Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 5th April 2019

Liked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Samyang 35mm F1.2 First Thoughts & Pictures

The first thing I would say is that if you are after an excellent superfast budget priced portrait lens you would be better served by the Samyang 50mm F1.2. The reason I didnt go for the 50mm was that I already own the exceptional Sigma 56mm F1.4, so it seemed like overkill!

Build quality is excellent and it is a really pleasant solid, but not heavy lens to use with extremely smooth focus. I actually found this lens more difficult to focus than my Samyang 135mm F 2.0 for a couple of different reasons. The extremely small depth of field means that whilst in many scenarios it is initially pretty easy to achieve perfect focus the slightest movement / judder etc knocks the focus just off or on some occasions completly off. My second problem was that I found that the lens actually focuses pretty close which is great, down to 38cm. However when focusing close, using focus peaking didn't really help at all as nothing seemed to show up in the viewfinder to assist image taking due to the short lens to subject distance. I think this could be overcome with some minor adjustment to the peaking or using magnify which for some reason I had turned off.

Image quality wide open is good/very good and more than acceptable for most people I would think. The quirky fov @70mm makes it I guess a short portrait / landscape & general purpose lens, perhaps when you want something just a bit more telephoto than a 50mm fov.

I have included some very quick images I took for you to peruse. Please note some of these images are not 100% critically sharp in focus and some of the exposures are a little off. In essence the images are just quick out of camera test shots. I hope that they do at least indicate the kind of separation & quality you can get from this lens.

It would be worth mentioning that this lens in MFT mount is probably going to be quite difficult to get hold of as no camera stores seem to stock it . Import looks like a viable option, or wait for one to pop up on ebay which is where I bought mine. This lens retails for around 350-380 new if you can find it . i bought mine from a private seller on ebay . Its in hardly used condition and cost me 215 including postage which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Please note all images are shot wide open @F1.2 (straight out of camera jpegs with an Olympus E-M1).

Here are a couple of images of the lens followed by the test shots will be uploaded as a reply to this starter message shortly but could take me an hour of more to sort out!

Regards
Tim

Last edited by timphoto1; 5th April 2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spellings
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Samyang 35mm F1.2 First Thoughts & Pictures

Adding a few images comparing F1.2 to F2.0 . My verdict is the lens is very good at F1.2 ( with care ) & pretty great at F2.0!

The F1.2 shot is first, followed by the same image at F2.0 . There isnt a massive amount of difference in depth of field / out of focus (bits!) but as you can see it does very much depend on what is in the background of your image. ( Excuse my very messy house!)

I hope someone finds this mini report & the images of some use now or in the future.
Regards
Tim

Last edited by timphoto1; 5th April 2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timphoto1 For This Useful Post:
Bearair (6th April 2019), Internaut (5th April 2019), Jim Ford (5th April 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Internaut (5th April 2019)

Tags
1.2, 35mm, fast, impressions, samyang