Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 8th December 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3rd party lenses

Hi,
Anyone out there using any sort of 3rd party lenses via an adaptor ?

I've bought a 28mm f1.8 Vivitar manual lens plus the M42-m4/3rds adapter for the sum of 25.00.

So far it seems to work well for me, still getting the hang of it so any advice/ input would be most welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 3rd party lenses

I do. As do many others I believe.

Actually I use my MF lenses more than my AF ones.

I currently collect OM Zuiko lenses and M42 made in DDR and Soviet Union.

The only really useful advice I can give you is that manual focusing requires practice. A lot of it...
-Yoshihisa Maitani
Old 8th December 2011

Liked 1,153 Times in 454 Posts

Ah yes. Iv'e tried loads of legacy lenses in the past. Let me see: Hexanon 28mm 40mm* 50mm, Tamron 90mm* 135mm and 200mm, Nikon E series 50mm and 100mm* Vivitar 28mm f2.0 made by Tokina* and Kiron. Tamron 35-80 and 35-70 zooms.

I eventually sold all my manual lenses as I couldn't get the focus nailed with my E510 and E620. It's a whole lot easier with a Pen camera however. Currently I just have an Industar 50 (a copy of the original Tessar design dating from 1898 or so) and a Vivitar 200mm f3.5

I suggest you buy and try some cheap lenses. Use aperture priority. Focus wide open then stop the aperture down to your preferred number.

Most old lenses look pretty good by the time you stop down to f8. Most look poor to very poor wide open, however there are some rare exceptions. Those on my list marked with a * turn in a good performace wide open, and the Tamron SP90 is just plain exceptional.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for, the good lenses are known about and fetch high prices. I'd suggest the Nikon E 100mm as a sleeper, that hasn't become a cult classic yet, however you'd need another adapter.

Hope that helps

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948Kustom View Post
Hi,
Anyone out there using any sort of 3rd party lenses via an adaptor ?

I've bought a 28mm f1.8 Vivitar manual lens plus the M42-m4/3rds adapter for the sum of 25.00.

So far it seems to work well for me, still getting the hang of it so any advice/ input would be most welcomed.

Thanks.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 8th December 2011

Liked 1,294 Times in 792 Posts

As an OM system user for over 30 years I've got a dozen or so OM primes and just found a deal on a Samyang 85mm f1.4 so I use legacy/manual focus lenses as much as my HG and SHG glass.

If I like the 85mm I may pick up the 24mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 and put together a set of MF primes based around the Samyangs and my OM primes.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 8th December 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

m4/3 cameras are just made for manual lenses. So much more fun than plain old automatics! My 2 current favourites are Pete's old Tamron SP90, and a Voigtlander 75mm. The OM 28mm and 50mm are pretty good too.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 8th December 2011
pepper

I'm another manual lens user,

I use my old Panasonic DMC-L1 mainly, because it has a focus confirm light without having to buy any technical adaptors.

Unfortunately this means I haven't been able to try out more of my Leica M Summicrons that I own yet. Although I'm now considering buying an EP3, as it would mean I gain some excellent new manual lenses to use, including a lovely little Voigtlander 15mm wide angle lens.

With my bigger lenses my Leica R 50mm Summicron and my Nikon 85mm stand out as fantastic lenses.
Old 8th December 2011

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

I'm not m4/3, but I use several old and wonderful m42 mount lenses on my e520 with an adapter.

My favourite is a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 85mm lens...m42 mount, converted from Contax...made in 1949 and produces simply stunning results when I get it right...this is SOOC, with absolutely no editing. As this was my first attempt at using this lens, I was delighted with the result.

It's a real pleasure to use, and I'm SO glad that I was able to stop my friend selling it for a tenner as part of a job lot at a car boot sale after finding his dad's old camera gear in his attic!

Weird coincidence, but I approached a camera shop in Manchester with a view to getting it looked over and serviced...I've since discovered that the guy who responded is the guy who originally owned it!

I also have a CJZ Sonnar 135mm lens which is pretty good, and a delightful little Steinheil Munchen Cassar S 50mm lens which is as sharp as a pin and an absolute pleasure to use...and so very tiny!

I really love using these MF lenses, and it's SO easy with Olympus!

Janet

Old 19th March 2012
jiyunjiyun

+1
I used Contax G lenses on my E-pl1 body, they are great! small and sharp image.
The only non-ideal thing is that I can not use the 21mm and 28mm as the rear group is too long for the M4/3 body, and I need to face the 2X issue.
Old 19th March 2012
jiyunjiyun

The best thing of Oly vs Panasonic body is that Oly makes all your old MF lenses anti-shake!
Old 19th March 2012

Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts

Here is an image of a 20 million year old ant encased in amber taken with a Canon FD lens (50mm f1.8) on extension tubes

Roger