Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Three new Micro Four Thirds Pens from Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Oh and 300. thanks again.
What's the 300 for, the leather case?

I'd go for the rangefinder style with EVF every time - a smaller screen wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the form factor stayed the same. I think with having Panasonic in the m43 market we're more than spoilt for choice in the D-SLR body style anyway....
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Left or central it doesn't matter much to be honest, you could place it left and continue the 'hump' across to right of center to facilitate a pop up flash that sits central to the lens mount.

I know some people don't like the G1/2/3 because they look like DSLRs, does it matter as long as they work?
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I know some people don't like the G1/2/3 because they look like DSLRs, does it matter as long as they work?
It does to a lot of people.... I still think the Olympus take on m43 is the best for styling and size. I'm sure the Fuji X100's styling has a lot to do with it's runaway success as well.....
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the E-PL2 is the best looking Pen but AFAIK it doesn't have a proper command dial. Of the m4/3rds bodies without a built in EVF I think I'd prefer the Panasonic GF1/GF2. From a practical point of view I think the GF1 is the best of the sans EVF models to date, the G2 being the best overall, of course I'm only considering actual layout/form not IQ.
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There isn't really any benefit in a Four Thirds body without a mirror. You might as well have a Micro Four Thirds mount on a slimmer body and then use an adapter for Four Thirds lenses. That way you get the benefit of using MFT lenses should you wish to, which would be impossible using a FT-only body. It would also be possible to use legacy lens adapters on a MFT body that would not be possible on a FT-only body.

Ian

I missed this earlier but feel you're overlooking the obvious downside for a 4/3rds user switching to using a mirrorless m4/3rds rather than a mirrorless 4/3rds, the 150 adapter.

Olympus continuity is all over the place when it comes to 4/3rds/m4/3rds, I personally hold out little hope of an E-System body to replace either the E-4** or E-6**, my feeling is they're playing the waiting game and that by the time they get around to thinking about the E-System they'll find (possibly to their relief) that there's insufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The E-System will be phased out or more accurately allowed to quietly disappear like the Panasonic 4/3rds range in favour of the Pen System where they can charge 2x times the price for something that does less and then expect the user to stump up for lens adapters rather than write off their existing 4/3rds lenses.

I initially switched from a Nikon D70 to an E-1 so that I could get some use from my OM Zuiko lenses and never regretted doing so but I certainly didn't expect to have to switch to yet another system in a relatively short space of time to continue to use (with reduced functionality) my Zuiko Digital 4/3rds lenses.
Old 3rd July 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,227 Posts
Liked 1,635 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
I missed this earlier but feel you're overlooking the obvious downside for a 4/3rds user switching to using a mirrorless m4/3rds rather than a mirrorless 4/3rds, the 150 adapter.

Olympus continuity is all over the place when it comes to 4/3rds/m4/3rds, I personally hold out little hope of an E-System body to replace either the E-4** or E-6**, my feeling is they're playing the waiting game and that by the time they get around to thinking about the E-System they'll find (possibly to their relief) that there's insufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The E-System will be phased out or more accurately allowed to quietly disappear like the Panasonic 4/3rds range in favour of the Pen System where they can charge 2x times the price for something that does less and then expect the user to stump up for lens adapters rather than write off their existing 4/3rds lenses.

I initially switched from a Nikon D70 to an E-1 so that I could get some use from my OM Zuiko lenses and never regretted doing so but I certainly didn't expect to have to switch to yet another system in a relatively short space of time to continue to use (with reduced functionality) my Zuiko Digital 4/3rds lenses.
I remember lots of people saying that an E-3 replacement would never come and then the E-5 arrived.

The wait and uncertainty is certainly frustrating, there is no way around that.

When a so-called Pen Pro arrives (as it surely must) I'm quite sure that there will either be an adapter in the box or some kind of scheme to supply them on request at a special price.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 3rd July 2011

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi Ian
Have you had a chance to test 4/3 lenses on the ep3 .Is there any increased focus speed ?
Thanks
John
Old 3rd July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hi Ian
Have you had a chance to test 4/3 lenses on the ep3 .Is there any increased focus speed ?
Thanks
John
Contrast detect optimised lenses like the 14-54 II seem to be worked harder when focusing (the motor soudn is higher pitched) but if there is an improvment in focus speed, it is not dramatic in my experience. SWD and older Four Thirds lenses seem to focus at much the same speed as on an E-P2.

Ian

Old 3rd July 2011
Administrator

Here are some short video clips taken last Thursday on the E-P3:

It's pretty good, I feel and 29 minute clips are so much more useful than the 7 minute limit of the old AVI format.

Ian

Old 3rd July 2011

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

I feel the train of discussion here is pointing at a DSLR with built in EVF. It certainly looks like a M4/3 but I think that a 4/3 version will appear.
It will be interesting to see where the market goes. I don't think Nikon and Canon have it as much their own way as they did a couple of years ago. I see many visitors to Stirling Castle with DSLRs. Yes the 2 market leaders are there but I also see Olympus, Sony and Pentax. I have not yet seen a Hasselblad but a couple of Leicas yes.

I am not upset by the idea of a bump on the top of the camera. A large LCD on the back is useful. I have not, so far, damaged mine on the E-3. (probably will now)
It is, after all, a move up from a compact or bridge camera. And a number of bridge cameras already look like DSLRs.

Lots of toys.
Old 3rd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I remember lots of people saying that an E-3 replacement would never come and then the E-5 arrived.

The wait and uncertainty is certainly frustrating, there is no way around that.

When a so-called Pen Pro arrives (as it surely must) I'm quite sure that there will either be an adapter in the box or some kind of scheme to supply them on request at a special price.

Ian
It's quite possible that a Pro Pen will come but it'll be extremely expensive given the price of existing Pen models and at best will probably only equal the handling/performance of an entry level DSLR. For that reason I fear that there won't be a new entry level E-System body that perfoms as well as the E-4*0/5*0 range did, would you develop and build a low cost E-System DSLR that outperformed your expensive top of the range Micro 4/3rds offering?
Old 4th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm guessing the Chinese have already made a 15 4/3 to m4/3 adapter at 1/10th of the cost of the Olympus one. We just need a few E-P2/3 members to report as to whether the machining tolerances are correct on those made available on ebay, then we can buy with confidence. Has anyone found a good replica adapter so far?
--------------------------
Old 4th July 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
I'm guessing the Chinese have already made a 15 4/3 to m4/3 adapter at 1/10th of the cost of the Olympus one. We just need a few E-P2/3 members to report as to whether the machining tolerances are correct on those made available on ebay, then we can buy with confidence. Has anyone found a good replica adapter so far?
They have, indeed a member of the forum bought one, unfortunately it lacks the necessary bits to connect the 4/3 lens contacts to the different pattern of m4/3 lens contacts. So though he could mount a lens it wouldn't focus or adjust aperture - great for those with a large collection of manual 4/3 lenses.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 4th July 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
It's quite possible that a Pro Pen will come but it'll be extremely expensive given the price of existing Pen models and at best will probably only equal the handling/performance of an entry level DSLR. For that reason I fear that there won't be a new entry level E-System body that perfoms as well as the E-4*0/5*0 range did, would you develop and build a low cost E-System DSLR that outperformed your expensive top of the range Micro 4/3rds offering?
With the greatest respect I don't think anybody can confidently make even a 'probably' statement about a camera that is most likely still deep in the developmental stage and that nobody has seen, let alone used in anger.
Lets wait and see what Olympus release before getting wrapped up in hypothetical scenarios about something that doesn't yet exist

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
They have, indeed a member of the forum bought one, unfortunately it lacks the necessary bits to connect the 4/3 lens contacts to the different pattern of m4/3 lens contacts. So though he could mount a lens it wouldn't focus or adjust aperture - great for those with a large collection of manual 4/3 lenses.

Nick
It's just a matter of time before someone gets it right. We need to ensure there's confirmation from an 'expert' when one is found (Ian?), as I wouldn't know how to test an adapter.
--------------------------