplexing. They ought to be the nearest thing to pure profit now.
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm certainly not looking to jump ship, but if anything looking to expand my collection of glass in the future. I usually buy on impulse, having seen something on my wish list.
Thing is Olympus glass is exceding rare in shops these days, there's also the worry, with taking 3-500 shots a week how long the bodies are going to last and if I'll be able to upgrade them.
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonutter View Post

there's also the worry, with taking 3-500 shots a week how long the bodies are going to last
The E-5 is validated for 150,000 exposures, so I make that between 961 and 5.8 years if my maths is right. Since one can still buy near-immaculate condition Leica III bodies, I don't think one should worry over much...

Now, where I do agree up to a point is that a collapse of the 4/3 system will devalue the lenses' resale value. I don't think it would be too terrible, however, and certainly not to the point where anyone should just dump the system immediately.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

I have just come back from Focus (another tiring day) and was disappointed to see that the only Oly stuff on sale was Pen this and Pen that. Not that I am against the Pen but I was rather hoping to see some HG and SHG Oly lenses on the Jacobs stand just like last year. The only E-System kit was on the Bright Publishing stand being use by the Oly Pro there and an Oly rep (both E-5s).
So at least there was a sort of Oly presence but everyone taking pictures of lovely Kellie (apart from the pro) was using non-Oly kit (grhhhhh!). Not one E-System camera in site (I decided not to take mine this year).
Not all bad news though - the pro was also using an XZ-1 on Kellie giving results almost as good as the E-5. I had a brief play and seems a cracking compact although I had to ask myself how much I would use it (usually take the E-3 when I go anywhere). I was sorely tempted by the special price of £349 on the Jacobs stand though. Maybe one day.
This compact deserves to do well so COME ON OLYMPUS PROMOTE IT HEAVILY!
Other bargains at Focus included the Lowepro Pro Runner 200 backpack for £34 from 1st Cameras (half price). I got one as it is a better size to carry around so my Pro Runner 300 will now be my main 'storage' bag.
Can't have enough camera bags, which is just what my wife says about her jeans!
Also got a Lightcraft ND500 in 72mm from Premier Inks for £54.
Roll on Focus 2012

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
The E-5 is validated for 150,000 exposures, so I make that between 961 and 5.8 years if my maths is right. Since one can still buy near-immaculate condition Leica III bodies, I don't think one should worry over much...
Thing is over the last ten years I've been upgrading not through necessity every two or three years, with a new camera. With the exception of the E620, which to my mind was an unmissable impulse bargain, and a lens every six months or so. Having big hands I just feel in the short future I'm not going to be given a choice to buy into the brand I love using. A m4/3 just 'feels' too small for me, and don't care how good they perform if they don't 'fit' right in my grip.
Yes, I could no doubt buy second hand equipment in the future, but doest this say there is a market for Olympus 4/3 to continue?
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 7th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The interview over on Megapixels with a Dominic Papenheim from Olympus Europe about Olympus's so-called future plans is interesting. He says"

"We see the mirrorless system as the future of digital photography. In 5-10 years reflex cameras will be a niche or will not be there at all. So we believe that PEN in the long run will also be in the professional market – but that will take maybe 2-3 years. In 2011 you will see more PEN products and more lenses (beyond what was discussed in the presentation)."

So that's most likely this is why it's just Pen's at Focus (plus the E5 stop-gap) as no ones going to push the pro-grade lenses from a system that is being phased out.

As I said earlier, it all just makes me wonder why Olympus bothered to develop 4/3rd in the first place: did they know from the start that they were going mirror-less or is this something that got decided recently.

I continue to think this is all a huge mistake. While cameras with electronic viewfinders might be appealing to people trading up from a compact, I continue to believe that they are a step too far, not just for me, but for many users who continue to want a proper optical viewfinder.

Equally, I'm not that impressed with the mirco 4/3rd lenses either: the first Zukio 14-42 didn't even take a lens hood and the 75-300 is slower at the long end and is also considerably more expensive that it's normal 4/3rd counter-part.

Sure, I will continue to use my E30 for the time being but that's (apart from the cost of switching) primarily because I'm in the middle of a long term project and switching at this stage from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 3:2 would be a bit strange.

Padgreen
Old 8th March 2011

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

It was good to see Ian's flyers at Focus for the hire service - but I wonder how many were picked up....................

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th March 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Question Re: Olympus presence at Focus on Imaging

Very interesting views and opinions in this debate.

As someone who is thinking of investing in some new Oly glass, starting with macro gear, and eventually an E5 I find myself, and have been for some time, wondering if it is financially wise to do so. All the available evidence would seem to suggest that 4/3 is possibly going to be formally dropped in 2 to 3 years and maybe even less.

The only hope is that someone in Olympus sees the possibilities of buidling and EM (E Mirrorless) range based on existing 4/3 glass and having the E series size and feel for enthusiasts rather than a more consumer orientated bias as with PEN.

I say mirror less as, despite many peoples preference for the SLR design, getting rid of the mirror with the advantages it can offer is a real step forward in my view. Especially so as the technology improves and what we see through the viewfinder is more like the optical view we are used to. I also believe it fits in with the desire for innovation that Oly have which makes it more feasable from the company strategy point of view.

Which brings me to my point/question. How do we get this mesage to the powers that be in Olympus??

Should we send an open letter or send a barrage of emails to someone in Olympus to attempt to ensure the sort of concerns expressed in the thread are understood??

I welcome views on this because I think we can and should try and take some positive action lest we are confined to unwilling passenger status in the knowledge that we did not even try.

Hec