Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 30th March 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
50-200 swd.

I have now sold most of my 4/3 lenses and replaced them with MFT versions. This morning with a couple hours to go before going to work and a bit of sunshine in the garden I decided to get my 50-200 SWD out. It's been languishing unused for quite a while but I thought I'd try it now my EM-1 has the V3 firmware installed. After a few snaps I decided to fit the EC14 teleconverter too. I have to say even with this the focussing performance is impressive with very little lag at all. Olympus have really done a good job of tweaking the EM-1's firmware.
Below is a sample shot taken hand held at full zoom which equates to 560mm. The camera was set to P mode with ESP metering. Not a particularly interesting subject matter but It makes me wonder just how much better the MFT 40-150 Pro can be.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
Graptolite (30th March 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (1st April 2015), Ross the fiddler (30th March 2015)
Old 31st March 2015

Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: 50-200 swd.

I agree. I posted a shot yesterday of a rabbit I took in the garden with my pre-SWD 50-200 on an E-M1. The sharpness and detail are excellent and with the V.3 firmware the focus performance isn't too shabby either. It's not Canon 7dii + 70-200 territory, but for what I use it for it's more than good enough.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
paullus (31st March 2015)
Old 31st March 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Re: 50-200 swd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I agree. I posted a shot yesterday of a rabbit I took in the garden with my pre-SWD 50-200 on an E-M1. The sharpness and detail are excellent and with the V.3 firmware the focus performance isn't too shabby either. It's not Canon 7dii + 70-200 territory, but for what I use it for it's more than good enough.
Actually Paul it was your rabbit that prompted me to get the lens out, so thank you.

However the Em-1 + 50-200 + EC14 + MFT converter makes for a hefty chunk that I wouldn't want to hang around my neck for long.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!