Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 6th May 2010
malcapone

Mark on Viewfinder

Hiya can anyone shed any light on this - I have a mark when I look through my viewfinder on my E-620 (it looks more than a speck) I doesn't appear on the live view or the pictures - I suppose I could just ignore it but I would prefer not to.
If anyone of you (brainier than me people) can Help I would be eternally Grateful.

E-620 E-410 17.5/45 - Pancake - 40/150 - T20 - HLD5

Old 6th May 2010

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Mark on Viewfinder

It is dust on the focussing screen if sharp, or if out of focus on your prism. Dont do anything, from bitter experience dust blowers excetera will only make matters worse. Just learn to ignore it.
Old 6th May 2010
malcapone

Yes I thought that would be the case - Ignoring it is.
I can console myself with the fact that its not on the pictures

Old 6th May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

A friend of mine recently had the same problem on his E3 and tried cleaning the screen while we were in the field. The screen popped out and he had a devil of a job getting it back in, all the time with the lens removed, of course. Eventually he succeeded but the mark was still there and in addition he had gained some muck on the sensor, which the SSWF couldn't shift. Being Olympus users neither of us had a sensor cleaning kit (why would we?) so in all the shoot turned into a bit of a disaster for him.

I'd be inclined to leave well alone or have the camera serviced.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th May 2010
malcapone

Does anybody know if.............. it Would or could it be sorted under my warranty? because the camera is 6 months old - or is that classed as wear and tear?

Old 8th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcapone View Post
Does anybody know if.............. it Would or could it be sorted under my warranty? because the camera is 6 months old - or is that classed as wear and tear?
If the mark was there from new (i.e. when you first took it out of the box) then you should have a case. Unfortunately, if the mark appeared later then I would very much doubt it would come under warranty, although the charge for a clean up may not be too bad. Why not contact Olympus for advice and see what they can offer?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th May 2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had several marks (dust/pollen) on my focusing screen.

I called Olympus UK and I was told that I could get my camera serviced once a year, whist under warrantee(2 years if EU/UK part, 1 elsewhere)

I have had my E30 serviced this year for exactly the same problem.....and the cleaned it so it looked like new. I did it in the past with my E510 as well.

This think that this also applied to lenses.

Give Olympus UK a call and they should help.....but don't forget to use the service/repair form and use royal mail special delivery.

Olympus UK contact details.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1562.htm

Repair Form
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consum...rm_Cons_uk.pdf
Old 13th May 2010
malcapone

SUCCESS!
after thinking I may have to get it professionally cleaned because the speck of pollen was staring at me like some dodgy bloke on a bus everytime I switched it on.So a Canon using friend told me that this was a regular occurrance for them and advised me to buy a Giotto Rocket, ( Not the Cheap Hama Version) now I had already tried one of poundland type little puffer brushes to no avail but I took his advice because it said that it could even shift pollen and it wasnt kidding - I know some of you out there don't like dust blowers but this thing cost me about six quid off amazon and it must be the best money ever spent so of anyone has any pollen or other foreign bodies staring at them from the viewfinder get one of these they are worth thier weight in gold.
Marvellous!!

E-620 E410 17.5/45, Pancake, 40/150, HLD5, T20
Old 13th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcapone View Post
SUCCESS!
after thinking I may have to get it professionally cleaned because the speck of pollen was staring at me like some dodgy bloke on a bus everytime I switched it on.So a Canon using friend told me that this was a regular occurrance for them and advised me to buy a Giotto Rocket, ( Not the Cheap Hama Version) now I had already tried one of poundland type little puffer brushes to no avail but I took his advice because it said that it could even shift pollen and it wasnt kidding - I know some of you out there don't like dust blowers but this thing cost me about six quid off amazon and it must be the best money ever spent so of anyone has any pollen or other foreign bodies staring at them from the viewfinder get one of these they are worth thier weight in gold.
Marvellous!!

E-620 E410 17.5/45, Pancake, 40/150, HLD5, T20
Glad to hear it was so easily resolved!