Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th May 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: Firmware Update on Monday

Talked to Olympus this morning, seems my lens has to go on holiday to Portugal!! Talked with SRS my local Olympus dealer, there have been some problems with download site at peak times. Guess next time I will wait.
Thanks for all comments

Geoff
Old 10th May 2017

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Did mine without incident this morning - E-M1 MkII body, 12-100 and 300 lenses. ...

As far as I can tell the 12-100 is behaving OK.

John
My 12-100 is OK, once I'd solved the self-inflicted gotcha!
After the update, the IS had become switched off, and I couldn't use the SCP to change it. Then I noticed that the IS switch on the lens was in the 'Off' position.

Seems like all the messing about to access the USB port and rotate the LCD had bumped the switch
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

I've just done the update of both the E-M1 Mk 2 and the 12-100 and the process appears to have completed without error. The very long wait while the 12-100 did its thing was rather nerve wracking though

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 1,463 Times in 718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
I've just done the update of both the E-M1 Mk 2 and the 12-100 and the process appears to have completed without error. The very long wait while the 12-100 did its thing was rather nerve wracking though

Cheers,

JohnGG
I agree about the long wait for the 12-100 being nerve wracking, I was starting to worry but patience paid off.

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Clinton View Post
Talked to Olympus this morning, seems my lens has to go on holiday to Portugal!! Talked with SRS my local Olympus dealer, there have been some problems with download site at peak times. Guess next time I will wait.
Thanks for all comments

Geoff
This is pretty shoddy and highlights the precarious nature of this update process. I would very much rather download the update and copy it to a card to update the body, like every other manufacturer that I have ever had does. Or failing that for the update process to show more clearly what it is doing and, where possible, giving a "cancel" option. This is another one of those things that we discuss on here every now and then.

I usually try and do updates fairly early morning UK time, in the hope that the load on Oly's servers will be lowest then.

John
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 1,463 Times in 718 Posts

Quote:
This is pretty shoddy and highlights the precarious nature of this update process. I would very much rather download the update and copy it to a card to update the body, like every other manufacturer that I have ever had does. Or failing that for the update process to show more clearly what it is doing and, where possible, giving a "cancel" option. This is another one of those things that we discuss on here every now and then.

I usually try and do updates fairly early morning UK time, in the hope that the load on Oly's servers will be lowest then.

John
I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not. I think the update works the same way . The Oly software downloads the file from Oly's servers. Then it confirms file received is correct by verifying checksum. Then it transfer file to cameras card. Then runs update of firmware memory. Then do checksum check again and then if its correct display the OK sign. Don't see how the other manufactures process is any different. Except you get a chance to stop at the load onto card stage. Perhaps Oly should give you a final chance to say Go ahead once its downloaded. But that wouldn't stop the occasional hiccup.

The only really safe alternative is to have sufficient firmware memory to hold the existing version and the new version then you can always go back to the existing one. Memory is so cheap these days it could easily be done.

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not. I think the update works the same way .
I agree
Quote:
The Oly software downloads the file from Oly's servers. Then it confirms file received is correct by verifying checksum. Then it transfer file to camera's card.
Dave,
I think this should say ... 'transfer file to camera's memory'.
Olympus update instructions always used to recommend that users remove the SD card before applying a f/w update.
Quote:
Then runs update of firmware memory. Then do checksum check again and then if its correct display the OK sign. Don't see how the other manufactures process is any different. Except you get a chance to stop at the load onto card stage. Perhaps Oly should give you a final chance to say Go ahead once its downloaded. But that wouldn't stop the occasional hiccup.

The only really safe alternative is to have sufficient firmware memory to hold the existing version and the new version then you can always go back to the existing one. Memory is so cheap these days it could easily be done.
When update hiccups ' brick a camera', it is most probable that the f/w writing (i.e non-volatile memory flashing task) has errored. This type of error may occur regardless of whether the update is installed from a SD card or the camera's internal RAM. In such an event the camera is unlikely to have enough remaining trustworthy code to be capable of rewriting the previous f/w.
wornish (11th May 2017)
Old 11th May 2017

Quote:
I don't think it makes any difference, whether you load it to a card first or not.
In terms of the overall function, I agree. And as long as it all works, I agree.

Where I find the Oly process sub-optimal is that it doesn't tell you what's going on, or give any opportunity to cancel out of it. If the download is sticky, there is no real reason why you shouldn't just cancel out of it and try again later. The instrumentation is a better nowadays than it was and you can reasonably deduce which stage it is at, which I find is a big relief compared with how it used to be when it was much more of a black box process which required considerable faith.

There are always things that can go wrong. But regardless of method, if congestion on the servers can brick a camera the method is not good.

John
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
In terms of the overall function, I agree. And as long as it all works, I agree.

Where I find the Oly process sub-optimal is that it doesn't tell you what's going on, or give any opportunity to cancel out of it. If the download is sticky, there is no real reason why you shouldn't just cancel out of it and try again later. The instrumentation is a better nowadays than it was and you can reasonably deduce which stage it is at, which I find is a big relief compared with how it used to be when it was much more of a black box process which required considerable faith.

There are always things that can go wrong. But regardless of method, if congestion on the servers can brick a camera the method is not good.

John
The download from the internet stage does have a cancel button. After this stage, the dialog box changes and the cancel button disappears for obvious reasons.
Old 11th May 2017

Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

Failure of the download does not brick the device. Only when the download is completed does the actual update start, when the red and yellow warning symbols are shown on the display.

Using an SD card is actually more risky, not less. There can be problems with the card, whereas there are unlikely to be problems with the memory into which the update is loaded before it is applied.

On several occasions people who have bricked a lens or camera have admitted they accidentally disturbed it or turned it off before it was finished.

Last edited by Growltiger; 12th May 2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12th May 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Failure of the download does not brick the device. Only when the download is completed OK does the actual update start, when the warning is shown on the display.

Using an SD card is actually more risky, not less. There can be problems with the card, whereas there are unlikely to be problems with the memory into which the update is loaded before it is applied.

On several occasions people who have bricked a lens or camera have admitted they accidentally disturbed it or turned it off before it was finished.
Maybe you didn't quite mean it that way.
When OK is displayed, all is finished, is it not?

And this is transferring (as far as I know), as seen from an older version of Updater though.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 12th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The download from the internet stage does have a cancel button. After this stage, the dialog box changes and the cancel button disappears for obvious reasons.
I hadn't noticed that, thank you. The process has been improved over the years. Now we have a percentage clock which as far as I can see refers to progress of the download from the web to the host PC, this is a big help in reducing the nervous tension.

John
Old 12th May 2017

Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Maybe you didn't quite mean it that way.
When OK is displayed, all is finished, is it not?
You are correct, it was ambiguous, I have just edited it to take out the OK and clarify it.

Basically it first downloads the update and sticks it in memory in the camera. It doesn't matter if this fails, no damage is done.

Then it does the dangerous bit, when it updates the firmware. During this stage there is a warning on the back of the camera to touch nothing. A proportion of people don't notice the warning and touch something, with bad results.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (12th May 2017)
Old 17th May 2017

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

12-100 LENS UPDATE
Just received lens back from Olympus service was great from UK to Portugal and back 6 days. Service report indicates the Power System has been repaired, so it seems it was a random failure not associated with the lens firmware upgrade.

Geoff
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (17th May 2017), drmarkf (17th May 2017), wornish (17th May 2017)
Old 17th May 2017

Thanks for the update Geoff, that is a relief.

John