Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 12th March 2013

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts
Purple patch?

Tried to grab a quick shot of a little purple house plant that was looking quite fresh the other day. Imagine my suprise when it came out looking like this.

It was even bluer on the LCD screen.

So for someone who only ever uses auto WB and thought it was fine a brief trial and error education.
First I tried cloudy WB and got this.

Better but still too blue. So I tried shadow WB ( a little house symbol with a cast shadow) and got this.

The closest to the real thing I got but a little bit too far and ever so slightly too much pink now. All posted as from the camera.

So what is the right thing to do? Off to try google and see what I can find but if anyone is willing to contribute to my education and suggest how I can get my E510 to show purple correctly I'd be very grateful.

Finally here's a bit more of a close up to finish off. A bit of a contrast tweak in Picassa but still a bit too pink using the shadow WB setting.

Old 13th March 2013

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Purple patch?

That doesn't come as much of a surprise, Phill, I have had much the same experience with bluebells - and generally with red flowers too. If you have Photoshop or some such, can I suggest you look at the individual colour channels, as it may be that one channel (only one) is overexposed, leading to colour shifts which cannot easily be rectified by a change to the WB/colour temperature setting.

Piers
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

I have the same problems on the E-1 and E-330 with reds and purples.I find that turning down the Exposure control by .7 helps, but still have to work in channels to get spot on.

I got hold of a Paint Colour sampler, helps to match the colour with that, then you can compare as you edit.
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Notoriously difficult colour to get right.

Best bet is to shoot in RAW and set a custom WB using a grey card, or a white one if you don't have grey. This will help get as close as possible for starters, but then as has already been suggested some further tweaking of individual channels may still be necessary.

Martin
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Notoriously difficult colour to get right.

Best bet is to shoot in RAW and set a custom WB using a grey card, or a white one if you don't have grey. This will help get as close as possible for starters, but then as has already been suggested some further tweaking of individual channels may still be necessary.

Martin
Plus 1....the E-1 and E-510 are lot better at purple than than the E-620 and E-30 Phill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 13th March 2013

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts

Thanks guys looks like time for some experimentation. It's suprising that the newer cameras are even more off than the old E510.
Old 13th March 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

I've always suspected this problem is related to the one experienced by film users shooting flowers (and other subjects) where accurate colour was needed. One suggested reason was the various film stocks response to UV compared to the human eye. Film shooters chose a suitable film and lighting conditions to get as accurate colour as possible.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.