Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > E-group equipment hire

E-group equipment hire This board is dedicated to questions about our Olympus gear hire service and feedback from customers.

Old 7th April 2011
niiick

Macro advice

Hi everyone, just looking for a little advice concerning hiring macro equipment. I'm looking into borrowing the 50mm f2 macro, and maybe the ex-25 tube and ec-20 converter. I just wanna ask a quick question concerning these.

If I was to fit both the tube and the teleconverter onto the lens, would this make the macro essentially a 100mm 1:1 lens?

I am interested in shooting mainly flowers and insects in full sunlight if that helps. Many thanks.

- Nick
Old 7th April 2011

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts
Re: Macro advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiick View Post
If I was to fit both the tube and the teleconverter onto the lens, would this make the macro essentially a 100mm 1:1 lens?
Hello and welcome Nick, Sadly in answer to your query, it's not a practical option without resorting to a toolkit. Only one accessory is supported at a time under the 4/3 design criteria.
There have been folk who have bypassed the electronics in the extension tube to make it invisible to the camera, but I don't think Ian would appreciate you cannibalising his hire stock

A 70-300mm is reckoned to be pretty good at macro, though it's obviously not as bright as the 50mm F2; it would also take an extension tube, though you would need to confirm with others on the site as to how well it focuses that way. It's too dark in my front room to have a practice for you at the moment.

Keep on asking the questions, none of them are stupid, jut beware of some of my answers

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 7th April 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I would agree that the 70-300mm is the most practical for insects owing to a much longer working distance than the 50mm, even using that lens with the EC20. In addition the 50mm with the EX25 sometimes bring you so close to flowers that the lens can partially obscure natural light, using ring flash is obviously another matter. Although the 50mm does have a very creditable IQ performance compared to the 70-300mm it is surprising how good the latter lens is, particularly in a macro situation and although it would have AF difficulties used with the EC20 I see no reason why the EX25 would affect this. Also remember that the 70-300mm will focus down to 0.92m in MF which is widely used in macro work.

I hope, whatever you decide, you will thoroughly enjoy macro as I do.

Regards

David
Old 7th April 2011
niiick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
A 70-300mm is reckoned to be pretty good at macro, though it's obviously not as bright as the 50mm F2; it would also take an extension tube, though you would need to confirm with others on the site as to how well it focuses that way. It's too dark in my front room to have a practice for you at the moment.
I currently have the 70-300mm and think it's great at the moment. Would you think just leaving the focal length at 70mm would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
In addition the 50mm with the EX25 sometimes bring you so close to flowers that the lens can partially obscure natural light
Do you mean that it leaves a big lens shadow on the flower from being so close?

Thanks for the advice both of you.
Old 8th April 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Yes it can result in a lens shadow restricting your options for framing and composition, a longer working distance is always preferable. With the 70-300 I would use it at 300mm if light levels allowed but you would probably need to use a tripod due to the restricted DoF.

David
Old 10th April 2011
niiick

Thanks for the advice guys. Do you know if the hire people e-mail you back on weekends? I sent an e-mail friday night as I'm just curious about trying the 50mm lens for general purposes as well.

EDIT: Nevermind it's been replied to.

Tags
macro