Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 26th July 2012

Liked 671 Times in 207 Posts
Should I buy an E-PL1?

Hi
There's one at my local Argos with the kit 14-42 lens for 185 plus a 10 voucher back and I am sorely tempted but need persuading please
I recently sold my E-510 plus a couple of lenses so have the cash, I have also started to get sucked in to the idea of M4/3 especially with all the classy lenses that are being released, but I can'tafford top of the range stuff (E-M5).
Should I go for it???

Cheers

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 17, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,356 Times in 797 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Should I buy an E-PL1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
Should I go for it???

Cheers
Absolutly. Ok it's an old model, but I use my one a lot and consider it to be an excellent camera and the 40-150 is VERY under rated...

This is a 100% crop from the RAW file, taken hand held at 150mm, on a dull day of my G.Niece on a ride at Legoland

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
IainMacD (26th July 2012)
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,971 Times in 2,309 Posts
Liked 3,931 Times in 1,853 Posts
Re: Should I buy an E-PL1?

Quote:
Hi
There's one at my local Argos with the kit 14-42 lens for 185 plus a 10 voucher back and I am sorely tempted but need persuading please
I recently sold my E-510 plus a couple of lenses so have the cash, I have also started to get sucked in to the idea of M4/3 especially with all the classy lenses that are being released, but I can'tafford top of the range stuff (E-M5).
Should I go for it???

Cheers
Yes! But with reservations.

I have an E-PL1 myself and can confirm it is a stella performer at a bargain price. In fact it is by far the cheapest way to get E-5 image quality!

It is also vastly more portable (and therefore more likely to be carried casually) than a DSLR.

The slight reservations are to do with handling (lots of tiresome toggling and button pushing) and the need for an accessory EVF in bright light.

I tolerate mine because, like you, I cannot afford anything better at the moment. However, you do get used to the handling and although it's never going to be rapid in use it is certainly responsive enough for general walk-about photography. I do manage without an EVF, but sometimes composition on the screen is more by intuition than by sight! My current quandry is do I use funds I've managed to squirrel away to buy a VF-2 or do I continue saving until a price drop on the E-M5 makes a trade-in of my E-3 financially viable?

But yes, as your situation sounds similar to mine, do get one. On a recent trip to Scotland I took just the E-PL1 and 14-45mm kit lens; it was absolutely no burden to carry and I got some pictures I was pleased with. I wouldn't have taken the E-3 due to size and weight issues - of both me and the camera! For me, also add lack of fitness, so for me it was a case of the E-PL1 or no camera at all.

175 (net) brand new including kit lens? At that price they're almost giving them away. It would be rude not to buy one!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 26th July 2012

Thanked 1,038 Times in 643 Posts
Liked 1,238 Times in 586 Posts

In a nutshell, I'd go for it. It's a route I've recently gone down and so far I'm very pleasantly surprised at what these small bodies can deliver. Using approximately the same gear but in 4/3 format you'll be able to float like a butterfly but still be able to sting like a bee. [Apologies to you know who?]

I've been using a friends xz-1 and was quite surprised at how good it is especially when mated with an EVF. Given my problems, I've gone down the 4/3 route [now have an e-p3 with an EVF] and so far I'm impressed with what these smaller versions can accomplish. As good as or even better than the gear you've sold and one other advantage is that Panasonic and Olympus 4/3 lens are interchangeable.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
... with the kit 14-42 lens for 185 plus a 10 voucher back and I am sorely tempted but need persuading please
Just BUY IT,
then you can start looking at all the adapters to use all the old lenses from car-boot fairs,
or you can buy the mZuiko 45mm,
or the great 17mm pancake,
and the VF-2 viewfinder etc etc.

The great thing about the e-pL1 is that upgrading from the older e-510 DSLR you won't take a hit on sharpness, unlike the E-30,e-620,e-P1 and e-P2 which were all softer than my e-410.
The e-pL1 seems indeed to be an E-5 in a cheapo (but solid) body.

Tweaks for me ; Sharpness-1 or -2, AllWhitebalance Green+1, that's all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulfric M Douglas For This Useful Post:
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 31 Times in 8 Posts

A few weeks ago I was in my local Currys and noticed a salesman and customer talking over one of these. They had a EPL3 as well and the guy was weighing up the odds. Unfortunately for me, the customer walked away with the two lens kit version of the EPL1 - for 99 !!. Otherwise I'd have had it myself in an instant. What a bargain !

Cameras: EM1 MK1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Slik Sprint Pro GM tripod

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
The Following User Says Thank You to cinders For This Useful Post:
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinders View Post
A few weeks ago I was in my local Currys and noticed a salesman and customer talking over one of these. They had a EPL3 as well and the guy was weighing up the odds. Unfortunately for me, the customer walked away with the two lens kit version of the EPL1 - for 99 !!. Otherwise I'd have had it myself in an instant. What a bargain !
99? That's a real bargain for the 40-150mm alone, even if you threw away the camera and other kit lens!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th July 2012

Liked 671 Times in 207 Posts

Well that seems unanimous I could be spending some money tomorrow
What makes it worse is that I have spotted a Panasonic 45-200 lens reduced to 199 -10 voucher = 189 and it is included in the current 50 cashback so a net 139 This isn't so local but an 80 mile round trip would be worthwhile I think?
Problem is, that is pushing the limit on the wallet.
Any views/experience on the 45-200?
Cheers

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 17, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 26th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Well that seems unanimous I could be spending some money tomorrow
What makes it worse is that I have spotted a Panasonic 45-200 lens reduced to 199 -10 voucher = 189 and it is included in the current 50 cashback so a net 139 This isn't so local but an 80 mile round trip would be worthwhile I think?
Problem is, that is pushing the limit on the wallet.
Any views/experience on the 45-200?
Cheers
No experience of this lens but it does not have a great reputation. On the other hand, I've seen pictures on the web taken with it, which look fine. For 140 it can't be bad!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd August 2012
jpil

Just BUY IT!