Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 27th December 2011
toastie

e-pl1 discontinued?

well i have just received the olympus e-pl1 from my wife for christmas she got it from jessops when they did the twin lens deal and just wondered if it was because it was being discontinued as they dont even seem to stock it anymore?
also is the e-pl3 worth the extra money? the only reason i ask is i feel a bit let down by the plastic feel of the pl1
Old 27th December 2011

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: e-pl1 discontinued?

toastie, no matter what happens to the model, it will always do the job you bought it to do !

Even when I bought my E-5 in May 2011 it was superseeded by an E-7 ! I dont care, I love it and the images it captures for me !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 28th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
well i have just received the olympus e-pl1 from my wife for christmas she got it from jessops when they did the twin lens deal and just wondered if it was because it was being discontinued as they dont even seem to stock it anymore?
also is the e-pl3 worth the extra money? the only reason i ask is i feel a bit let down by the plastic feel of the pl1
Hi Toastie,

The PL1 is still current as far as I know, but it has been around a while and there have been subsequent models in the range, namely the PL2 and PL3. Olympus position it as the budget, entry model to the Pen range and as such the mainly plastic construction is typical of what you would expect of any manufacturer's entry model.

The fact is, those PL1 twin lens kits represent fantastic value for money - it could be that Jessops don't stock them at the moment due to selling out over Christmas!

I still own a PL1, which is out on long term loan to a friend since I bought a P3. I will not deny that the P3 is a step up in terms of construction, feel, features, handling, performance (focus speed etc, not IQ), in fact just about everything. But it needs to excel, to justify the extra 600 your wife would have needed to pay to get a P3 twin kit! I qualified better performance from the P3 by excluding Image Quality; apart from a minor tweek you get the same sensor and the PL1 is capable of pictures every bit as good as from the P3.

The kit lenses that came with your PL1 are constructed to the same quality as those I got with my P3 and they are in the main cheap plastic, especially the mounts which I really would prefer to be metal. However, this does help to keep the weight down and doesn't affect image quality, which is extremely good for kit lenses - an advantage that Olympus has held over other major manufacturers for some time!

So don't fret about the construction of the E-PL1, take it out and enjoy it. Once you are accustomed to the handling (true of any camera) you will find that it is extremely versatile, capable of helping you produce some stunning pictures, and you will come to appreciate what an absolute bargain it really is!

Have fun and be sure to show us some pictures!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th December 2011
Smiffy

My wife got me the same kit from Jessops and I couldn't be happier with it. OK I'll agree, it feels a little "plasticky" but then when you consider that the camera with standard kit lens is being sold for 249.00 I think it has every right to be so. A couple of point & shooters I have purchased over the years haven't been far off this price and the difference in PQ and what you can do with the camera is like night and day.
With the twin lens kit @ 349.00 this has got to be one of the biggest bargains out there.
Old 28th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
My wife got me the same kit from Jessops and I couldn't be happier with it. OK I'll agree, it feels a little "plasticky" but then when you consider that the camera with standard kit lens is being sold for 249.00 I think it has every right to be so. A couple of point & shooters I have purchased over the years haven't been far off this price and the difference in PQ and what you can do with the camera is like night and day.
With the twin lens kit @ 349.00 this has got to be one of the biggest bargains out there.
Absolutely!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th March 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Used this camera in the Bahamas at the time I bought it at Heathrow on the way out the shots were great I got was very pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocean Club Drive Beach.jpg (12.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th March 2012

Liked 94 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Even when I bought my E-5 in May 2011 it was superseeded by an E-7......
Really? Do you know something I don't?
Old 19th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Really? Do you know something I don't?
Phew, I thought it was me there for a moment!!