Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 29th May 2017

Liked 1,305 Times in 346 Posts
Re: C-AF disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I just noticed that you said this in an earlier post. Mystery solved. It will not be doing C-AF.

It is pretty stupid of Olympus to have these arcane, complex rules. Perhaps if the AF displayed in the viewfinder was actually S-AF when you use Sequential-H it would be better. Or some message gets displayed when you choose C-AF and Sequential-H. Anyway, it is poor user interface design. It would be easy to miss in the manual and lots of people expect to be able to use a camera without reading it.
Hi Tony,
Thanks for input but I am not sure I follow what you write.
I am 100% certain that the camera did focus continuously when in H-FPS, focus was maintained while tracking subjects with shutter release button half-pressed. Clearly visible when shooting against sky. The issue is that I do not get what I see - at shutter release focus is altered, with one exception (see previous post). See also the focus chart samples earlier in this thread.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 29th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Hi Tord I would not have thought that your experience with CAF would have been a setting issue given the images that you post. You are a season Olympus pro. I am happy with my copy of the MKII and 300 F4 but I only use drive modes with antishock (diamond) and LF with CAF. At first I thought this may have been the issue but your static CAF tests shows a front focusing issue.
Do you think the image you show is an oof issue or a shutter shock issue?
Which drive modes were you using? Will be interested what comes back from Olympus support.
It can't be shutter shock issue at 1/800s. (I could have added that piece of information).
What do you mean with "drive mode"? Memory card? I use one card only.

Just shared the files with Olympus support. Can't wait to get their reply.
/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 29th May 2017

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Hi Tony,
Thanks for input but I am not sure I follow what you write.
I am 100% certain that the camera did focus continuously when in H-FPS, focus was maintained while tracking subjects with shutter release button half-pressed. Clearly visible when shooting against sky. The issue is that I do not get what I see - at shutter release focus is altered, with one exception (see previous post). See also the focus chart samples earlier in this thread.

/Tord

Ah-ha! I see what you're saying, and I have just given it a try with my camera. I have been sloopy with my terminology! When I said Sequential-H uses S-AF I am wrong . What actually happens is that C-AF behaves differently with Sequential-H (in a way a bit similar to S-AF ).

The manual says for Sequential-H "Focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed at the values for the first shot in each series." I translated that as S-AF but of course, as you point out, it does do C-AF while the shutter button is half-pressed. It just stops doing C-AF after the first shot in the series!

Sorry for the confusion. The result is pretty much the same and the reason that your images are not focused is that the camera stops focusing after the first shot. The first shot in a burst is often not the best.

Hope that helps. The answer is to use Sequential-L of any variety - normal, silent, Pro Capture.
Old 31st May 2017

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
It can't be shutter shock issue at 1/800s.
That's what I thought at first but cannot find any oly info qualifying what shutter speeds this applies to p47 manual states;

"To prevent camera shake caused by the small vibrations that occur during shutter operations, shooting is performed using an electronic front-curtain shutter."
The info display on the back of the camera states "When shutter speed is 1/320 or less, the first shutter curtain is switched to electronic. Select the post-shutter release delay time." I do not under stand what this really means.

If it was ineffective at above 1/320sec I would have expected the antishock mode to be greyed out when set above this speed if it wasn't needed. All I can say is that I have noticed an improvement in the appearance of sharpness of the image using the 0sec anti shock mode compared to the normal mode. I have had so many bad images using the normal drive modes that I would question what are they good for?

Quote:
What do you mean with "drive mode"?
Its not very clear in the manual but I have often seen the setting that sets single, Sequential High etc as the drive mode, p 46 manual show some. There are 15 drive modes on the super control panel p50 marked as 19 Sequential shooting/Self-timer. I do not think this helps as that mode also includes single, Anti-Shock(diamond),Silent (heart).ProCapH, ProCapL & High Res Shot. Drive Mode is a term that has been used on E5 for sure in David Busch's book. I do not know of a better way of identifying that group of selections.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 1st June 2017

I was able to test the E-M1 Mark 2 body once more (last) time after explaining a possible reason behind my earlier disappointment.

I used L-FPS this time, and indeed it seems that you are right in that C-AF does not work with H-FPS. A quick look at the results indicates that some are quite good. Will take some time to develop and evaluate, and when done I will share some photos later for you to feedback.

I have a quick question: is there an easy way to find out which AF point that was actually used for each frame (and ideally visualize it in Lightroom)?

Thanks
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (2nd June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 440 Times in 165 Posts

Will this one work

https://petapixel.com/2014/09/19/sim...d-the-shutter/
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 1,464 Times in 719 Posts

The original one does not support Olympus and is no longer available but there is a link further down the page linked below that takes you to a new one that does support the EM1mk2.

https://petapixel.com/2017/01/03/fre...-point-photos/

The only frustrating thing is that you have to close it and reopen again for each image, you can't simply step through your images.

Final point it only works on Mac

My Flickr

Last edited by wornish; 2nd June 2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Shaw (2nd June 2017), Tordan58 (4th June 2017)
Old 2nd June 2017

Quote:
I was able to test the E-M1 Mark 2 body once more (last) time after explaining a possible reason behind my earlier disappointment.

I used L-FPS this time, and indeed it seems that you are right in that C-AF does not work with H-FPS. A quick look at the results indicates that some are quite good. Will take some time to develop and evaluate, and when done I will share some photos later for you to feedback.

I have a quick question: is there an easy way to find out which AF point that was actually used for each frame (and ideally visualize it in Lightroom)?

Thanks

Tord
Good. Glad you are getting somewhere. It is crazy of Olympus to allow such confusion to be possible with their cameras. They must lose loads of business when people try out their cameras in the shop.
Old 2nd June 2017

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:

Thanks
Tord
The quick way is in camera. Go to view and press info button until it shows the display with the histogram. The focus point should show as a small green square.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (4th June 2017)
Old 4th June 2017

Below are some samples showing what the camera is capable of:
(already posted in other thread, posting here as well)

C-AF (non-TR)
L-FPS
5 central AF points.
C-AF Release prio OFF
C-AF lock normal (0 on the scale -2 ... +2)
These are with the m.Zuiko 300 at F/4.

These birds are really swift and the time from they start diving until they emerge and take off is really short . With FPS set at 10 you will get maybe 5 frames from point of impact until subject is out of frame even when doing your best to track them. Typically the camera would produce 2 frames with correct focus, at some occasions it managed to keep focus throughout the sequence. All sequences, half a dozen of them, had at least one good frame. Quite impressive I must say.

Still I need to figure out how to make C-AF + TR work the way I imagine it should work - lock the target and keep it in focus.

My Gallery on 500px
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (5th June 2017), Greytop (5th June 2017), pault (5th June 2017), Ross the fiddler (5th June 2017), wornish (5th June 2017)
Old 5th June 2017

Quote:
Below are some samples showing what the camera is capable of:
(already posted in other thread, posting here as well)

C-AF (non-TR)
L-FPS
5 central AF points.
C-AF Release prio OFF
C-AF lock normal (0 on the scale -2 ... +2)
These are with the m.Zuiko 300 at F/4.

These birds are really swift and the time from they start diving until they emerge and take off is really short . With FPS set at 10 you will get maybe 5 frames from point of impact until subject is out of frame even when doing your best to track them. Typically the camera would produce 2 frames with correct focus, at some occasions it managed to keep focus throughout the sequence. All sequences, half a dozen of them, had at least one good frame. Quite impressive I must say.

Still I need to figure out how to make C-AF + TR work the way I imagine it should work - lock the target and keep it in focus.

Bravo! But save yourself the effort with C-AF + Tr. It isn't reliable. I never use it. Fo r bif againsta clear sky, All-points with cluster display works very well and tracks the subject far better. If the background is cluttered, you can sometimes use the focus limiter to isolate the subject from the foreground and background whilst using all points.
Old 5th June 2017

Hi Tony,

This AF limiter feature sounds quite useful for this application area. Will try.
Also just found the AF Target display, well hidden/disguised as "ON2".

Thanks
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 5th June 2017

Quote:
Hi Tony,

This AF limiter feature sounds quite useful for this application area. Will try.
Also just found the AF Target display, well hidden/disguised as "ON2".

Thanks
Tord
I have set my AF limiter up as a function button. By default, when I press it, it limits focus to to between 10m and 70m. This is for use with the 300 f/4 with/without teleconverter. If the bird is closer than 10m, I will probably not be able to follow it. If the bird is more than 70m away, I probably won't want the photo anyway! For a "record" shot, I just press the function button to revert to the full focus range. Note that the focus limiter switch on the lens has to be in the central position (ie full focus range) for any of this to work.

I use the focus limiter with 5, 9 and all points as it helps to stop the AF wandering off when there is something else in the frame and/or I drift of the subject. The limiter is a bit fuzzy in that the minimum and maximum focus distances are not exact but, with a bit of experimentation, it can be a useful addition.

When I press the function button the first time, the EVF displays "C-AF Limit" and when I press it again, it displays just "C-AF" so I always know where I am.

Hope that helps!
Old 5th June 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Hi Tony,

Yes, good idea.

However...
...a trouble I foresee with this in some real-life situations is that you'd be happily waiting with your AF limiter set for those pretty Pochards to fly in front of the reeds, when you suddenly spotted 4 bitterns, 2 water rails and a decoration of reed buntings peering out from among the reedy background for 10 seconds (before disappearing forever).

Cue frantic scrabble with the camera controls to allow it to focus on them (although you might think to have something suitable set up on a 'C' or button, I suppose).

[I see that Tony has already provided one version of a solution, but it is another complication to remember, especially for a camera used for multiple types of photography!)

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.